Best diet 'take-out' food

Options
illusio
illusio Posts: 12 Member
Apols, posted in wrong forum originally.

With the vast majority of takeaway food being fat or sugar-laden, I was really surprised to find one of my favourite chinese dishes, steamed dim sum dumplings, is EXTREMELY low fat/calorie (avg 35 cals per steamed dumpling, 9 plus some spicy crackers make a fab meal for 400 cals). Having spoken to a couple of other dieters, they too were unaware and now converted, so I thought I'd:
- tell you good people, so if you're in the need for quick and tasty takeout food, you have an option other than 'dressing-free salad'!
- ask you to share what other take-out low cal/fat surprises you've found, so we can all benefit.

Replies

• bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The Jimmie John Unwhich! All my favorite sandwhiches in a lettuce wrap!!! I never feel deprived and find it refreshing and tasty!!!! :love:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I really don't like heavy sauces, so I order steamed chicken and broccoli, but I have them add fresh scallions and ginger. Its very high flavor, high fiber, high protein and low fat and only like 300 calories as well.

A few of my other favorite take out foods is egg white omelets with spinach, mushrooms, tomato and feta cheese; tuna niciose salad; roasted salmon with steam veggies.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Chinese food places with "steamed" and "oil free" dishes are great, plus it's the only easy way for me to get seafood :)

I have a Fuel health cafe by me which is the best. It's hard to figure calorie numbers (and the portions are huge,) but everything is high-protein and whole grain. They serve vegetable juice cocktails, too.

As far as normal take-out. I'm from New York, and I just cannot resist pizza, but more and more places are offering whole grain pies - which are not bad for you in the slightest! Nothing wrong with a little cheese and oil.