Should you feel hungry in a deficit?

Options
I have about 10-15 more lbs to lose. At first I felt very hungry in a deficit, but now very rarely. Is this normal?

Replies

• missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No, you're supposed to be able to get the nutrients your body needs and not feel hungry. Also, your body will adjust to eating less as you lose weight and time goes on. At least mine has.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's very normal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Totally depends on a lot of things! Depends on your goal and what you eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I always feel slightly hungry in a deficit, but how hungry I feel varies.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people who claim to have lost weight w/o feeling hungry. That's never been my experience at all.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I've heard of people who claim to have lost weight w/o feeling hungry. That's never been my experience at all.

Mine earlier. If I am not hungry 100% of the time I am not losing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would say that some hunger is completely normal however if you're able to diet without any hunger, congrats, that's a bonus.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've never solved the hunger issue completely. fats/protein/carbs/fruit/veggies and a million and one steaks, hunger always seems to hit somewhere.

What I have solved is dealing with the fact that some hunger is pretty normal, maybe even healthy.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That's how it worked for me. Hunger is subjective and not always an indication of needing food/not meeting nutritional requirements. I've found that for me, eating adequate amounts of protein and staying hydrated usually keeps the hungries at bay. TOM/hormones can affect hunger as can some medications, too. If you're really struggling, you can increase your intake by a couple hundred calories for a week and then gradually decrease to your prescribed deficit. No need to do it all in one fell swoop.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've found the more I exercise the less likely I am to feel hungry. Doesn't make any sense at all, but I'm OK with it.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty normal to me. I was hungry some right at first but not bad and that was with a huge deficit. Learning to adjust my diet, which allowed for larger portions, helped a lot but what helped even more was understanding that much of that hunger wasn't real. Most of it was simply boredom. My deficit is much less now that I have a lot less body fat but still pretty large and hunger is not an issue.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone who's not overeating will feel hungry some of the time. Otherwise, you're eating when you're not hungry.

I don't think you need to feel starving* all the time in a deficit. If you're miserably hungry the whole time, you need to either (a) find more satiating foods or (b) reduce your deficit or (c) both.

*Yes, it's hyperbole. First world problems. Yadda yadda. :smiley:
  • mummy_3
    mummy_3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    I've found the more I exercise the less likely I am to feel hungry. Doesn't make any sense at all, but I'm OK with it.

Same here. Im a night time snacker but If I workout for 30mins at around 6pm(when my 7 month old goes to bed) I can eat my dinner at 7pm and be fine for the night. I usually have flavoued rice cakes as a snack at night if I need to (50cals for a cheese flavoured rice cake is fine for me so I save 100 calories for two)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

I've found this to be true as well.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I don't really know but when I first began in deficit I was hungry all the time, at least I thought I was. Now not so much and I' learning the difference of being hungry and just eating because I am sitting idly around.

This was the case for me. I was uncomfortable at first when I started my deficit. After a couple weeks it got much better, but I don't know if that's because I came up things to eat (high volume/low cal) that would keep me full, OR....I started getting used to the fact that my body didn't need all the extra food that made me fat.

I think there's a mental component to this too and if people simply THINK they need to be eating more then they're going to feel hungry.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of the mental component is that probably many of us subconsciously believe that any hunger is bad, that we're never supposed to feel it. I've dealt with the issue by mindfully paying attention to what my body is feeling, and accepting the fact that neither being too full nor too hungry feels good. But there's a pretty broad area in between that feels anywhere from okay to great.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I don't really know but when I first began in deficit I was hungry all the time, at least I thought I was. Now not so much and I' learning the difference of being hungry and just eating because I am sitting idly around.

This was the case for me. I was uncomfortable at first when I started my deficit. After a couple weeks it got much better, but I don't know if that's because I came up things to eat (high volume/low cal) that would keep me full, OR....I started getting used to the fact that my body didn't need all the extra food that made me fat.

I think there's a mental component to this too and if people simply THINK they need to be eating more then they're going to feel hungry.

That is probably true for many of us.
  • DanLoginov
    DanLoginov Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    wndlady wrote: »
    I have about 10-15 more lbs to lose. At first I felt very hungry in a deficit, but now very rarely. Is this normal?

If you feel hungry, space out your meals more (4-6 + meals) and ensure you are getting enough food each day, go through the process of checking your daily calories and avoid eating processed foods.