New with a question......

Options
What a great site- I have been here and logging for a week- I have one question- how crucial is it to keep protein level to what is recommended for the day? I know watching carbs and fat is extremely important, but am not sure what a red minus means under protein other than I went over recommended consumption by that amount.. I can't find any general explanation of the site anywhere/
Thank you so much in advance for helping me:smile:

Replies

• yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Good question... bump!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Many of us feel that MFP has set protein and fiber goals too low. I try to stay within range ("in the green") for everything except protein and fiber. For those two, I try to eat more than what MFP says I should (go in the red).
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    It is a good thing to go over on protein. I do so almost daily. I don't want to give you any faulty advice beyond that, but do you research on how much protein you need for your body weight. MFP's protein settings are way low and carbs seem to be set too high IMO.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing. My carb setting was way too high and proteins too low. I reset them to better suit my needs and now find it much easier to stay in the greens for all categories.
  • erinem182
    erinem182 Posts: 14
    Options
    You can always re-set your macronutrient goal levels if you feel they aren't correct for you

The World Health Organisation set the protein requirement for adults at 0.6g/kg/day, with the 'safe level' (covering the protein needs of 97.5% of the population) at 0.75g/kg/day. Australia's NHMRC also set it at 0.75 whereas the USA have set it at 0.8/kg/day

Hopefully that will give some guidelines to people wishing to change their goals
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't pay any attention to anything but calories and I'm losing......as long as I exercise!