does housework count ?

Options
Hi' Just spent the last three hours cleaning the house. hoovering washing floors running from room to room putting things in there place. i am sweating must have burnt some calories lol i feel it any way.
Another thing is there a certain day on here that people weigh in x

Replies

• tcheryl
    tcheryl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    check in the database for calories burned while cleaning. and i think you can weigh in when it works for you--no set day.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If it makes me sweat, I count it.
  • Brittany1414
    Options
    MFP counts them
    There was a huge debate on here the other day about people saying it does and it doesnt.
    MFP gives you more calories burned then it should but it all depends on you
    If your in shape and run everyday or even cleaned your house everyday before you started this your heart rate doesnt get going from it,
    If your out of shape and overweight and cleaning is a task for you of course its gunna burn some!!
    I count it when I clean for 4 hours LOL
    Hope that helps alittle!!

Have a great day!!
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys think i'll not count it on here but still feel good i've worked hard. this is only my second day on here and i am loving it so much help and support
  • Malani2010
    Malani2010 Posts: 245
    Options
    I count it!!! Especially having a 17 month old that I am constantly cleaning up after!! lol The data base has a cleaning option all you have to do is fill out the min you cleaned and it will calculate the calories burned!
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Any movement that you do burns calories. I have a great guide I go by, created by 'Calorie King':

For light exercise: 130 lbs - 3 cals; moderate - 5 cals; and heavy 8 cals/min.
    170 lbs - 4 cals; moderate - 6 cals; and heavy 10 cals/min
    220 lbs - 5 cals; moderate - 7 cals; and heavy 12 cals/min

Examples of light are: slow walking, light gardening, bowling. Moderate - brisk walking, ballroom dancing, light aerobics; and heavy are: power walking, clibing stairs, skipping rope.

You can figure out the time it takes you for the housework and average it out using the above guide and your weight. There is also housework listed in the database here. As far as weigh-in day, it's really any day that is comfortable to you. I weigh in on Fridays, then it keeps me accountable on the weekend.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think you're right not to count it.

You'll definitely have burned calories doing it but they're lifestyle calories imo - you need calories to live your life and housework is living your life.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I counted it once because it was atypical. I was getting the house ready for an open house and went non-stop, sweating my butt off for 3 hours doing cleaning I probably haven't done in 5 years, which is why it was so bad. I don't count everyday/weekly type of cleaning. Same with gardening - I counted when we were tilling the dirt and digging the hole and planting to get the garden ready and everything in the ground, because that is a one off, but I don't count general ongoing gardening like weeding and harvesting.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If it's housework you do on a daily basis, such as picking up, laundry, etc then I wouldn't count it. You should have this accounted for in you activity level when you first set your calories, like sedentary lifestyle, etc. I do count when I do more vigorous tasks that I don't do very often, like push mower, or cleaning gutters, things like that. Just what I do, I guess you have to decide what works for you.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think you're right not to count it.

You'll definitely have burned calories doing it but they're lifestyle calories imo - you need calories to live your life and housework is living your life.

This is not true if she has here activity level set to sedantary, if she has it set to that then she should count it