Activity really matters, people

Options
13»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know how anyone loses weight and keeps it off without being pretty active. I'd probably just decide I'd rather be fat than eat as few calories as I'd need to stay thin and be sedentary. I'm more active that most everyone I know that is my age and I still find it hard not to overeat.

94 % of the people who lost a bunch of weight and kept it off increased their activity level, mostly by walking more.

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have the flu right now and my heartrate has been over 100 all day (even while sleeping). I'm curious if that's considered equivalent calorie burn to exercise with the same heartrate (body using energy to heal itself, etc.). Unlikely.

I'm not considering this as an actual weight loss strategy; just academic curiosity. I'm having to force myself to eat anything at all, so not terribly worried about a deficit.

I treat myself to lots of spicy Asian noodle soup when I'm sick.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you for pointing this out with some numbers. This is one of the things a lot of folks overlook with the physical disability/overweight-obesity connection: that decreased movement due to physical disability and pain can lead to considerable weight gain without gluttony when you aren't consciously changing your intake to match your new circumstances. Actually, it's strongly linked to weight gain with ageing as well as older people (generally) move less than younger versions of themselves.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I hit over 4,000 calories, some days. It really does help.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What's wrong with clipping your FitBit to your bra? That's where I wear mine.

Edit because autocorrect is a kitten some days.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Bulky and annoying, lol!
  • durstybritt
    durstybritt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I can't wait for my fitbit charge 2 to come in the maaaaill!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Keeping my Fitbit One in a pants pocket or clipped to my underwear works for me.

I have (temporarily) lost it a few times though, which would be harder to do with a device that stays on your wrist.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    You guys are making want to buy a Fitbit now. lol I was going to just get a watch, but this seems a much better alternative.

I've had mine for about 2 months now and love it, especially since I learned to properly sync it with mfp.

Picking mine up today. So like, does this thing simply add calories based on the number of steps you take daily in addition to what you log in as exercise?
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You guys are making want to buy a Fitbit now. lol I was going to just get a watch, but this seems a much better alternative.

I've had mine for about 2 months now and love it, especially since I learned to properly sync it with mfp.

Picking mine up today. So like, does this thing simply add calories based on the number of steps you take daily in addition to what you log in as exercise?

There are probably more detailed explanations in the FitBit user group but essentially:

MFP has an estimate of your NEAT based on the stats and activity level you put in. Hypothetically let's say that's 2000 cals.
    FitBit monitors your activity throughout the day and estimates a total calorie burn based on steps and any additional exercise you might log.
    If FitBit estimates you will burn 2400 today because of your activity level, your adjustment would be 400 cals.
    It is dynamic and adjusts throughout the day as it syncs with MFP so if you work out early, FitBit may think you are going to sustain that activity level all day so then when you go to work and/or are more sedentary it may give you a bigger adjustment but then back it off a little bit. A lot of people are surprised by that at first, as well as the fact that they think they "lose calories" at he end of the day, but again it's related to when you go to bed and your activity goes down since the two systems are on a 24 hour clock.
    I think FitBit gets more accurate after a few weeks because it sort of figures out your patterns and the adjustments start to be more consistent and trackable.

I think they work really well but you have to get used to it and sort of trust the two tools, if you try to pinpoint it to the single digit you'll drive yourself crazy.

Thanks for the info. Sounds exciting!!
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

There are probably more detailed explanations in the FitBit user group but essentially:

MFP has an estimate of your NEAT based on the stats and activity level you put in. Hypothetically let's say that's 2000 cals.
    FitBit monitors your activity throughout the day and estimates a total calorie burn based on steps and any additional exercise you might log.
    If FitBit estimates you will burn 2400 today because of your activity level, your adjustment would be 400 cals.
    It is dynamic and adjusts throughout the day as it syncs with MFP so if you work out early, FitBit may think you are going to sustain that activity level all day so then when you go to work and/or are more sedentary it may give you a bigger adjustment but then back it off a little bit. A lot of people are surprised by that at first, as well as the fact that they think they "lose calories" at he end of the day, but again it's related to when you go to bed and your activity goes down since the two systems are on a 24 hour clock.
    I think FitBit gets more accurate after a few weeks because it sort of figures out your patterns and the adjustments start to be more consistent and trackable.

I think they work really well but you have to get used to it and sort of trust the two tools, if you try to pinpoint it to the single digit you'll drive yourself crazy.

I've taken off the negative adjustment. Ironically I am trying to tone down my activity (30k steps a day was too little for me, waking up at 3 each morning and essentially exercise took over my life for the worse recently despite reaching my goal weight). Because of that, I realised that even waking up 30 mins later I was in a negative and it was quite disheartening and basically made me go back to my over exercising.

The overall message I agree with, just be more active. Walk the long way to the shops, walk the longer way to the toilet at the office etc. Problem for me was/is I went overboard
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Bulky and annoying, lol!

How tight are your shirts that you can tell you're wearing the fitbit, young lady? :p

I wear my One clipped to my undies which used to be fun when I'd be out for my walk and stop into a store in the middle of it so would have to slip my hand into my pants to turn the activity recorder off. I'd try to do it so surreptitiously.

Now I don't care and that hand is in my pants while walking into the store while still listening to my music.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    One of the bonuses of a clip on tracker is that it's inconspicuous,. You shouldn't be able to see or feel it, unless you're wearing super low cut, tight tops.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you really found something to motivate you! I'm sure a tracker would be a big wake-up call, even though I already know I'm very sedentary. I exercise every other day, but I'm doubtful about the prospects of me becoming more active in general, at least at this time a year. In warmer weather I get out more.