How to get an accurate reading on the scale

Options
After my old scale stopped working, I bought a new one with great reviews on Amazon. The only problem is, every time I step on (no I didn't move it), I get a drastically different weight reading. How can I get an accurate reading so I can track my weight loss week to week?

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Weigh at the same time every day, and, honestly, strip down if you have to to avoid heavy clothing messing it up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,114 Member
    Options
    Yep ... I weigh myself every morning, after the toilet and before the shower. And just me ... no clothes.

It's more about the change you see under the same conditions on one scale than a perceived "accuracy".
  • dancingshooz
    dancingshooz Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I weigh the same time every morning and wear the same type of scrubs every day when I weigh
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    My next suggestion, then, would be to only weigh once a week, if not less. You'll see much less fluctuation and likely not get as disheartened.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Do you mean it's a different weight day to day or week to week (that's normal) or you can get different readings by weighing, getting off and weighing again immediately?

The second issue may be due to the scales not sitting on a suitable hard and level surface.
  • dancingshooz
    dancingshooz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do you mean it's a different weight day to day or week to week (that's normal) or you can get different readings by weighing, getting off and weighing again immediately?

The second issue may be due to the scales not sitting on a suitable hard and level surface.

Like stepping on, stepping off, and stepping back on again
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have an uneven floor or it came with poor batteries. Check to make sure the floor is level, and check the batteries as well. Even "new" batteries in a box can be quite old
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Yeah, sounds like something is wrong with the scale.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,114 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Like stepping on, stepping off, and stepping back on again

Put it on a hard surface, not carpet.