Once again

Options
I've started up again and I'm looking for healthy foods to replace the junk! So far I've quit drinking soda almost completely. Cut fast food over half as often. My struggles are quitting soda completely and my coffee shop drinks! I'd make coffee at home but I need creamer which is bad too. Any ideas and more friends for motivation is helpful!!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Restricting the foods you enjoy is clearly not working for you. It wouldn't work for me either. And frankly, I believe that restrictive diets set us up to fail because at some point, we break and go back to the soda, the fast food, etc. Why not try to fit those foods into your daily calorie goal? At the end of the day, weight loss isn't about which foods you eat but rather, how much of those foods you eat.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Food isn't junk - food is nourishment. There's absolutely nothing wrong with creamer - I use it but more often I use almond milk (or similar) because I can get more for fewer calories. I also have several bottles of various flavors of sugar free torani syrups. I love my coffee! I use truvia when I need a little sweetener.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to find alternatives.

If you're craving sweet and salty, try a dab of pure honey on saltines. One serving is under 100 calories.

I've recently taken to clif kid z bars. They taste like cookies to me. Iced lemon cookie, iced oatmeal cookie, and s'mores are all good ones. They have a chocolate chip I'm sure would taste great as well.

I agree with above posted about almond milk in coffee. The light vanilla variety is 60 calories per 8 ounce serving. The same calories as just 2 creamer packets.

If you like chocolate, I always recommend buying a higher quality chocolate. It's richer so you most likely won't feel the need to eat a bunch.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I still drink soda and coffee daily. I've went down on the creamer which helps my calories. If I would out and have extra calories, I add more creamer.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Do you do protein powder? If so, A scoop of protein powder mixed with coffee and a bit of milk (I prefer chocolate milk) is quite tasty.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you know what "healthy foods" is? Maybe a silly question, but it's hard to find something when you don't know what you are looking for. Not knowing, and still keep trying, is a recipe for a stressful life. Maybe you will struggle less if you stop dividing foods into good and bad, healthy and unhealthy, and instead look at your diet as a whole. It's about balance. Get in the amount of calories you need every day (or week). Don't eat too little. Don't eat too much. While eating nothing but fast food and drinking soda all day isn't ideal, soda and fast food isn't poisonous. Have your soda. But also eat your vegetables. Enjoy fast food. But home cooked meals can also be nice.

Eat food you like. Life is hard enough without suffering through meal after meal of foods we hate.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Try switch from regular soda to diet or sparkling water. I found when I tried to quit that I was more addicted to the carbonation than the soda itself. You can also try going for healthier options at fast food places (grilled chicken, apple slices instead of fries, etc.). As for coffee, I put whole milk in mine. It helps me get in some calcium and I honestly think it tastes better than creamer, but that's just me.

Honestly, I've ultimately found that cutting things out does work for me, but doing it gradually works better than doing it all at once.