2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KDC1229 wrote: »
    2.Pack A Snack
    If you’ve worked up a sweat for an hour or more, have a little something within 30 minutes of finishing, even if you don’t feel like it. The ideal snack has carbs to refuel your energy stores and protein to help repair muscle tissue. Shoot for 150 to 200 calories, such as a smoothie or a stick of string cheese with a few whole-wheat crackers. If you exercise for more than 90 minutes, you’ll need a more substantial, 200- to 250-calorie snack, like a turkey sandwich on one slice of low calorie- whole wheat bread depending on the type of exercise (for example: running 4 miles straight eat a slice of low-calorie cheese and a few crackers.

Regarding this ...

In the cycling community, the general advice is this (not etched in stone or anything and things vary) ...

If you're riding for less than 2 hours, you probably don't need any extra calories. But bring a granola bar or something just in case. Sometimes there are things to deal with like strong wind or hills which can use up more energy than planned.

If you're riding for 2 to about 4 hours, you might want to aim to consume about 100 cal/hour. How you do that is up to you ... you might opt to nibble on granola bars throughout the ride, or stop for lunch mid-ride.

If you're riding for, say, approx. 4 to 8 hours (such as a 100-miler, a century), you might want to aim to consume about 200 cal/hour. If you're burning approx. 400 cal/hour, 200 cal/hour is about half that. And you might want to plan to eat a bit more regularly throughout the ride.

And when you go over about 8-ish hours, you might want to aim for 250 to possibly even 300 calories per hour. The longer you go, the more depleted you become and the harder it is to eat, so you'll want to try to stock up a little.

What you eat doesn't really matter ... just choose something that sits well with you.

Of course, that advice will likely be different for different sports. :)

The numbers I use are different but the concept is the same. At some point, if you ride long enough, it stops being a bike contest and becomes an eating contest.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If you are talking strictly post workout you want to avoid FAT!

why???? no joke serious why.

A workout meal high in carbohydrates is required to refill muscle carbohydrate/energy stores along with any protein you are consuming. Eating fat can actually decrease the effectiveness of your post-workout beverage. Since fat slows down transit through the stomach, eating fat during the post workout period may slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and proteins.

Please do enlighten me about glycogen storage......I'd like to also know how long I'd have to lift weights for until I burn up my storage.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    But in all seriousness, our goal should be education and assisting, not trying to use the truth like a hammer. Ever hear the quote, "Say what you mean, but don't say it mean?" This is my belief. CICO is the answer but to tear down someone within their first 10 posts is counterproductive, rude, and self-righteous. Take care.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    First First of all.. When we have finished that aweome workout you feel great like you have conquered your goal!! So why not have a snack....
    ---Dont go reaching for that greasy pizza or french fries..
    Lets put it in perspective when you eat that pizza, fries or even choclate milk shake, these calories can reach over 1000 CALORIES!! That means for your workout you would have to run for 60 minutes straight or either walk for 4HRS!!

In general, this is not terrible advice. Obviously, people who are really active and have a good handle on their calorie intake would have no issue working pizza or fries into their diet. But one of the most common pitfalls we see on the forums is people overestimating their calorie expenditure through exercise, so perspective is needed. I think we've all seen people think they burned 700 calories on the elliptical and use that as reasoning to eat a high calorie food, only to get frustrated that they aren't losing any weight.
    1. Load Up on Fiber
    Bulky foods will fill you up on fewer calories. Aim for 25 to 30 g of fiber per day. Include at least 5 g in every meal and snack. At meals, try 1/2 cup of black beans, 1 cup of split-pea soup, or 1 cup of steamed spinach with 1/2 cup of raw carrot sticks. For snacks, try an apple plus a handful of nuts, or a rye crisp bread and a pear.

On its face, not bad advice...if you are someone who feels full from fiber. Others find fat to be more satiating. It's all about finding what works for you. Hitting your fiber numbers is good for digestion.
    2.Pack A Snack
    If you’ve worked up a sweat for an hour or more, have a little something within 30 minutes of finishing, even if you don’t feel like it. The ideal snack has carbs to refuel your energy stores and protein to help repair muscle tissue. Shoot for 150 to 200 calories, such as a smoothie or a stick of string cheese with a few whole-wheat crackers. If you exercise for more than 90 minutes, you’ll need a more substantial, 200- to 250-calorie snack, like a turkey sandwich on one slice of low calorie- whole wheat bread depending on the type of exercise (for example: running 4 miles straight eat a slice of low-calorie cheese and a few crackers.

I would have to dig for studies on this, but I'm not sure it has much of an impact on individual progress or repair. Keeping yourself fueled to be able to keep doing your workouts is always a good idea though, so if having a snack helps you reach your calorie goal and keep up with your workouts, then go for it.
    3. Quench Your Thirst with Water
    Exercise is more likely to increase your thirst, but many people mistake thirst for hunger. Next time you have the munchies, especially post workout, try to satisfy your desire with calorie-free H2O. Sipping sweetened drinks can quickly override any calorie deficit created by working out.

Water and staying hydrated are good things. But no need to necessarily hit a specific intake goal if you are already showing signs of being well-hydrated.
    4. Eat Low GI Foods
    Eating meals that are low on the glycemic index (GI) — a measure of how quickly blood sugar spikes — can keep you from feeling ravenous. Low-GI foods elicit less of a blood sugar response, which can encourage the body to recruit its fat stores for fuel. They also tend to be high in fiber and protein, which can fend off hunger. On a daily basis, fill up on high-fiber grains and produce instead of more processed fare: steel-cut oats instead of instant and fresh peaches instead of the syrupy canned kind.

IIRC, the glycemic index is for consuming that food on its own, and the blood sugar spike changes if those foods are consumed with other foods. Including as many fresh, whole foods as possible is good advice.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    @KDC1229 - Thanks for sharing the article. :)

@kgeyser - Thanks for a little breakdown on it. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,023 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    2.Pack A Snack

Regarding this ...

In the cycling community, the general advice is this (not etched in stone or anything and things vary) ...

If you're riding for less than 2 hours, you probably don't need any extra calories. But bring a granola bar or something just in case. Sometimes there are things to deal with like strong wind or hills which can use up more energy than planned.

If you're riding for 2 to about 4 hours, you might want to aim to consume about 100 cal/hour. How you do that is up to you ... you might opt to nibble on granola bars throughout the ride, or stop for lunch mid-ride.

If you're riding for, say, approx. 4 to 8 hours (such as a 100-miler, a century), you might want to aim to consume about 200 cal/hour. If you're burning approx. 400 cal/hour, 200 cal/hour is about half that. And you might want to plan to eat a bit more regularly throughout the ride.

And when you go over about 8-ish hours, you might want to aim for 250 to possibly even 300 calories per hour. The longer you go, the more depleted you become and the harder it is to eat, so you'll want to try to stock up a little.

What you eat doesn't really matter ... just choose something that sits well with you.

Of course, that advice will likely be different for different sports. :)

The numbers I use are different but the concept is the same. At some point, if you ride long enough, it stops being a bike contest and becomes an eating contest.

Yes, you've got to experiment and find out what numbers and what foods work best for you. :)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I had a great run today and I've got a pizza in the oven right now. It will be good, just like it is every week. According to Trendweight I'm losing 2.5 lbs/week instead of the 1.5 I should be losing. Must be too much pizza.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If you are talking strictly post workout you want to avoid FAT!

why???? no joke serious why.

A workout meal high in carbohydrates is required to refill muscle carbohydrate/energy stores along with any protein you are consuming. Eating fat can actually decrease the effectiveness of your post-workout beverage. Since fat slows down transit through the stomach, eating fat during the post workout period may slow the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and proteins.

Prove it! This is the same old pseudoscience I've been hearing for 30 years. You look good so keep doing what you're doing. I'm not saying you're wrong and results speak volumes but I'll keep eating my Salmon post workout. I'm no expert (thanks for starting that thread BTW), but I don't buy into the "guzzle down a shake immediately following a workout" idea. Again, not proven. Studies that say "suggests that...", or "may contribute to..." are not proof of anything.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya, not gonna ruin my session/day with something too high in calories, I rather have several nice meals on the day, but I check my weekly calorie intake so on the weekend I may have some beers, for some people pizza is worth making room, for me is beer, the bottom line is ... working out is awesome and I love those endorphines

I really like your weekly perspective. I do the same. I weigh in on Fridays because it actually motivates me going into the weekend. If I've done well, I usually don't want to be a hog to stay on track and I can have a beer, maybe two over the weekend. If I'm over, I'm motivated to have a good diet weekend. Also, if I overdo the beer or food on the weekend I have 5 days to work hard for some gains or at least break even.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys, let's keep discussion in here on topic...
    What not to do after a Workout!!

First First of all.. When we have finished that aweome workout you feel great like you have conquered your goal!! So why not have a snack....
    ---Dont go reaching for that greasy pizza or french fries..
    Lets put it in perspective when you eat that pizza, fries or even choclate milk shake, these calories can reach over 1000 CALORIES!! That means for your workout you would have to run for 60 minutes straight or either walk for 4HRS!!
    Now remember working out takes consistency, we all know that isnt always possible but it can not only be after a heavy-hitter meal. Here are a few hints to help you see the benefits from all your hard work!

1. Load Up on Fiber
    Bulky foods will fill you up on fewer calories. Aim for 25 to 30 g of fiber per day. Include at least 5 g in every meal and snack. At meals, try 1/2 cup of black beans, 1 cup of split-pea soup, or 1 cup of steamed spinach with 1/2 cup of raw carrot sticks. For snacks, try an apple plus a handful of nuts, or a rye crisp bread and a pear.

2.Pack A Snack

3. Quench Your Thirst with Water
    Exercise is more likely to increase your thirst, but many people mistake thirst for hunger. Next time you have the munchies, especially post workout, try to satisfy your desire with calorie-free H2O. Sipping sweetened drinks can quickly override any calorie deficit created by working out.

4. Eat Low GI Foods
    Eating meals that are low on the glycemic index (GI) — a measure of how quickly blood sugar spikes — can keep you from feeling ravenous. Low-GI foods elicit less of a blood sugar response, which can encourage the body to recruit its fat stores for fuel. They also tend to be high in fiber and protein, which can fend off hunger. On a daily basis, fill up on high-fiber grains and produce instead of more processed fare: steel-cut oats instead of instant and fresh peaches instead of the syrupy canned kind.

Remember to write it down and review your food daily- It is essential to see productive change!

source: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/diet-tips-stop-overeating-after-workouts