Where is the fiber?!

Options
Started my healthy eating. Been losing weight, but focusing more on eating better and I found myself with an ..... issue. Not going into details, but I apparently need more fiber in my diet. I thought spinach and whole wheat bread was adding it, but my body is saying otherwise. Any suggestions? I really like food that I can eat as they are with little cooking, but am willing to hear other suggestion (it a forum, so I'd expect this :wink: ) But whole foods and simple pan fry and eat food would be nice.

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables have a lot of fiber. I'm over in fiber nearly every day. That could also be because I'm a big fan of prunes.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bran flakes!! one cup a day :o)
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I buy psyllium husk powder and drink it in a glass of water. It's like drinking cardboard dust, but I just slam it. For other ways to get fiber:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    also I look this up online about how much cause I have the same problem ;) 14g of fiber for every 1,000 calories....so I eat 1200 calories i changed my fiber to 17g...
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Pick a bean any bean! Half a cup of beans can average 7 grams of fiber. I use the ones in the can so you just have to rinse under cold water and throw in a salad or just eat as is! P.S. I don't mean green beans of course. :blushing:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Low carb tortillas and wraps are loaded with fiber.
  • 2SandyCheeks
    Options
    Some people need more fiber than others & sometimes a supplement is needed. Bene-fiber is flavorless and not at all gritty (it dissolves completely). There are also "Gummy Fiber" supplements. I give them to my step-son to keep him regular.

If you eat a high fiber cereal every morning, that might be all you need. Don't up your fiber intake too suddenly or you'll experience problems (gas). Increase it a little at a time and you should have any side-effects.
  • SUNNY613
    SUNNY613 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    FIBER ONE PRODUCTS...THEY HAVE A LOT TO CHOOSE FROM
  • Zockera
    Zockera Posts: 8
    Options
    Try Wheat Bran. I sprinkle a tablespoon on my food every morning. :)
  • cluitjens
    cluitjens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like gnu foods flavor & fiber bars. There are 7 different flavors. My favorite is cinnamon raisin. Each bar has 12 grams of fiber and 130 or 140 calories.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just ate a large grapefruit 432 grams - got 1/3 my fiber for the day. Eat more fruit. Tastes good, is easy, and fiber's not a problem.
  • sonpari24
    sonpari24 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i had a similar problem my doctor gave me fiber supplement.....u have to hydrate urself well n add a little butter or margerine in ur diet if u can
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There are two kinds of fiber-soluble and insoluble. You want some of each.

MFP's fiber goal is rather low, as most health organizations recommend women get at least 25 g per fay and men at least 30g.

An easy way to get more fiber and increase your Omega 3s is to add ground flaxseed to your foods. It's barely noticeable in smoothies, yogurt, baked goods, meatballs and meatloafs, over a salad, etc.