Lost motivation and time !

Options
I started a healthy lifestyle in late February and lost 35lbs by the beginning of June, but with college graduation and moving and starting my 10-12 hr/day job I have not lost a lb, but gained a couple since then. I'm sick of not going anywhere, but I don't know where motivation is anymore. I don't have much time to workout and I'm always super tired when I get home from work being as I stand and lift things constantly all day. I've started snacking so much when I get home at night. I went from having basically all the time in the world to be healthy and workout. Now I have just 3 hours after work where I need to eat dinner and shower leaving no time to work out before I go to bed. What I'm trying to get at is how do you re-gain motivation for staying healthy and find time for a workout? I know there are busier people than me out there who find time to stay healthy. Anyone got some pointers?

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    There's a story that I've heard that has to do with priorities. You have a jar, several rocks, and some sand. You put the sand in first and then try to put the rocks in, and find that they won't fit. However, if you put the rocks in first, the sand fits in around the rocks and everything fits nicely.

Like you, I've found my motivation somewhat lacking, but I've decided that the important things come first. Two of my 'rocks' are working out and eating right. I get up earlier in the morning to work out because I know how hard it is to workout when you get home from a long day at work. I've also set a goal to plan out what I'm going to eat during the day so that there are no 'surprises' and less chances for overindulging.

Put the important things first in your day, and let everything else take care of itself.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It must be a priority, if it is then you will do it. Get up earlier, stay up later, skip some tv time, something. Just make it a priority!
    Good luck!
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i've lacked motivation now for a few weeks and i'm not sure if i've ever really gotten it back. like you i lost about 30lbs in 4 months after i had my little one and then i found MFP still with 40lbs to lose and its happening slowly! at the moment, i just treat exercising and eating right as a job. sorry i know its not help full but it seems to be working. i trun up 5-6 days a week and do the job and i look forward to my day off which is also a day i can have a treat foodwise. i want to keep on doing it until i fall back in love with it again. you could alawyas get exercisie dvds that are fun and do 20- 40 mins of it in the morning and a diet and exercise buddy is priceless.
    good luck xxx
  • Nancyjsp
    Nancyjsp Posts: 29
    Options
    I love that story about the rocks and the sand! I have been fearing the same situation in September. I'm a teacher with the summer off so right now I am super motivated and have much time to wrorkout. When school starts I go from 0 to 90 in like a week! I will remember that rock and sand story. : )
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well, a first thought is look for others that want to get moving. I'm motivated now because of a work-place group. The got started because of a contest run by the state health insurance plan.

Before that, though, you can look into your food intake. Make your food choices as healthy as possible and that might help you feel better. Junk makes for junky feelings. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have actually cut out almost all tv due to this but I make sure that i work out at 8pm so I can meet my fitness goals. If you really want something, it becomes a priority in your life. If you schedule it in there, it will happen. Since you have an active job though, you might need to increase your calories to keep losing. That might even be why you haven't lost any weight. I am sure you can do it.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Onc eit becomes important enough for you and you decide you really WANT to do it, you will find and make the time. I was in your position back in April and May. I came up with excuse after excuse as to why I "couldn't" exercise (sick, aches and pains, sick again, no time,...) I got up one day, feeling no better than I ahd for the previous 2 months and decided I was just sick of all the excuses and said "enough is enough! I don't care how I feel (sick, tired, achy...) I am doing this. I haven't looked back yet!
    If you don't have time at night or in the morning, how about going for a lunch time walk? Sounds like you do a lot of "exercise" for your job already, be sure to pack healthy snacks, drink lots of water, maybe invest in a HRM to see how many cals you burn a day and if you already include that in your "life style" maybe take it out and add this in as exercise instead!!
    YOu said you ahve 3 hours after work for your evening things. You could do things while you watch tv (if you do that) get an exercise ball and use it instead of sitting on a chair or couch. Do exercises in 10-15 minute intervals. You could probably get up a little earlier and do something for that amount of time before going to work and when you get home do it again. If you really want it you will make it happen!!
  • gislihh
    gislihh Posts: 10
    Options
    It looks like you are low on calories! If you are suddenly doing a physically demanding job, then it can easily increase your calorie need from 500-1500 calories per day. Try to figure out your current need so as not to go into starvation mode. Starving is bad for happyness, diet, wellbeing and hard working people.
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go, but a couple of things that have helped me is, not hving the bad food in my house, that way there is no chance to eat it. I have a sweet tooth, so to help with that I have discovered skinny cow they have ice cream and candy, so that has helped with my snacking. I also have made an effort to walk during my lucnh if I know I will not have time to work out at night. I know how crazy things can get, but you have to try to find time for yourself, you are worth it and you deserve it!!! Friend me if I can help at all

Remember, one day at a time thats all we can handle, and just try to do one small thing a day, change one thinge, eat one less thing, or exercise for just a short amount of time, and before you know it, you will be right back into a routine!! :smile:
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    There's a story that I've heard that has to do with priorities. You have a jar, several rocks, and some sand. You put the sand in first and then try to put the rocks in, and find that they won't fit. However, if you put the rocks in first, the sand fits in around the rocks and everything fits nicely.

Like you, I've found my motivation somewhat lacking, but I've decided that the important things come first. Two of my 'rocks' are working out and eating right. I get up earlier in the morning to work out because I know how hard it is to workout when you get home from a long day at work. I've also set a goal to plan out what I'm going to eat during the day so that there are no 'surprises' and less chances for overindulging.

Put the important things first in your day, and let everything else take care of itself.

Love this !!!
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I know exercise & healthy eating make me feel better in the long run but my mojo is gone! I am unable to get up early as my body requires 8-9 hours of sleep to maintain focus & do a good job every day. I don't get to bed most nights until 10:30 or so which means the alarm going off at 6:30 is all I can physically & mentally handle. I have an unbelievable amount of work right now, so I'm taking stuff home for late evening work so that I can at least fix dinner & eat with my family, who are my number one priority. The stress is killing me and to top it off, I've been battling vertigo and now have an upper back issue. I don't watch tv right now - I literally work, eat dinner, do some household chores, work some more & go to bed. We travel to our camper on the weekends - 5 hours each way - so that shoots my non work-week evenings. I do get a round of golf in on the weekends, but that is pretty much my only activity right now. I know when I originally lost weight, I went all in - workout 6-7 days a week for 60-90 minutes, no exceptions - and I think I burned myself out. My new goal is to try to get out the door or on the treadmill just 2 days a week for a walk, starting out slow again, just to get moving. Hopefully I can get my motivation to renew itself & get back in the swing of things! So maybe re-start slow & see where it takes you. The other thing I suggest is to put a "before" picture up where you see it (to remind you of where you started) and/or write down your goals & spend 5 minutes reviewing them each day. I've not tried it, but I've heard that is a great way to achieve your goals. Good luck to you!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Plan out your meals- make big batches of stuff in advance and freeze it, make dinner with extra portions and stick it in the fridge. Many nights I only have a few hours between work and bed time but I make eating right a priority. I try to get exercise over with in the morning that way it is done and out of the way. If you are feeling too overwhelmed by everything, at least eat properly. Then you can ease back into a schedule where you add exercise back in as well and you won't undo all of the hard work you have already put in.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

Very well put.

I wake up at 4:50am every day except weekends to get to the gym and workout before work. It's a small sacrifice since I am also really tired by the end of the day and when I was working out after work I would find myself skipping the gym more often.