Effects of Heat Stroke and Exercise

Options
isislc
isislc Posts: 140 Member
Ok, can someone answer this question for me. A week ago on Saturday, I had heat stroke and was sick for a couple of days with the usual symptoms. Is it normal to feel like that again after spending ANY time in the sun?

On the Monday after I was sick, we had our boot camp in the sun like usual and started getting sick again. Luckily I was able to finish my time working out in the shade and still be in earshot of instructions from our trainer. It was everything all over again, light headed, nauseasness, etc. So I stayed out of the sun on Tuesday and our trainer held the next boot camp in the shade for Wednesday.

The next time I had any sun was this past Saturday but it was overcast and we had rain. I was also in a vehicle driving for 5 hours with air conditioning. Now I wake up this morning and I was sick all over again!! It was all the same symptoms and I don't know why I'm getting it again. Any insight on this?

I was sick all day and really sensitive to any lights, I could feel the heat emanating from any lights that were on as if I had sunburn, but I don't. Now I'm really worried about the next few days since I'm supposed to be spending most of my time outdoors. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I heat stroked when I was a kid (marching band in 4th of July parade) and I am STILL really sensitive to the heat at age 38.

I recommend you talk to your doctor... always better to be safe than sorry :flowerforyou:
  • 2SandyCheeks
    Options
    I Googled "heat stroke" and found this: "Heat stroke is a form of hyperthermia, an abnormally elevated body temperature with accompanying physical symptoms including changes in the nervous system function. Unlike heat cramps and heat exhaustion, two other forms of hyperthermia that are less severe, heat stroke is a true medical emergency that is often fatal if not properly and promptly treated. Heat stroke is also sometimes referred to as heatstroke or sun stroke. Severe hyperthermia is defined as a body temperature of 104 F (40 C) or higher."

Does that accurately describe what happened to you?

This sounds extremely serious. I think you should talk to a doctor ASAP.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My son had heat stroke while in Iraq with his USMC unit in 2005; the temps were in the 115-125 degree range. To this day, he has trouble dealing with extreme heat. The corpsmen who took care of him said his core body temp was 106 degrees. He worked outdoors construction, heavy equipment operator while on active duty & is still working outdoors in the Texas summers.

Please check in with your doctor; not something you want to play with and since over half of the country is experiencing extreme heat these days. Be careful & make sure you drink plenty of water when you are outdoors.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @2sandycheeks - Yup that's about right.

@all - Since the continuation at boot camp I have been keeping myself in shade and plenty of water. Even when I did SAG for our bike club, it was heavily overcast with rain and in the car air conditioned and drinking till my eyes float. It didn't matter, I was still sick. I need to make an appointment with my doctor in the next week or two anyways so I will see what she says. Thanks