Making Beef Jerky help

Options
Hello!
So I loveeeee me some beef jerky, but that crap is $16 a pound at the cheapest.
I want to make my own and will be getting a dehydrator I found on Amazon for $35.

Does anybody here have personal experience making your own? Can I just buy lean steak, slice it, season it, and toss in the dehydrator or is it more involved than that? THANKS!

Replies

• eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We make our own all the time! We use ground beef, season it with low sodium stuff, use a jerky gun on our dehydrator and bam. it's super yummy too! Cheaper, less calories, less sodium etc. ;)
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    We make our own all the time! We use ground beef, season it with low sodium stuff, use a jerky gun on our dehydrator and bam. it's super yummy too! Cheaper, less calories, less sodium etc. ;)

OH NICE! Thanks for the input! I can't wait to do this. I had no idea we could use ground beef! wooot!
  • eissacf25
    Options
    brandi8484 wrote: »
    eissacf25 wrote: »

OH NICE! Thanks for the input! I can't wait to do this. I had no idea we could use ground beef! wooot!

No problem!! The jerky gun is pretty cheap on amazon as well! We have fun with doing different flavors, our last one was just with McCormick's steak seasoning spices. I want to do a teriyaki one next. Enjoy :smile:
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    @brandi8484 We make ours all the time, my son loves it and this way it's not full of preservatives or too much salt.. just buy a lean roast, slice evenly and thin, marinate in whatever seasoning you like and stick it in a low oven for a while. It's super simple...
  • brandi8484
    Options
    emilk2016 wrote: »
    @brandi8484 We make ours all the time, my son loves it and this way it's not full of preservatives or too much salt.. just buy a lean roast, slice evenly and thin, marinate in whatever seasoning you like and stick it in a low oven for a while. It's super simple...

great! thanks!
  • brandi8484
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I make it all the time. When I can get top round on sale. I marinate sliced strips for 24 hours in my special sauce and then lay it out on a cookie sheet. I have one of those toaster ovens with a convection fan. I set the temp. at 150F and let it dry overnight. Much better and cheaper than store bought.

I have a toaster oven too! maybe I won't even need to buy the dehydrator it sound like! yummmmmmmm
  • brandi8484
    edited January 2017
    Options
    yfwb89ni68jc.jpg
    It turned out GREAT! I used 80/20 ground beef, added peppers, 3teaspoons soy sauce & 6 teaspoons of brown sugar.
    Rolled it out really thin onto the cookie sheet, baked it at 150 for 7 hours.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My mom makes me beef jerky for care packages sometimes and it's so good! I think she put the meat in the freezer until it is slightly cold and slices it think and then hangs the strips on the racks of the oven. Cooks it on a low temperature for hours. It's seriously so delicious!
  • brandi8484
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I use a Mexican seasoning called Sazon Goya, lemon juice, soy and Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic powder, and black pepper. But I did not know that ground beef could be used for jerky. Looks good. I am going to try this. Thanks!

mmmmmmmm sounds so good! I'm going to try taco seasoning on my next batch!
  • eissacf25
    Options
    yay im so glad it worked out for you!!!! they look yummy!
  • BailTuck
    BailTuck Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I make mine. It's pretty easy. My dehydrator came with recipes. You can find low sodium recipes online that you can keep in the refrigerator. The salt is a preservative so it can sit out without refrigeration.