Sugar

Options
I am trying really hard to cut down on sugar and so far succeeding but I was wondering if anyone had any snack ideas that are low or no sugar?
I usually have crudités and houmous, nuts, an egg or a naked bar if I want something sweet but looking for new ones... I always seem to be at the high end or just over so I think I need some new ideas.

Replies

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    Fresh fruit

Fruit is pretty high in sugar.

Cheese, plain Greek yogurt and natural PB, chopped veggies with a Greek yogurt onion dip, chunks of grilled chicken, pickles, olives.

Do you have a medical reason to cut down on sugar?
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    Fresh fruit

Fruit is pretty high in sugar.
    Yes, but it's all natural. While it's usually a good idea to cut down on added sugars, there rarely any reason to cut out sugars naturally occurring in whole foods.

When I'm craving a cookie, an egg won't cut it. But a fresh fruit will. And it's high in nutrients.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you like popcorn? Angies Boom Chicka Pop makes a lightly sweet popcorn. Not a full out kettlecorn, but just enough.

Diet hot chocolate - I make my own with Splenda. Still chocolately, but fewer calories. Plus it takes awhile to drink.

Chocolate or caramel flavored teas. A splash of milk and a little sugar....yum. Yogi Mayan Cocoa Spice and Bigelow Vanilla Caramel are two of my favorites.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (I really do like it). 113g of the full-fat stuff, with a pinch of black pepper and a few diced kalamatta olives mixed in...
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do fruit, yogurt, or sometimes an Adkins bar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy (cheese, etc), meats and seafood, eggs. Perhaps some nuts if you don't ind carbs. Veggies too.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pistachios
  • SeniorsRock
    SeniorsRock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You also said low sugar. According to what I just read 10g sugar and less is low. With that in mind a cup of fresh strawberries have 7g of sugar. A boiled egg won't cut it for me either during a sugar attack. Prayerfully with time I'll cut the sugar out all together. Good Luck.
  • jh5377
    jh5377 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i honesstly find i dont crave sugar at all as long as im eating a good amount of fruit a day. Like no craavings what so every for sugar today and i had a banana and strawberries so i believe that took care of the craving.
    cup of tea always helps also, when it was real bad i would add half a teaspoon of sugar to tea and that normally did the trick also. I have to stay out of the kitchen else i'll pick
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try some Skyr yoghurt or other version that's protein rich. Alternatively, low fat cheese (30g portion) is usually good as a snack.

For sweet things, try popcorn that's not got a lot of added sugar to it or how about making your own flapjacks with rolled oats and sugar substitute?

Hope this helps