Body Beast In 2017

Options
I have looked around for active groups/discussions doing Body Beast and decided to begin my own in hopes of meeting others like me. If you are doing Body Beast or thinking about beginning the program as part of your 2017 lifestyle change, then please feel free to jump in.

I am beginning this week with the goal of losing 15 lbs and 5% body fat by May 1st.

Replies

• December1979
    December1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am planning on starting Body Beast tomorrow. I'm getting a bench today :)
    I'm looking forward to it. I just finished Chalean Extreme and loved it.
  • Gr84cstr
    Gr84cstr Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you will love the workouts, but eventually play the DVDs without sound. The trainer talks a lot and can get annoying. What goals are you setting yourself?
  • sadsongkrysy
    sadsongkrysy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5 of body beast, I previously did 2 rounds of p90x and 2 months of ice cream lifts 5x5s. I'm still about 40-50lbs away from my goal weight. I have beach body on demand so I'll be doing hammer and chisel after I complete this program. I use 5-30lb range of dumbbells so far. Loving it so far! :)
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    I enjoyed P90X also. I found P90X3 to be even better, but for those who enjoy more weights, Body Beast is the way to go.

I have gone four days without cheating on the diet, although today is the first day I ran out of time to exercise. Looks like double duty tomorrow.

A huge tip for muscle soreness, especially Legs Days... use a roller or massage stick on the muscles shortly after the workout. This has reduced the muscle soreness tremendously and I no longer walk like a zombie after Legs Day.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm debating another round of Les Mills Pump or a round of Body beast. I'm stumped. I've lost 50 lbs and I have another 20-25 to go.
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    I have always found doing what I think is more fun works. Either that or write a training plan calendar that mixes both.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Have you started your round of beast yet then?
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    I started my first week of my Body Beast hybrid. This morning I did P90X's Ab Ripper, followed by Body Beast Bulk Shoulders and Bulk Chest. My menu plan has been good so far, aiming for 40C/40P/20F.

• AngInCanada
    Options
    Ooh a hybrid. Nice!
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    It is early in the morning and I have not done my workout yet, but I thought I would drop a note to say HEY and share a few random thoughts.

My biggest goal is to drop at least 5% body fat, hopefully 7% before the summer arrives. Moving from St Louis to the Carolina beaches has inspired me to use my Beachbody workouts with gusto. I have a picture of myself from 3 years ago with washboard abs and kick myself when I think how I gave up on the fitness routine in 2016.

I have been using a bio-resistance body fat sensor for years. I remember being as low as 14% but I am now up to 19%. I compared it with a measurement taken from within an "Egg" which measures water displacement and my handheld sensor actually came close (within 1-2%) to the Egg's reading. Nonetheless, this month I bought a set of body fat calipers to compare results with. I will say it is very difficult to measure by myself. The three areas I pinch are on the chest, stomach, and thigh. The trick is to be certain you are pinching the same way consistently. Anyway, this morning the Omron sensor said 18.8% body fat and the calipers suggested 23%. I am not sure I like the calipers, but I may be biased due to the higher percentage it is giving me.

The key thing to remember is this: the amount of body fat is not as important as the trend in body fat. Obviously, I would like the calipers and Omron to be the same, but they measure fat differently and will give different results. However, as long as I see a downward trend in body fat over the course of the next few months I know I am making progress toward my goal.

So why use them at all if the exact number is not important? We do not want to be losing so much weight that we are losing muscle in the process. Think about this. You have been busting butt allowing Tony Horton's crew boss you around until you are lying in a pool of sweat and your body is barely able to function. You have worked hard to build those strong muscles. Muscles you DO NOT want to lose because you are in a rush to drop X number of pounds. By measuring body fat, you can determine how much lean muscle you have (in my case, around 157 lbs) and as the weeks go by I can estimate if I am on the right track. If, during my weight loss, I see my muscle mass drop, I need to add a few calories and slow my weight loss down. If it stays the same or actually goes up, I know I am doing this the correct way.

And this ties in to my final statement before I head off to church. Weight loss is not as important as how your clothes fit. Muscle weighs more than fat, and as long as you lose fat, your clothes will begin to fit better. You might not drop down to a certain weight you had hoped, but you will be losing those inches, which is the important thing.

Mike
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    I just finished my Body Beast Build Legs/ Bulk Arms workout. I have found that three days is not enough rest for my legs to recover from a Body Beast workout, so I had to re-write my exercise schedule to allow four days of rest. Sucks getting old, doesn't it?

So now my workout schedule looks like this:
    Day 1 - Build Legs / Bulk Arms
    Day 2 - Bulk Shoulders / Run
    Day 3 - P90X Ab Ripper / Bulk Chest / Bulk Back
    Day 4 - P90X3 Yoga
    Day 5 - Build Legs / Bulk Arms
    Day 6 - Bulk Shoulders / Run
    Day 7 - P90X Ab Ripper / Bulk Chest / Bulk Back
    Day 8 - Rest

Every 4th week will have more rest days mixed with yoga and P90X3 Isometrix / CVX.

The little OCD Voice in me is going crazy that the same workout cannot be on the same day of the week, but it will have to deal with it. Btw, I prefer Build Legs to Bulk Legs, although I add calf raises because I enjoy those too much.
  • December1979
    Options
    Hi everyone. Today was my 4th day. Cardio. I don't enjoy cardio (prefer weights) but this wasn't too bad. I would like to lose a bit more weight but I seem to be stuck where I am. The other workouts were good. A bit sore after each one but not bad.
    Mike- that's quite the workout schedule you have! Good for you :)
    I get so tired after one workout, I could never do more in one day.
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    Good morning, December!

It feels good to start a workout program and have a goal. Whether it is Day 4 or Day 40, you are making a lifestyle commitment many others don't even attempt. Enjoy the cardio while your muscles recover!

I figured if I am going to change into workout clothes and sweat, I may as well make it count and do a full 60 minutes. I'll see how I feel a month from now, but worst case scenario is I go to one BB workout a day and add more cardio.

Today is Bulk Shoulders, but I am going to try the rowing machine instead of a run. I'd like to see how I like that and possibly use that as a low impact cardio. I can change up my pace to increase/decrease intensity, but keep my joints happy.

Keep up the great work!

Mike
  • December1979
    Options
    Good morning!
    Today I do build shoulders. They are not as strong as I'd like them to be but after doing Chalean Extreme they are much better.

Yesterday I did Beast Abs but I may have to use another ab workout next time. I have lower back issues and some of his exercises irritated it so I ended just holding plank for a few instead.

Have a good day everyone!
    Erin
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    I like to use P90X Ab Ripper instead of an ab workout Body Beast uses. That gives me the best workout for the money. Not sure how that would affect your back.

Mike
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    Yesterday was not a great day for working out. My menu was right on target, but due to a phone that kept rebooting randomly, I had to make my way to Verizon to buy a new phone. Turns out, the problem is due to a firmware update Samsung pushed out and the S5 will eventually fix itself, but I have had the phone for two years and decided to upgrade anyway to an S7 Edge. Took over an hour of time I was going to use working out. So instead of Bulk Shoulders and Rowing, I managed to use a rowing machine for 30 minutes.

Today will be Bulk Back and Chest. Menu still on target.
  • December1979
    Options
    I did Build shoulders yesterday and loved it. So tough but it felt good. I also did 20 mins of squats and lunges, really got my heart rate up!

I'd like to try a rowing machine sometime, I think it'd be a great workout.

Rest day today but I may do some yoga and stretching.

Erin
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    Sometimes life happens and you end up with a no-notice 2hr errand after work that derails your plans to exercise. You simply have to accept that and press on. It is not a failure moment, but rather motivation to push yourself harder the next day.

I have been on my Body Beast hybrid program for 13 days and still going strong. It helps to have a little OCD, which really makes tracking calories and macros a breeze! I have stayed within 100 calories of my daily goals and my macros are within a couple % points of 40C/20F/40P. The end result is roughly 1 pound lost overall, along with 1% less body fat. This is close to target, plus it means I added a little muscle in the process.

Keep pushing yourself.
  • Stosha2319
    Stosha2319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started doing Body Beast on January 2nd. Yesterday was the start of week 3. This has been a program that I've come to love (first program ever too lol) & I've tried a few different ones. In the last 2 weeks I've lost a total of 8.1 lbs and dropped 2% body fat.
  • Gr84cstr
    Options
    Great to have you join us... It has been a bit quiet this week,, but we are here sweating.