I'm new to mfp, looking for support

Options
Hello I have been trying to use MFP for about a week now. I originally downloaded the app to my smartphone over a month ago. I am frusterated already with trying to log everything I put in, especially when your new. I'm not sure what I entered that helped MFP calculate the measley 1430 calories I should be eating each day but I want a re-do.lol Does anyone else go to bed and awake feeling so hungry that you are nautious? Just asking;)

Replies

• smilie27
    smilie27 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello,

Im also new to MFP, When i done my log and what weight i wanted to lose etc....MFP gave me an allowance of 1200 calories, at first i was a bit like WOW, how am i going to survive on that but to be honest i have, at first i did wake up in the morning starving but after planning my food a bit better i feel fine now (and im losing weight which is a bonus!!)

Keep it up and im sure you'll do fine!!

x
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates calories to give the loss you select (1lb a week etc.) based on your height, weight, gender and activity level.

If you feel like you're not getting enough to eat, exercise regularly and eat back your exercise calories - MFP keeps a running total for you when you enter any exercise you do so you never have to guess. If I'm hungry but have no calories left for the day, I will walk, run or do an exercise video so I can eat more.

Also check whether the weight loss goals are appropriate. If you don't have much to lose, you may want to reset to 1/2 lb a week.

Make sure your activity level is set right. If you move around a lot at work, you might want to set your activity levels to active of lightly active. I sit on my bum all day so I'm sedentary!

Finally, eating less does take some adjustment. Ease into eating your target calories gradually, and in a week or so it will feel like you're eating plenty.

Good luck!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Usually your body needs time to adjust to any change, but if you really are feeling bad, it may be that your calorie-goal is set too low. Under MyHome, Setting, Update Diet/Fitness Profile you can adjust your daily activity level. I think for 1400 calories it is set at sedentary. These are the starting choices, so make sure yours is set accurately. Good Luck!

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • granneybec
    granneybec Posts: 10
    Options
    I have found that if you are doing something you love you forget about food. So right before bed I do my scrapbooking or painting and it keeps my mind off of food. And I do mfp in the morning because if I start logging my food at night all I do is think about food.