No Fat & No Sugar... HELP!!!

Options
One of my Doctors says No Fat and No Sugar in my food choices. So what am I left with to eat... Protein & Fiber. Any ideas what I can eat? Not diabetic but have a nonalcoholic fatty liver that is causing problems and many other GI issues. I have had no appetite and barely eat for over a year and am not loosing any weight. One Doctor said to eat 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks a day... way more food than I can. Another says to do that but No Fat & No Sugar... hence me asking for Help! What can I eat?? Meat & Nuts? Are Veggies ok? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• stoneroxane
    stoneroxane Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the whole 30 diet or the dash diet may be able to help you. I follow the whole 30 diet but without the fat options
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd also get a second opinion doesn't sound correct. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure I read an article that was saying when you eat there needs to be fat their for the minerals and vitamins to be absorbed into your body or basically they get passed straight through
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/fatty-liver-disease-diet#1 (Mediteranian diet is what webmd states) You can also seek out a certified dietician
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MommaM627 wrote: »
    One of my Doctors says No Fat and No Sugar in my food choices. So what am I left with to eat... Protein & Fiber. Any ideas what I can eat? Not diabetic but have a nonalcoholic fatty liver that is causing problems and many other GI issues. I have had no appetite and barely eat for over a year and am not loosing any weight. One Doctor said to eat 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks a day... way more food than I can. Another says to do that but No Fat & No Sugar... hence me asking for Help! What can I eat?? Meat & Nuts? Are Veggies ok? Thanks for any help!

You need a referral to a dietitian.

There was another poster here for a while who was on a similar-sounding diet for NAFL, I think it was called the NASH diet (no, I don't mean DASH, and I do mean something medically prescribed), and she said the dietitian really helped her with it.

Absent a dietitian's advice, you need more explanation on what they mean by cut out fat (because you can't completely cut out fat and there are important fatty acids we do need to get from diet, not to mention fat is in a lot of foods so if they basically mean to go plant-based you need to understand that), and you need to confirm that they mean cutting out added sugar (and if you need to worry about other sugar-containing foods), since you definitely can't cut fat and go low carb at the same time, and cutting fruits and veg is probably not what is meant (but not impossible).

My understanding is that there are different dietary ways to treat NAFL, so I would NOT trust what someone on the internet says based on what they read or did vs. getting clear advice and more help from your medical team.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fatty liver is the kind of disease that improves with weight loss, so maybe focus on that before being overwhelmed by the lack of choices? Sadly, doctors should focus more on what would create the most practical change and not on what they think would create the most optimum change. Following a sustainable diet which would help you hit your health goals is leaps and bounds better than the absolute best diet for a condition that can't be sustained. In this particular case, weight loss in itself is a far stronger influencer than the type of diet. These are by no means medical recommendations, just some thoughts you may wish to share with your doctor or dietician when you get a second opinion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fatty liver is the kind of disease that improves with weight loss, so maybe focus on that before being overwhelmed by the lack of choices?

Good point, too. It could be that the doctor is suggesting what that doctor thinks would help with weight loss (including the meal timing thing), and often doctors don't really know what they are talking about there. You probably should call and ask if you are being put on a special diet or just being told to lose weight.

If the latter, we/MFP can help, I suspect.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Either your doctor and yourself have had a miscommunication, or there's a doctor out there who thinks it's okay to eliminate two of the three macro nutrients from your diet. Let's all hope it's the former.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Read that webmd page linked above.
  • kevyraf
    kevyraf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.freeist.co.uk/project/marshmallows

Fat Free & Sugar Free Marshmallows if you are looking some sort of treat!

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Freeist-Sugar-Free-Marshmallows/315599011 - if purchasing in the UK
  • essexgirl1971
    essexgirl1971 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    surely good fats are ok? nuts, advocado, oily fish etc .
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    surely good fats are ok? nuts, advocado, oily fish etc .

Pretty much it limiting SFA (if you do its from whole sources like dairy), increasing MUFA and Omega 3, and getting plenty of nutrient rich fruits and veggies while limiting junk food. Exercise and weight loss will also have a good impact from my understanding.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I doubt they literally meant zero fat, because that can cause malnutrition. Anyway, get a referral to a Registered Dietician. Following random advice on the internet could impact your health. :+1:
  • GoldenSnidget
    GoldenSnidget Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's physically impossible to have a diet with zero fat and sugar. Maybe it's no more than 15 grams of sugar a day and no more the 10 grams of fat per day???

I agree with other comments. A second opinion is a good idea and a nutritionist or dietitian. Perhaps you need food that boost liver function and cleansing. Always drink a lot of water, too!
  • EugeneBee
    EugeneBee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If your food will not be less than 40 grams of fat - then there will be problems with hair, nails and skin! When the diseased liver, the protein might not be a be a big burden on the liver!

Omega 3 and 6. Sea fish. Nuts.

Sorry for my not very good English!