Breaking away from junk food.

Options
How do you eat right when house mates buy junk? And you can't afford to buy the healthy stuff?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Forget "eat right", "junk food", and "healthy food is expensive".
    Eat food you like, but in moderate amounts.
    Don't eat other people's food.
    Buy simple single food ingredients, and cook.
  • jesicaroberts9291
    Options
    It's more expensive to buy ingredients then it is to buy ramen, chicken nuggets, pizza roles ECT. And that's what I'm calling junk premade stuff u just microwave. When the people who buy most the food buy that it's hard not to eat anything that's not bad for you
  • IWantToFloat
    IWantToFloat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's more expensive to buy ingredients then it is to buy ramen, chicken nuggets, pizza roles ECT. And that's what I'm calling junk premade stuff u just microwave. When the people who buy most the food buy that it's hard not to eat anything that's not bad for you

Start small. Potatoes are super cheap and you can do a lot more with them. Slice them and back them to replace fries. Just bake them plain and you've got yourself a lovely baked potato. A 5+lb bag of potatoes is less than $5 typically. Potatoes are not the best food, but it is a start and cheaper than ramen usually, more filling, etc.
    Try buying pasta, and making you own sauce with simple ingredients, canned diced tomatoes are really cheap and add some spices, even if it's just pepper it's something.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No foods are "bad for you" - it's about dosage and context.
    What ingredients have you bought that are so expensive?
    Are you not buying your own food?
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bananas,any fruit/veg in season veggie bake/sweet potatoes _yogurt,cottage cheese,canned tuna,rolled oats_avocado/peanut butter on whole wheat bread,pack of raisins_super simple&healthy :smile:
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    & eggs! inexpensive compared to most meat& very nutritious_i usually eat 2-4 a day (for dinner) to keep costs down myself :smile:
  • Honeythighs
    Honeythighs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 - 30$ food budget for two people so I understand the challenge of buying healthier food. I do agree with others about eating in moderate amounts. Even junk food.

There's a few things I make sure to buy each week because they're healthy and cheap. Lettuce is one of these. I don't buy bagged because it tends to go bad quickly, it's also more expensive for the quantity. I never eat salads, because I don't like them. I prefer wrapping things in lettuce leaves. I take a protein, small spoon of rice, place on lettuce leaf wrapped like a bundle and eat it. The lettuce really fills you up. I've done this with empanada also, taco seasoning spiced potatoes, chicken salad, rice noodles etc. I'm sure ramen drained of the broth or even pizza rolls would work well, and be delicious. It might not be the healthiest things ever but would make it healthier.

If anything I've said sounds interesting, please feel free to pm me. I have no problem helping you to figure out a healthy food budget/what to buy, and ways to work with what you have, in more detail.

• wesleybyte
    wesleybyte Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd love to talk about how to afford healthy food that doesn't take hours to cook each day on a tight budget. I don't have all the answers tho.
  • jesicaroberts9291
    Options
    Thank u guys. My two housemates are also family and are picky eaters. ( One was raised that veggies r for rabbits) and the other and I want him to eat healthier cuz of his health issues. He has cut down to 3 Dr peppers a day which is ALOT better then what he was drinking. And to answer the ? Bout me buying my own food we all contribute and sadly IV recently become in imployed and work with food stamps of an amount that's just barely over $50. So the other two buy most of it. I buy the stuff I cook with. My husband buys soda and microwave stuff, chips exc. So I do welcome advice
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    do you get the flyers in the mail with coupons, or have a grocery store near you that does loyalty points? I buy lots of things that way (i.e. my local safeway had greek yoghurt as 10 for $10) which is 2 weeks worth of part of my breakfast - also bagels which were buy one, get one free - stuff like that
  • IWantToFloat
    IWantToFloat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys. My two housemates are also family and are picky eaters. ( One was raised that veggies r for rabbits) and the other and I want him to eat healthier cuz of his health issues. He has cut down to 3 Dr peppers a day which is ALOT better then what he was drinking. And to answer the ? Bout me buying my own food we all contribute and sadly IV recently become in imployed and work with food stamps of an amount that's just barely over $50. So the other two buy most of it. I buy the stuff I cook with. My husband buys soda and microwave stuff, chips exc. So I do welcome advice

I honestly understand this really well. I share meals with someone that eats junk or really well prepared food. I'm not a good cook yet so it's been *kitten* tough. Shop sales and don't experiment with meals until your comfortable with staple dishes because you may just end up wasting food.
  • dancingshooz
    dancingshooz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What really helped me was weening down from tons of junk food. I bought a bag of Hershey kisses (something I don't love and won't eat more than a few of tops) and when I really feel out of cover, I have one. It gave me that couple seconds of tasting something sweet and only cost me a few calories