How to add weight lifting in myfitnesspal diary

Options
I wore my heart rate monitor while doing my strength training exercises today. I did bench press, shoulder press, bent over rows, arm curls etc.. At the end my HRM said I burned 323 calories. When I went to add this to my exercises today on myfitnesspal it wants me to enter each exercise, reps, weight and sets. Do I not get to add my calories? Or does calories burned during weight lifting differ than cardio calories lost? I am confused

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A HRM isn't meant to be used for weight lifting so the accuracy will be questionable but as Megan said you add it under cardio.
  • cssyti
    cssyti Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A HRM isn't meant to be used for weight lifting so the accuracy will be questionable but as Megan said you add it under cardio.

How do you calculate calories burned during weight lifting?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    cssyti wrote: »

You don't. It's virtually impossible and your HRM won't give you a sensible estimate.
    Just use the MFP generic strength estimate (under the CV section of the diary) for the duration of your workout - it's based on METS so automatically adjust for your weight.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I assumed it burned approx 200-400 calories an hour. Better way is to just use your TDEE instead of trying to figure out calories burned ever workout..
  • cssyti
    cssyti Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    cssyti wrote: »

You don't. It's virtually impossible and your HRM won't give you a sensible estimate.
    Just use the MFP generic strength estimate (under the CV section of the diary) for the duration of your workout - it's based on METS so automatically adjust for your weight.

Thank you :smile: