I just wantis to be able to take off my wedding ring

Options
piinkrevolver
piinkrevolver Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Ever since I had my daugter, things have changed. New shoes size, aches in strange places and my wedding rings are stuck on my finger. However I just want to be able to take them off. Not to go out as a single person. Just nostalgia from when they would swirl around on my finger... Even though I've changed my unhealthy lifestyle my rings are taunting me. Anyone elses stuck due to weight gain?

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I removed my rings early in pregnancy, so I had the same problem in reverse (needed to lose enough weight to get the rings back on again). Once I'd lost all the baby weight, I found that I was able to fit the rings on again. Exactly how much weight it will take varies though. After my first pregnancy, I was able to wear one ring at 20 pounds over pre-pregnancy weight and both rings at 10 pounds over pre-pregnancy weight. After my second pregnancy, I had to get down to 10 pounds over pre-pregnancy weight to wear one ring and all the way back to my pre-pregnancy weight to wear both.

Water weight (which is mostly what those swollen fingers are) can be a *kitten*.
  • piinkrevolver
    Options
    I can finally spin them around on my finger without trying too hard. Before they wouldn't move at all. Ugh
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I can get them on and off but it's a struggle and it can hurt when I do. My finger looks soooo fat and it takes away from how pretty my rings are lol. im debating getting them resized or just dealing with it and using them as another motivational tool ha.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Google or youtube "how to remove a stuck ring with dental floss" or "how to remove a stuck ring with string".
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you when I started this journey - couldn't take my ring off to save my life, but since then I have already had my ring re-sized once (it flew off my finger when I was shaking water off my hands) and will probably have to be re-sized again when I reach my goal weight! So chin up, there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have an opposite problem. I was at or close to my heaviest when I got married. My wedding ring is a combination of 2 types of gold, and we were told when we picked them out that they could not be re-sized. Now its too big for my 'ring' finger, so I wear it on the middle finger same hand.
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Same here I had to move my ring to my right hand since it keeps falling off my left hand now that I lost weight... I lost it so many times now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you truly can't get your rings off, you need to have them cut off for medical and safety reasons. There are problems that can arise from constricted blood and fluid flow. Cutting them off will not destroy the rings, the cut can be fixed, just like rings can be resized. This is more important than your feelings of nostalgia. I had my rings sized up and down several times over the years, then went several years when I couldn't get them on at all and didn't want to resize up again. Last fall I was able to get them resized back to what will the permanent smaller size.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am also the reverse. Took them off during pregnancy. Haven't worn them for over 25 years. Why didn't I have them made bigger, but I was waiting for me to get slimmer. That hasn't happened yet.
    My daughter had to go to hospital to get a ring cut off. Woke up that morning and the finger was really hurting her. Butter etc. would not help. I have heard afterwards that a jeweler can do this.
  • Keylimedreamer
    Keylimedreamer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I was having trouble getting my wedding ring on and off my finger, due to weight gain. When I mentioned this to a friend, she told me that she'd been told by a medical professional that it's very dangerous for women to wear a too-tight ring on that finger, as it affects blood flow to the heart. Don't know if this is correct but I felt it was too important to ignore, so I took mine off.
  • piinkrevolver
    Options
    This post is about wanting to lose the weight to get it on and off as I please not wanting a life hack or medical method or referral to remove it. Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry about that.
  • lorrpb
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This post is about wanting to lose the weight to get it on and off as I please not wanting a life hack or medical method or referral to remove it. Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry about that.

You were clear, and my concern is that it takes awhile to lose enough weight to get that ring off. Because a too tight ring presents a medical hazard, I felt I should mention this in case you weren't aware of that. You can get the ring removed and still lose weight! Certainly purse your weight loss goals, that's what this site is all about!

http://www.securiteconso.org/rings-and-wedding-bands/
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem but mine is actually because of a hand injury. As far as grip, I really only have use of my ring finger and little finger on my left hand. As a result, my ring finger is considerably larger than before, including the knuckle. Even though I am now 50 something pounds lighter than when I was married, my original ring is way too small.
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I can take my rings off but it takes a few wiggles I was wondering since I was at my thinnest when I was engaged the size is still the same so even if I lost weight will it reduce my finger size . Time will tell.... I hope so just a half a size would be nice for it to be snug but not leave the imprint
  • lorrpb
    Options
    melto1989 wrote: »
    I can take my rings off but it takes a few wiggles I was wondering since I was at my thinnest when I was engaged the size is still the same so even if I lost weight will it reduce my finger size . Time will tell.... I hope so just a half a size would be nice for it to be snug but not leave the imprint

If your rings got tighter when you gained weight, most likely they will get looser when you lose.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I am also the reverse. Took them off during pregnancy. Haven't worn them for over 25 years. Why didn't I have them made bigger, but I was waiting for me to get slimmer. That hasn't happened yet.

This was me, too - been married nearly 28 years, only wore my rings for the first four or so. I never wanted to get mine resized either, especially as my wedding band is patterned.

OP, you will be able to remove your rings again at some point, if you lose weight, but as someone else said the amount of loss needed may vary. For me, I couldn't get my rings over my knuckle a year ago, and it took 45lbs before I could do so comfortably. Even now, they still feel tight if my hands are warm so I can't wear them regularly yet. I'm still 20lbs or so over the weight I was at my wedding, though, so by the time I get to my goal I shouldn't have any issues and may even need to get them made smaller.

I used to look at my pudgy fingers and think that I'd never wear my rings again unless I gave in and got them resized, but it's happening. Concentrate on your calorie intake (you don't say what changing your "unhealthy lifestyle" involved, but if you want to lose weight then that's what you need to do), and in time you'll be able to twirl those rings again! :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I had stopped wearing rings due to worsening metal sensitivity but had no longer fit into my wedding rings. I had assumed that it was joint swelling from my pregnancy at 40, because there was one point where I wasn't terribly overweight, but nope. My engagement ring is tiny. It's only a 4 1/2. My wedding band is a 5 because it's as small as the jeweler could size it without compromising the stone settings. I have small hands.

They fit again. Keep at it, OP. You'll get there. I'm at a weight I haven't been since elementary school!

Still can't wear them, though. I can't wear any jewelry any more.
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wasn't able to remove mine for a couple years, but now am able to since I lost 10 lbs. It's easier some times during the day than others.
  • whiskey5jda2008
    whiskey5jda2008 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    just be careful with those rings. you don't want them cutting off your circulation and then having to have them removed in the ER.