171 lbs lost! From 438 to 267 in 24 months!

Options
At the end of 2014, I weighed at least 438 lbs. I had not been to the doctor to be weighed in a few months, but that was the last weight in my records. If anything, I had gained weight. I had just left the most miserable job I had ever had and was seriously depressed about it, as job prospects for 48 year old paralegals weighing nearly 450 lbs are in short supply. As a result of leaving the high stress job that was slowly killing me, I made some inadvertent positive changes to my lifestyle: I started sleeping more, eating better and being more active (instead of being stuck in a car or at a desk). As a result, I started losing weight and when I went to the doctor in early 2015, I had lost 40 lbs and the process started snowballing from there. I made nutrition and fitness my new focus in life and continued making positive changes: I joined a gym that I actually use; I started eating a Paleo diet; I joined MFP and made some awesome friends, and by 2016, I had lost over 100 lbs and frankly shocked my doctor. The weight loss is only one of many positive things that have happened in my life since I lost weight: I am no longer in pain all the time; many health problems which were poised to become major conditions have resolved; I went back to work in my field (apparently there is a market for 49 yo paralegals who can move); and since I have learned so much about nutrition and weight loss, I started a blog (https://takingthelongweightoskinny.com/) so I can pass on the information I am learning. Probably the biggest factor in my weight loss has been the community and support I've received from my friends on MFP. Any time I had a question or felt confused or just plain discouraged, my friends have never failed to offer support, motivation and to point me in the right direction for answers to whatever questions I may have. I honestly never thought I could lose 50 lbs and keep it off for any length of time. If someone had told me I'd be 50 yo and weighing what I weighed in college, I'd have said they were insane, but here I am! It doesn't take a miracle, even if it feels like it; it just takes the right information and the will to use it!

Replies

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    What an amazing achievement! Congratulations on not only the loss, but also your attitude on how to maintain the loss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So incredible! Stories like yours kept me going during my 2+ year journey to lose 149 lb, now in maintenance. When I felt discouraged, I would think of people like you who had an even longer journey, and figured if you can keep going, so could I!
  • pattyschrovez
    pattyschrovez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your amazing, inspirational story! I have just started my weight loss journey and it is truly encouraging to hear stories such as yours!!
  • leeshults
    leeshults Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Incredible!!
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, friend! It's been wonderful and inspirational following your journey. :)
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    You're an inspiration my friend!
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Truly inspirational! Awesome job!!!
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Since you didn't include pictures, I creeped your profile in hopes of finding some. Luckily there were a few. Too bad you didn't include them because they really show the results of your fantastic journey. Great job!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    It is amazing that you just turned your health around; just like that! It shows it can be done..that light bulb just has to go off. You're amazing and I wish you well as your continue on your path. You should be so proud.
  • Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Very inspirational story, thank you for sharing. Best of luck on your continued success!
  • barbeedwards
    barbeedwards Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration. I'm 8.6 pounds into my weight loss with goal to lose 100. At 53 I'm wanting to have a quality of life instead of medication ran life. I'm finally tired of being sick and tired.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's nice of you to post this when so many people are starting and need to see what is possible. Thank you so much, you have an awesome story and I wish you luck with the rest of your journey.
  • dorisj717
    dorisj717 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and healthier lifestyle, (turning 50) your entering the best phase of your life! (I'm turning 50 in a couple of weeks).
  • dorisj717
    dorisj717 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration. I'm 8.6 pounds into my weight loss with goal to lose 100. At 53 I'm wanting to have a quality of life instead of medication ran life. I'm finally tired of being sick and tired.

You can do it!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You are a inspiration. Don't ever feel otherwise.
  • FitChick_42
    FitChick_42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Well done and I started reading your blog and loved it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!