Trying to lose weight before graduating nursing school!

Options
Hi, all! I've been on here before many a year ago during my first stint in college! Now I'm back and I'm resolved to lose this weight I've been hanging on to!

I'm going to be thirty in July and I'm graduating nursing school next spring (knock on wood). I'd like to lose the weight before I graduate and I could use a little help!

Anyone else have the college blues and need that little extra motivation? I know it's hard when you're 30+ miles away from home and the only food close is Raisin' Canes or McDonald's!

Please don't be afraid to add me! We're in this together for the long haul!

Replies

• sekiseishi
    sekiseishi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump, in case anyone is interested.
  • escapetheblerch2014
    Options
    Hey I'm in a similar boat. Getting up there in my 20's and needing to make a change. I was fit when I was a freshman but slowly gained weight, got married and gained more. Trying to push and motivate myself to get back to being healthy
  • sekiseishi
    Options
    College life drives us to eat! I know that feeling really well! It's especially difficult when the places to eat cheap are fast food.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    How you doing Sekiesishi ? Hope your getting the motivation from MFP friends. We all need them.
  • gettinghealthy2016mfp
    Options
    hi I'm trying to lose before starting psych np
  • aquaandifish
    aquaandifish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly feeling you. 3rd semester nursing school and working on top of that. I've found portion controls are my biggest hurdle; I'll mindlessly eat as I study. I'm trying to use social apps to keep me focused on my goals and set aside "me" time.
  • deenmike
    deenmike Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, just checking the forums out for the first time and saw your post! I am in my 3rd semester of nursing school, and really want to be healthier and more fit when I graduate. Long shifts on my feet are going to require a more energetic, healthier me, for sure.
  • Sandy1930
    Sandy1930 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not in school, but in May my husband and I took in a sibling group of 3 and have since lost myself with all of my time going to them. Just getting back into the swing of things.
  • AshFitness98
    AshFitness98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time student and I work full time as well. I find it so convenient to just stop somewhere else but I've been doing better about it the last couple months. Feel free to add me
  • elleske
    elleske Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One of my classmates changed her diet and lost so much weight before graduating nursing school. She said the biggest motivator was she hated feeling out of breath providing patient care. I want to lose weight to be a better role model for my patients!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I bet learning about all the things that can go wrong with the body is a great motivation to lose weight and get healthy, right? The better we treat our bodies the better chance we have of avoiding disease and health conditions - as you well know. Also you'll have a very physically demanding and stressful job so a healthy strong body will be a great benefit. Good luck with your weight loss goals- be sure to do it in a healthy way and then maintain when you reach your goal. Exercise would help too in addition to better food choices and limiting calories- great way to destress too.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I'll be going back to school with 35 next fall! I can only imagine the challenges you're currently going through (but I bet I'll know all about them within a year :wink: )

Best of luck on your journey. I know you can do it :smile:
  • StartEveryDayNew
    StartEveryDayNew Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am in nursing school as well and graduate in May. I gained weight during school from stress eating but am losing it again now. Feel free to add me!!
  • sekiseishi
    Options
    It really is super easy to lose sight of your goals when all you're really focusing on is studying and staying about HESI exams and making it to the next level!

I'm also working as a CNA while I'm in school so I have a better understanding of what CNAs go through when I'm an RN. It really helps me reach my step goal. I can get 10k steps in four hours or less easy. What it doesn't help is my diet! Those nurses eat junk food like nobody's business! I'm trying to stay on target (I actually said no to pizza last night) but with so many goodies around work it can be difficult.