"Fat" Clothes!

Options
I had a bit of a closet clear out at the weekend and binned a load of clothes (well- planning to give to charity) that I neither wear anymore or are too loose.

I still have about 4 or 5 pairs of trousers in the next size down that I don't fit back into yet- I tried them on and although some I can get on just about they are not comfortable and make me look horrible, or I can't yet do the zip/buttons up.

However I have got two pairs of really nice jeans that I am reluctant to throw away- they are massive on me now so cannot be worn but I keep wondering if I am being too hasty and should keep them "in case" I put weight on again. Is this a bad idea & should I just cleanse them from my life altogether?? My friend said I should keep them incase I get pregnant lol

What do you do with your clothes that are now too big for you?

Replies

• keash
    keash Posts: 12
    Options
    I'd say, keep one pair to keep comparing how big you were when you need a pick me up but clean out the rest.

You are on here, so you obivously don't want to put the weight back again, so why keep clothes "just in case"?? You don't need to safety net, the weight is staying gone :-)
  • smilie27
    smilie27 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello....

I have a pair of jeans that i used to wear(when i was bigger!) i keep these as an incentive as to never ever putting them on again as i dont want to be like that anymore.
    And then i have a pair of skinny jeans that are just that bit too tight on me, thats what im working towards...and more!

For any clothes that you no longer want why not donate them to you local charity shop? Someone might love them!

xx
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    DO NOT keep them "just in case." You are giving yourself permission to gain back that weight. Completely agree with the thought of them being a "safety net." I was going to write that same thing. If you want them as a reminder of how far you have come, just take a picture of you in them or holding them up and wave good bye to them. And just remember that someone out there needs new clothes that they can't afford.

And think about those jeans you can't get into, will you really wear them again? I hauled around several pairs of jeans for years, only to get in them, and promptly donate them. More like "mom" jeans than anything and I am much more hip than that.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If you think you might be pregnant in the future, I would keep them, but stick them away in storage and just forget about them. Nothing like having to go buy "after baby" clothes when you aren't planning to wear them for long. I don't think you will gain weight back just so you can wear them again!:wink:
  • wolfiesgirl
    wolfiesgirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I gave loads of mine to charity but sold all the better stuff on ebay, after losing 64 lbs, I am not going back there! I have kept 1 pair of old jeans to remind me of how I was but that is it. It's expensive losing weight, I've used the ebay money to buy new clothes. x
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How about replacing those really nice "fat" jeans with some really nice "skinny" jeans? Sell the really nice "fat" ones on Craigslist or eBay if they are worth a lot and are in great condition.
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My vote would be to recycle them.....

You need to be positive about where you are heading...

If you get pregnant - come back on this forum and ask for other peoples success give aways !!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I donate everything as it gets too big...no going back....
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I say keep one pair but not because you "might" gain weight back. Keep them only to compare to your smaller jeans to show what you have accomplished.
  • aforementionedfit
    aforementionedfit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I struggled too with those feelings, but decided to get rid of them. It's very freeing to purge them from my life, even the pieces that I loved at one time. Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • kaitedid
    kaitedid Posts: 33
    Options
    Get rid of them...list them on ebay, find a friend who whas bigger than you and losing weight and see if they need them for transistion clothes! I just gave all of my stuff to family that was in from Florida...I don't even want to see them!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]6366809.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get to my goal weight I am torching (giving away) ALL my closet. I NEVER want to be 18/20 size again. I think you should have a mind set that you will NOT gain weight! And when you get pregnant, you'll need appropriate maternity clothes or it becomes too uncomfortable in the belly area :)
  • alexfaty
    alexfaty Posts: 61
    Options
    HI, think I agree with you friend, keep them for pregnancy, if thats what you are planning.

When I got pregnant there seams to ages when you are just not big enough for maternity clothes but too big for your normal stuff, then the same applies after you have had a baby... Still does for me, getting back to the old stuff! But put them in one of those bags that you suck all the air out off and put them in the loft or somewhere you can forget about them until the time comes...
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Sell them on ebay !!!

Seriously - do not keep fat clothes - 'just incase' - that is insane.

If you get pregnant then you will need proper maternity wear.

You've remineded me that I have a few pairs of jeans that are now too big for me that I need to get rid of!
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    get rid, i didn't last year, and i put back on all i lost and more because i didn't really notice. there was always clothes that fit and i was used to, i think if i'd run out of fat(ter) clothes it would have got me back on track rather than drifting upwards. i'm getting rid as i go this time but i will keep one pair for the obligatory 'here i am in my old trousers' photo at the end :smile:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Get rid of all but 1 pair. I also kept just one pair to remember how miserable I was then. It is fun to put the size 16 jeans on over my regular jeans and zip them up and button them up and then slide them right off and Ta-Da!! there I am in my size 10 jeans!

You sound like me in that "but they are still good". So WHILE they are still good, donate all but the one pair to charity or sell them if possible. I also gave some of my better stylish clothes to a good friend who is on the weight loss trail but maybe 30pounds behind me. SHe was very greatful for the nice and stylish clothes that I gave her. While I didn't take any money from her, I did feel good that I did give them to someone who truly appreciated them and NEEDED them desparately!

Being a packrat by nature, I ended up finding my 1980's styles packed away because "they were still good"! Ha! Ha! Never mind that I went from my 30s to my 50s and forgot to factor in "style" and "appropriatness for my new older age" while I was saving everything! Ended giving them to So. Cal fire victims. Figured women who had their houses burn completely to the ground would be grateful for my "vintage" clothes that were at least clean and still "nice".
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make a clean start and turf them! Buy some cute yoga pants that are a size or two too big when you get pregnant and they will last you all the way through!

You will want more than 1 pair of pants when you are pregnant, and you will love all the fun prego fashions they have now. If you are eating well and working out lightly while pregnant you won't need giant jeans by the time your actually getting sleep and ready to go out looking nice anyway and while you are pregnant you are going to want jeans with the elasticy panel bits.

get in your jeans now....find the biggest pair of pants you owned....take a biggest loser moment photo and give those pants to someone who is desperate to find nice fashion in their size! When you are feeling like you need some motivation you take out that picture and see what a great job you have done!

Just my opion of course!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    get rid, i didn't last year, and i put back on all i lost and more because i didn't really notice. there was always clothes that fit and i was used to, i think if i'd run out of fat(ter) clothes it would have got me back on track rather than drifting upwards. i'm getting rid as i go this time but i will keep one pair for the obligatory 'here i am in my old trousers' photo at the end :smile:

Good point!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to get rid of my fat clothes. This is the 3rd time round trying to lose. The first time, I got rid of all my fat clothes. Only to gain and have to buy more. I've got plenty of storage space in my attic so they'll go up there. But I'm not quite ready to get rid of them yet.
  • kaitedid
    kaitedid Posts: 33
    Options
    I would LOVE to have a friend to give my bigger clothes to!!! I ended up selling them and I would much rather give them to someone who is a little heavier than me and on a weight loss journey!!!