Whole30

Anyone ever tried the Whole30 program?

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Paging @vikinglander :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I have done two rounds. I felt amazing on it (tons of energy, happy, lighter) but it messed with my head. Once I started to follow the reintroduction phase I was having panic attacks thinking I was going to react to that food. Just over one year later i still can't eat peanut butter without having a panic attack so I basically avoid it. It's restrictive and it is a good way to find out if a certain food is causing you issues but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it or not.
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    I have done two rounds. I felt amazing on it (tons of energy, happy, lighter) but it messed with my head. Once I started to follow the reintroduction phase I was having panic attacks thinking I was going to react to that food. Just over one year later i still can't eat peanut butter without having a panic attack so I basically avoid it. It's restrictive and it is a good way to find out if a certain food is causing you issues but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it or not.

I'm on day 4 and it's going pretty good so far. My primary reason for doing it is to see if certain foods are causing my joint issues. So far no change, but it's still early.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited January 2017
    I am on Day 12, but I am mostly doing it to reinforce my GF's efforts. I have been eating essentially Paleo since last February. My recommendation is to see it through, and see if it has any effect on your joints.

My right knee and hip are dramatically improved over the past year.
  • rnelson88
    Yeah I plan on following it thru. I've been in and out of Keto for the past year and that diet hasn't helped my joints. I guess we'll see with this one.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I should add, I also did the first 2 rounds to see if it would help Osteoarthritis. It did help a little bit but I also have celiac disease so a significant amount of pain went away when I went off gluten.
  • LiveFitMomma
    LiveFitMomma Posts: 7 Member
    I did a W30 in October and felt great, lost 11lbs, but once I re-introduced stuff, gained it all back plus 5. I still cook some recipes from the book, only problem is they're high in fat so the meals tend to be high on MFP. Its hard because I tend to want to do it again, but find myself scared to cut everything out. I want to learn how to eat everything in moderation that's why i'm back on MFP. I do feel the meals were healthy and tasted amazing. So i'll keep cooking what I like.. almost following Paleo. Need to cut out sugar and dairy!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    this is my second round with whole30. I'm on day 11. I also had issues with reintroduction and basically consumed everything in sight once the 30 days were up. This time around is different because my hubby and kids are doing it together. this has made a big difference and I'm not so consumed with what I can't eat. My hubby actually ask if I would do it with him because he has chronic back pain. He is NOT overweight, but has developed a little bit of a belly. Even though I do need to lose weight, that is not my main reason for doing this time. Helping my hubby, and encouraging my kids to eat healthy has been a huge motivator for me.

I would definitely recommend this "diet" but strongly suggest you read the book first. you can get at the library. I have not read the cookbook because pinterest has loads of whole30 recipe ideas.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    yes. well...it ended up a whole 90...
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    I've done it several times but found it to be too restrictive for me. I do believe it's a good way to kick bad habits for people who eat a lot of processed foods or fast food. Also, if you read a lot of the logs on the site you can get some new ideas for eating using real food.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    yes. well...it ended up a whole 90...

that's what I'm kinda striving for..... hubby and I want to do a long, drawn out, reintroduction to figure out if his sugar intake is making his pain worse. We are going to test foods individually to see if they cause issues
  • rnelson88
    Thank y'all for all your advice and opinions. I've read all the material, I just wanted to see if anybody had good or bad experiences with it. Just curious.
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    rnelson88, the biggest problem with doing a whole 30 is that it can be difficult to do if you travel a lot and have to eat in restaurants where you can't control what you're eating. And it requires a certain amount of pre-planning if you socialize a lot or aren't home much. Carrying compliant Luna bars or a few snacks such as carrots, nuts and such with you at all times can help with unplanned delays in getting home.
  • parisaayazi
    parisaayazi Posts: 2 Member
    i did last year and it made me feel really good, slept better, less headaches - i attribute that to the complete sugar restriction as i generally eat pretty healthy otherwise, but cutting dairy, grains and sugar at the same time really helped. I did the Whole 30 to a t and i lost 1 lb :) so i wouldn't do it for weight loss but for other reasons, definitely. Right now i need to lose about 60 lbs so i may need to do something else for a bit first :)