Does Flavored & Sparkling water count?

Options
LilFoxtrot
LilFoxtrot Posts: 91 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guy's
So I was curious to see if you think flavored sparkling water's should be counted towards my overall water consumption? I am talking the La Croix kinda stuff that has no sugar and no sugar substitutes, it's just carbonated with unsweetened fruit flavoring. I've been hearing some pretty big 'discourse' on the matter and wanted to see what your thoughts where.

As of now I've been logging them (cans of La Croix) under snacks but it feels sorta silly to call bubbly peach water a 'snack'
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The goal is to stay hydrated. That it. How you get there is up to you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it count?

I even consider the food I eat as playing a part in hydration...
  • LilFoxtrot
    LilFoxtrot Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I happened across a particularly passionate discussion last week that was awfully divided :P Flavored water was being accused of 'cheating' in essence, was curious to know what the consensus was. It sounded awfully silly to me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    LilFoxtrot wrote: »
    I happened across a particularly passionate discussion last week that was awfully divided :P Flavored water was being accused of 'cheating' in essence, was curious to know what the consensus was. It sounded awfully silly to me.

I always have to wonder where the 32oz of water go when combined with ingredients and what are these magical ingredients that make the water disappear. ;)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    Considering things like celery, watermelon, cucumber, pineapple, etc count towards your overall water consumption, my guess would be, yes, yes it does count.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    The large coffee I'm about to consume also "counts". After all it's mostly water ... with some coffee thrown in for flavour.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Seems silly to me as well. Water is in every kind of food, to some degree. Saying that any drink doesn't count because it's not pure, plain water straight out of the tap (or bottle), is sort of like saying the sugar in a donut shouldn't count because you're not eating a spoonful of pure sugar.

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Some will disagree with me and I don't mind, but I count my Dt Dr Peppers as hydrating. I lost 50lbs drinking mostly diet sodas. I get that you want to avoid the artificial sweetener, so these won't apply to you, but if my DP counts as liquid, I see no reason why your more naturally flavored water wouldn't count. :smiley:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Seems silly to me as well. Water is in every kind of food, to some degree. Saying that any drink doesn't count because it's not pure, plain water straight out of the tap (or bottle), is sort of like saying the sugar in a donut shouldn't count because you're not eating a spoonful of pure sugar.

Wow. This. A thousand times this.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What else would it be? What do you think it turns into when you add flavor? Why would flavor make it no longer hydrating? Don't make things more complicated than they need to be by making ridiculous rules that don't make any sense (like all you can drink is plain water)
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    About 90℅ of the water I've consumed in my life was carbonated. I must've died of dehydration long ago! :pensive:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    The water in the food you eat counts, so yes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless you have problems staying hydrated would question why track water (or other hydrating liquids....) at all?

Track for calories of course but not some completely arbitrary amount of water/liquid that has a very good chance of being an inappropriate level for an individual anyway.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    I sort of aim to get at least a couple litres in.

And if I don't ... my feet let me know I'm falling behind. They cramp.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    of course. I even add my whiskey and water.