Good ways to lose weight?

Options
What are some good ways to start losing weight other then eating healthy and working out? Especially if you have a messed up thyroid?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Logging your food on MFP and following your calorie goal is a good place to start...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eating healthy is kind of like looking at good art. The definition of 'healthy' and 'good' will vary person to person. And does not guarantee weight loss.

To lose weight:
    *Accurately & honestly tracking your food (and drink, condiment, cooking oil, etc.) consumption
    *Enter your information into MFP, including height/weight/age/gender and activity level
    *Select a weight loss goal such as .5 or 1 pound per week
    *Eat the recommended calories per day, referring back to the 1st bullet point
    *To be accurate on your food log, use a food scale for all solids and cups/spoons only for liquids

Regarding the thyroid, consult your doctor to check your medicine levels and determine if they need to be adjusted. Other than that, the thyroid condition can make the accuracy & honesty portion of food logging even more important. Honesty means logging everything, even a bite of this or a taste of that. (Or avoiding that sort of thing if its too hard to track.) Accuracy means accounting for it all, and avid food scale use.
  • kaitlinbm12
    kaitlinbm12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    But I also have a bad thyroid which also makes it harder to lose weight
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Yes...but there still isn't any kind of magic. Are you on meds?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Then you can start tracking calories according to MyFitnessPal recommendations for a few weeks and then start adjusting down according to results. In the meantime, you should seek treatment for your condition.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Are you on medication to regulate those hormones? Then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Start logging every piece of food you put in your mouth, it is shocking to find out how many calories are consumed when not paying attention. From there you figure out a system of cooking and eating that eliminates high calorie meals.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    This question kind of sounds like someone saying, "I know what I need to do to lose weight, but what can I do other than that?" If someone isn't willing to make the changes in their habits that they know they need to make then it is pretty much hopeless.

I didn't get that at all. My takeaway from the OP is that she's under the impression that "eating healthy and working out" is the only way to lose weight.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What are some good ways to start losing weight other then eating healthy and working out? Especially if you have a messed up thyroid?

Don't overestimate the importance of thyroid hormone in this. In worst case scenarios this has an impact of ~5% to your BMR/REE.

Ensure you are being properly diagnosed and treated through a full thyroid panel and not just TSH. This includes TSH (0.2-2.0), fT3, fT4, rT3.

Other than that there is no difference. This is nothing more than managing a caloric budget to get to your desired weight.

I've been sans thyroid gland since 2000. I paid no attention to my diet and gained 70 lbs over 14 years. Once I started tracking calories and being aware of my intake I lost 60 lbs in a year.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    My thyroid hasn't worked in years. I take my replacement hormone faithfully and as I'm supposed to. To lose weight, I've been eating less and exercising.
  • kaitlinbm12
    kaitlinbm12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what I need to do. And I do eat healthy and work out. And I do take my thyroid meds. I just wanted to hear what everyone else is doing as well. I didn't wanna hear criticism.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Also, "healthy" is a relative term. I had a cheeseburger and fries for dinner last night; I had pizza for dinner tonight; my kids and I made chocolate chip cookies earlier, and I had two of them. None of those are stereotypically "healthy" food, but they fit in the context of my overall calorie and macro goals, so I ate them. What matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. If you're eating too many calories for you to lose weight, the nutritional profile of that food is irrelevant.
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Crazycatladytracey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I got a messed up thyroid, type 2 diabetes insulin dependant and I'm bipolar. It's very hard to loose weight. Back in 2001 I did go from a size 24 to a 16 but then 4 babies later, changes in medication I'm back up a 24, two years ago I was a 30 but I managed to loose some weight and now it's stuck again
  • Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    As far as I know I don't have a thyroid issue. Despite cutting down food portions and exercising more, I don't seem to be making any progress. I am losing inches but my weight is the same. I am so lost.