2»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Why so many meds?

Because it is a painful surgery. Aren't you a nurse?
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sam's Choice (Walmart) makes an amazing chicken and beef bone broth that has 7g protein per cup and is 100 calories. Maybe sipping that could help? It comes in reduced sodium, which might go down easier.

I second baby foods. While they aren't the greatest, they are low calorie and very soft. Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots...and the fruits are pretty good.

Maybe cream of wheat for a morning breakfast? It's pretty smoothe.

Protein smoothie or a meal replacement shake for a few meals?

It's really tough, but like others have said, focus on getting better for now. When you are well, then you can focus more on your weight?

I hope you feel better soon!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple - follow the advice from your medical team and eat anything that fits their advice and that you can tolerate for now. You will soon be eating normally again, this is just a blip, don't overthink it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Why so many meds?

Because it is a painful surgery. Aren't you a nurse?

I'm sayin. It's a list of pain meds.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    witcherkar wrote: »
    I take ibuprofen then 3 hours later tylenol then 3 hours later ibuprofen and so on. So its 800 mg of ibuprofen and 1000 mg tylenol every 6 hours but spaces out. I also am taking hydrocodone every 4 hours.

You probably already know this but Hydrocodone contains acetaminophen (Tylenol). The max recommended dose of tylenol is 3000mg per day to avoid liver damage. If you're taking 3000mg in Tylenol, then taking Hydrocodone tablets (which contain usually 325mg Tylenol per tablet) every 4 hours, that's an additional couple thousand milligrams of Tylenol. Make sure your doctor is aware of that amount. Short term it might be ok, but likely not.

Anyway doesn't answer your original question, just food for thought.

Actually hydrocodone does NOT contain any acetaminophen (Tylenol). Combination drugs like Vicodin or Norco contain both hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Vicodin generally has 500 mg of acetaminophen per tablet and Norco has 325 mg. If your doctor actually did prescribe just hydrocodone then it's just that. Read your label to be sure.

Also recommended daily maximum for acetaminophen is 4000 mg, so 1000 mg every 6 hours is within that limit.

10 days after tonsillectomy is the most common time for scab to fall off and cause significant bleeding. I have been called in more than once for a tonsil re-bleed in the middle of the night.

Most of the time the pain is short lived, a few days. Some people find warm salt water gargles soothing. Call your doc for if you have questions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's best to keep to your doctors recommendations. Cold creamy shakes (not blended with ice, but with ice cream for example) are best. Don't worry about the calories for now. Your body needs to heal and it's only a couple of weeks. Just log your foods to make sure that you are more or less maintaining weight (set MFP to maintenance) and don't worry too much if you go above occasionally, your body would do a better job healing when it has the calories for it.