What not to do after a Workout!!

Options
KDC1229
KDC1229 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
What not to do after a Workout!!

First First of all.. When we have finished that aweome workout you feel great like you have conquered your goal!! So why not have a snack....
---Dont go reaching for that greasy pizza or french fries..
Lets put it in perspective when you eat that pizza, fries or even choclate milk shake, these calories can reach over 1000 CALORIES!! That means for your workout you would have to run for 60 minutes straight or either walk for 4HRS!!
Now remember working out takes consistency, we all know that isnt always possible but it can not only be after a heavy-hitter meal. Here are a few hints to help you see the benefits from all your hard work!

1. Load Up on Fiber
Bulky foods will fill you up on fewer calories. Aim for 25 to 30 g of fiber per day. Include at least 5 g in every meal and snack. At meals, try 1/2 cup of black beans, 1 cup of split-pea soup, or 1 cup of steamed spinach with 1/2 cup of raw carrot sticks. For snacks, try an apple plus a handful of nuts, or a rye crisp bread and a pear.

2.Pack A Snack
If you’ve worked up a sweat for an hour or more, have a little something within 30 minutes of finishing, even if you don’t feel like it. The ideal snack has carbs to refuel your energy stores and protein to help repair muscle tissue. Shoot for 150 to 200 calories, such as a smoothie or a stick of string cheese with a few whole-wheat crackers. If you exercise for more than 90 minutes, you’ll need a more substantial, 200- to 250-calorie snack, like a turkey sandwich on one slice of low calorie- whole wheat bread depending on the type of exercise (for example: running 4 miles straight eat a slice of low-calorie cheese and a few crackers.

3. Quench Your Thirst with Water
Exercise is more likely to increase your thirst, but many people mistake thirst for hunger. Next time you have the munchies, especially post workout, try to satisfy your desire with calorie-free H2O. Sipping sweetened drinks can quickly override any calorie deficit created by working out.

4. Eat Low GI Foods
Eating meals that are low on the glycemic index (GI) — a measure of how quickly blood sugar spikes — can keep you from feeling ravenous. Low-GI foods elicit less of a blood sugar response, which can encourage the body to recruit its fat stores for fuel. They also tend to be high in fiber and protein, which can fend off hunger. On a daily basis, fill up on high-fiber grains and produce instead of more processed fare: steel-cut oats instead of instant and fresh peaches instead of the syrupy canned kind.

Remember to write it down and review your food daily- It is essential to see productive change!

source: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/diet-tips-stop-overeating-after-workouts

Replies

• KDC1229
    KDC1229 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I thought the source was on here. Thanks for catching that!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KDC1229 wrote: »
    2.Pack A Snack
    If you’ve worked up a sweat for an hour or more, have a little something within 30 minutes of finishing, even if you don’t feel like it. The ideal snack has carbs to refuel your energy stores and protein to help repair muscle tissue. Shoot for 150 to 200 calories, such as a smoothie or a stick of string cheese with a few whole-wheat crackers. If you exercise for more than 90 minutes, you’ll need a more substantial, 200- to 250-calorie snack, like a turkey sandwich on one slice of low calorie- whole wheat bread depending on the type of exercise (for example: running 4 miles straight eat a slice of low-calorie cheese and a few crackers.

Regarding this ...

In the cycling community, the general advice is this (not etched in stone or anything and things vary) ...

If you're riding for less than 2 hours, you probably don't need any extra calories. But bring a granola bar or something just in case. Sometimes there are things to deal with like strong wind or hills which can use up more energy than planned.

If you're riding for 2 to about 4 hours, you might want to aim to consume about 100 cal/hour. How you do that is up to you ... you might opt to nibble on granola bars throughout the ride, or stop for lunch mid-ride.

If you're riding for, say, approx. 4 to 8 hours (such as a 100-miler, a century), you might want to aim to consume about 200 cal/hour. If you're burning approx. 400 cal/hour, 200 cal/hour is about half that. And you might want to plan to eat a bit more regularly throughout the ride.

And when you go over about 8-ish hours, you might want to aim for 250 to possibly even 300 calories per hour. The longer you go, the more depleted you become and the harder it is to eat, so you'll want to try to stock up a little.

What you eat doesn't really matter ... just choose something that sits well with you.

Of course, that advice will likely be different for different sports. :)

I'll have to write that down for when I'm fit enough to do than 1 hour endurance sport (working on it and up from the 10 minutes I started at). It sounds like extremely sensible advice to me and a good reminder to fuel your body appropriately.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    KDC1229 wrote: »
    Lets put it in perspective when you eat that pizza, fries or even choclate milk shake, these calories can reach over 1000 CALORIES!! That means for your workout you would have to run for 60 minutes straight or either walk for 4HRS!!

Here's my perspective: I'll typically burn about 550 calories after 45 minutes of rowing. And let's say about an hour after, I eat your 1000 calorie pizza for lunch. That nets me 450 cals, which is about 100 calories less than what I typically average for lunch. So to recap, I got in my 45 minutes of cardio for the day, I netted 450 calories for lunch AND I got to eat a 1000 calorie pizza in the process. I don't know about you but to me, that's called winning! :#

mmmmm pizza! I'll work out specifically to fit a pizza into my day (not easy on less than 1500 if you want to eat breakfast and lunch on top of that pizza in the evening), and 1 slice of a homemade pizza is such a sad thing to see...
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you are talking strictly post workout you want to avoid FAT!
  • BHFF
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »

why???? no joke serious why.

A workout meal high in carbohydrates is required to refill muscle carbohydrate/energy stores along with any protein you are consuming. Eating fat can actually decrease the effectiveness of your post-workout beverage. Since fat slows down transit through the stomach, eating fat during the post workout period may slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and proteins.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Or I could just eat what I feel like eating and work it into my overall nutritional goals. Justifying eating a 1000 calorie snack because you worked out for half an hour is not going to lead to weight loss (if that's even your goal), but eating something you enjoy, because you enjoy it, and using exercise along with overall good eating habits is a good way to maintain one's sanity and health.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

why???? no joke serious why.

A workout meal high in carbohydrates is required to refill muscle carbohydrate/energy stores along with any protein you are consuming. Eating fat can actually decrease the effectiveness of your post-workout beverage. Since fat slows down transit through the stomach, eating fat during the post workout period may slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and proteins.

from Bodybuilding.com...

Okay well I read the article there and looked at the source but I still don't buy into that for regular people going to the gym etc.

It won't make a whole lot of difference to joe doing a 60min session 3x a week.
  • BHFF
    Options
    Yes it is a quote of course. It does make a difference your body does not have the ability to utilize the carbs and proteins to their maximum potential if you are adding fat into your post workout meal. A good source of carbs like a bagel, banana, rice and if you take a protein shake that as well. It is just one very quick meal and should have fat avoided in it.

I am not sure what you mean by "regular people" I am a regular person and I have avoided fat post workout and I have had fat post workout. Over the months I noticed a significant difference when I took the fat out of my post workout meal.

• KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya, not gonna ruin my session/day with something too high in calories, I rather have several nice meals on the day, but I check my weekly calorie intake so on the weekend I may have some beers, for some people pizza is worth making room, for me is beer, the bottom line is ... working out is awesome and I love those endorphines
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    why is this good advice? just curious.

seems quite generic to me and no source other than a magazine...is there studies to back this up?

Yes very generic. Nutrition and hydration around a 1 hour workout is really majoring in the minors. Not real critical. Eating and hydrating during the day is much more critical