high blood pressure?

Options
Hi

attended my GP last week and my BP was 169/93, so i was advised to go away and come back today. Seen the nurse ( had myself a little worked up) and my BP was 165/103 :-(.

Has anyone managed to reverse High BP? i know weight loss is paramount (i have 100lbs to lose), lost 5lbs this week, gave up alcohol and caffiene, but my BP is raised again, it really is a sad story and its getting me down I been crying since I came back home. Seeing the GP later today, hopefully he will give me a tablet to reduce my BP in the interim whilst i try and get as much weight off me in the coming months. Hopefully he doesn't find this unreasonable.

Sorry just needed to get this all off my chest :-(

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, blood pressure issues can be controlled with medicine if it comes down to it. It might be a good idea to research the DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension). Mine was 160/110 the first time my practitioner mentioned it to me. I had always been a daily exerciser and my diet wasn't too bad but now I am around 110/85 regularly.
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm also trying to lower my bp. The other things you can do are reduce sodium and exercise (this can be as simple as just taking a walk in the evenings).

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've also heard of people increasing their garlic intake.

Essentially weight, sodium, and stress contribute to high blood pressure, so whatever you can do to reduce those should help bring it down. You can also order a blood pressure cuff online for around $10 to $20 to monitor it yourself.
  • nursekirsty
    nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    kd_mazur wrote: »
    Fortunately, blood pressure issues can be controlled with medicine if it comes down to it. It might be a good idea to research the DASH diet (Dietary Approach to Stopping Hypertension). Mine was 160/110 the first time my practitioner mentioned it to me. I had always been a daily exerciser and my diet wasn't too bad but now I am around 110/85 regularly.

Thank you - I have looked at DASH and as I am in the UK, reviews indicated that it was difficult to follow based on some ingredients that the recipes require. Need to look more into it I think but the book is $8.

I was planning to go out tomorrow with my other half but cancelled it - this is really hard.

• nursekirsty
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm also trying to lower my bp. The other things you can do are reduce sodium and exercise (this can be as simple as just taking a walk in the evenings).

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've also heard of people increasing their garlic intake.

Essentially weight, sodium, and stress contribute to high blood pressure, so whatever you can do to reduce those should help bring it down. You can also order a blood pressure cuff online for around $10 to $20 to monitor it yourself.

thank you - I think stress could be a part but I am obviously overweight too, so its hard -(

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have lowered mine and so has my husband. First step is to eliminate sodium from your diet. I no longer cook with salt nor do I add it to my food. We do not use canned products, except soup occasionally as they are full of sodium. Frozen or fresh veggies. I walk everyday and drink the 64oz recommended water. I don't drink soda anymore either. I have lost just under 50 lbs since September 2016 but I also am eating 1200 calories per day. You can lower your bp. I am sure your doctor can put you on bp medication, it works for my husband and we have an at home bp machine. Every morning he sits quiet for about 10 minutes before his coffee (decaffeinated also) and checks his bp. When he goes to the doctor its always higher but he brought his machine with him as they are the same readings as the doctors machine so its anxiety just from being at the doctors office. Probably why yours was higher the 2nd time. Good luck this is very doable
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    OH one more thing the dash diet is very helpful too. Mostly eat veggies.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    By losing weight, exercising (just run/walking) both my husband and I have managed to lower our BP's significantly. Your reading really isn't too awful and can be managed through a low dose of HBP medication. My husband was on 3 different ones and I was on 2. We are both now on 1/2 a dose of 1 medication. Now, I have to be aware of when I take it and if my blood pressure actually goes too low. I notice that when I have completed a run/walk and had taken my medication before hand. Of course, high levels of sodium can cause a problem also - watch your sodium intake, drink a good amount of water, exercise and lose some weight and I can pretty much guess that your BP will come down to normal. And even if it doesn't, maintain your medication and you will be fine. My Grandma (104) still alive, has lived with elevated BP for years and years -- as well as my mother (83) has been on medication as long as I can remember! Doing Fantastic! So, nothing to fear if you need medication, take it!
  • nursekirsty
    Options
    GYATagain wrote: »
    By losing weight, exercising (just run/walking) both my husband and I have managed to lower our BP's significantly. Your reading really isn't too awful and can be managed through a low dose of HBP medication. My husband was on 3 different ones and I was on 2. We are both now on 1/2 a dose of 1 medication. Now, I have to be aware of when I take it and if my blood pressure actually goes too low. I notice that when I have completed a run/walk and had taken my medication before hand. Of course, high levels of sodium can cause a problem also - watch your sodium intake, drink a good amount of water, exercise and lose some weight and I can pretty much guess that your BP will come down to normal. And even if it doesn't, maintain your medication and you will be fine. My Grandma (104) still alive, has lived with elevated BP for years and years -- as well as my mother (83) has been on medication as long as I can remember! Doing Fantastic! So, nothing to fear if you need medication, take it!

Thank you so much for this - that's the problem I want the medication and to be reassessed every 10/15lbs I lose

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Losing weight (33 lbs), yoga!!! and running helped here. I watch the sodium intake too. Off the meds! :)
  • whyzgi
    whyzgi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I reversed my numbers through eating a clean diet(minimum sodium) and spending at least 3 hours/week(168 hours possible) in the gym exercising (resistance training/cardio). You need to get a BP checker at home and check it on a daily basis, especially if they put you on medication. If you do get a BP checker, make sure you understand the manufactures recommended method for use as you can get distorted readings if misused. Maybe even bring it to your next dr. visit to have them demonstrate.

Lastly, if they do put you on medication and you go over the top correcting your diet and exercising, your BP could go to low. This had happed to me and I got light headed during my cardio. After that I stopped taking the medication and have been maintaining a normal BP ever since.
  • DermotGallagher
    DermotGallagher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I reversed my borderline high BP (140/90) to 100/70 on my last GP visit. I blogged about my experience here:
    http://blog.dermotg.com/blood-pressure-reduction/
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm thin and have been fighting the high blood pressure for years. If the cause is overweight, then losing weight will help. If the cause is un-fit-ness, then getting cardiovascularly fit will help. If the cause is dietary, then eating more fish, nuts, avocado and less cheese and meat may help. Drinking enough water and not eating too much salt may help.

I had exhausted pretty much all the lifestyle changes, though, except stress, which I don't seem to be able to manage. The high blood pressure was becoming an additional stress so I asked for the medicine, an ARB drug. This worked spectacularly well, I take one half tablet a day and that little bit keeps it in the healthy range, so I don't have to worry about it.

If it is stressing you out, the drug is probably a good idea, just keep an eye on the blood pressure as you lose weight because too low is not good either, and it's usually not good to stop suddenly, you'd need a plan to scale back and end the medicine.
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know some are going to think this is an excuse but blood pressure issues can also be hereditary, in my family our average number is on the very high end of the "normal range". That being said I'm over that high end and take medication to help manage it. When I was first diagnosed, I too was very upset and it really threw me for a loop, I've now come to a place of acceptance but it did take some time. Don't be hard on yourself for being upset right now, there is nothing wrong with working through the emotions that come with this.

I have never used salt in my diet, growing up my Mum just never added it to stuff or put it on the table, so all my life I just haven't used it. That said, its amazing how many things have crazy amounts of salt in them, and that is why processed foods are so bad for me. I also avoid caffeine because I know it spikes my BP. My BP is managed nicely with the meds and in the meantime I exercise regularly and I'm working on getting some weight off because it truly does help. I also take my BP readings twice a day at home and track them via a free app (there are lots out there). I have major 'white coat syndrome' and it will always be extra high at the doctor's office, at the blood donor clinic and my personal favourite proof of my crazy, even at any of those BP reading machines at the local pharmacy.

To get a real number for BP you have to take readings over time and go with the average number, which is why I love the app tracking, it also allows me to email my readings and charts to my doc. I'd also suggest staying away from wrist monitors they are notoriously unreliable.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    After 11 years on Lisinopril I was taken off of it this week by my doctor. I have lost 50 pounds through diet, walking and running. Getting off the meds was one of my goals and a huge milestone for me. There is no denying the role of genetics but you can improve your numbers and maybe enough that you will not require medication.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hope you will be able to lower your blood pressure through diet and exercise. I unfortunately was not able to. I lost weight and got very fit a few years ago, and my blood pressure remained high. I am currently taking a very low dose of Atenolol for my high blood pressure and it is working great for me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was on blood pressure medication back in 2013/14. I lost 63 pounds and have been OFF blood pressure medication since and have normal BP. So far I have been med free via maintaining a proper weight and getting regular exercise (brisk walking). My husband was also on BP meds for years though never overweight. One day he decided to start walking on a regular basis and low and behold, he is now off BP meds.

Perhaps weight loss and exercise will help you also but as noted above, it does not work for all.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The basic premise of the DASH diet is eat more fruits and veggies. Keep an eye on your sodium intake (you can track it on MFP).

Some people can lower theirs with diet, weight loss, and/or medicine. I hope one of those will work for you. I've lost a lot of weight, eat more fruits and veggies than I like, keep sodium moderately low, and I still have HBP. I'm a sad case as my BP is high enough to be considered "high", but not high enough to qualify for medication, so I'm stuck on a lowish sodium diet forever. It's not as horrible as I make it sound, but there are foods I can't eat much of anymore and it cheeses me off quite a bit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I agree with advice to check out the DASH diet. There is plenty of information about it online. You shouldn't need to buy a book.
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/hbp_low.pdf
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20050989
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20047110

I'd also highly suggest getting a home BP monitor and checking your BP 2-3 times per day. My husband has hypertension and gets very apprehensive every time he goes to the doctor which elevates his BP (known as "white coat syndrome") so his doctor has him measure his BP at home and keep a log which he brings in. His BP is usually fine at home.
  • Mward614
    Mward614 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Managing your blood pressure is totally possible! Don't lose hope friend. A lot of factors contribute to blood pressure: weight, stress, sodium intake and genetics. I know what it's like to hear you've got high blood pressure- I recently had a similar experience at my GP 144/90; in fact they took it twice on both arms trying to rule of high blood pressure.
    Sounds like you've already taken some good steps toward lowering your blood pressure. But I would say this, it takes time- just like with weight loss all good things come with time. Be patient and keep doing what you're doing, your GP will help you get there just stick with it.
    Best Wishes <3
  • nursekirsty
    Options
    The doc has given 40mg propranolol twice daily - can increase to 80mg twice if I want on Monday - he thinks I have white coat syndrome and my blood pressure is probably a lot less out side the docs - getting a machine to take home next week - he thinks it's anxiety and not particularly weight related