Plantar facitis

Options
I am finally deciding to do what I need to get healthy. I have a problem with my feet though due to plantar facitis. Even walking for a few miles during the day will leave me hardly able to walk the next day. Does anyone else have this problem? Can you help me with how to exercise without being crippled? I am doing hand weights. I am also going for treatment but want to be able to do some exercises.

Replies

• babbles1232000
    babbles1232000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe see a doctor. There are some stretches you can do, and roll a half frozen water bottle with your foot. I have had issues with my feet, and when there's a flare up, I cycle and do pilates. Upper body strength training as well.
  • Lindsey_Ross
    Lindsey_Ross Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a tear in my plantar fascia last year, so I tend to use the elliptical for cardio. I keep my feet flat in my sneakers and don't go up on the front pad of my foot at all the way I would if I was walking.

I also have a small foot massage roller. It was about $10 at a sports store. I can use it to role out my foot and I find it helps with soreness.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    See a podiatrist. I had it and I went to a podiatrist who is also a runner, so his plan included getting me healthy and pain free but keeping me active. He showed me how to tape my foot, then I got custom orthotics. I think the biggest help was the boot I wear to sleep. I rarely have problems now--and wearing the boot nips it in the bud!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What others said about stretches, wearing a night boot, mine is exacerbated by tight calves so massaging/stretching those has helped
  • leesagagliardi
    leesagagliardi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout when carrying lower limb injuries.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My plantar fasciitis has hugely improved from losing weight. Cycling, swimming, and water walking were great cardio when I was getting lots of pain. I never had any issues with lifting heavy weights. I haven't sought treatment, but the stretches I got off the internet were very helpful, so keep up with any exercises the doctor or PT sends you home with.
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I will be seeing a podiatrist and will probably get the night boot. I am doing the stretches also.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had PF in both my feet a few years ago at the same time. I could hardly walk on mine, exercising was not an option. I had to go to the foot doctor. With the orthotics he gave me, stretching exercises, and two rounds of steroid shots, they finally got better. Thank God it never came back, but I make sure I do the stretches every day.
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It will never go away
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you take care of it early, I think you can manage it well. I had a horrible flare and could barely walk for months. Try to only wear shoes with good arch support. And I mean only shoes with good support. No exceptions. I went out and bought some casual dress shoes with a built in support. Abebo and Vionic are just two brands with that type of support. I'll be honest, I didn't like the cost at all but those shoes were well worth the investment! I also ordered some good orthotics for my athletic shoes. Those changes made a huge difference in my pain.
    Finally, I bought some kinetic tape and learned to tape my foot properly when the pain flared at its worst. For me, the tape helped give my foot support and take down the inflammation. Stretching each day worked well too. I do yoga on a regular basis now and it seems to help keep the muscles in my legs and feet more limber.
    I wish you all the best and hope you find something that works for you. It will get better!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It will never go away

Just curious...why would you think that?
  • puttputt24
    puttputt24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Stretching your calf muscle and massaging the bottom of your foot is a great way to alleviate the pain. Others have stated to get an order for a custom foot orthotic. Orthotics will be great but can be expensive. A custom orthotic will help apply the pressure of each step evenly instead of the hot spots. Do NOT buy the over the counter orthotics as they do not work well.

Massage and stretch are the main ways we treat plantar fascia tissue. ~Student Physical therapist
  • brewerfan13
    brewerfan13 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    It will never go away

Seems to get better with rest then reappears after starting longer runs. Those that have it have it forever.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It will never go away

Seems to get better with rest then reappears after starting longer runs. Those that have it have it forever.

I've had it. I haven't had a re-occurrence in 15 years, but then I'm not a runner anymore, I hike and walk...a lot. Last time I ran seriously was 10 years ago. I would think that once you get rid of the inflammation there would be steps you could take to prevent it from coming back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It will never go away

Not true.

O.P. KT tape will give immediate relieve, you can youtube how to apply.

Lacrosse ball, golf ball, and rolling pin 2-3 times daily will help stretch the tendon.

Also as other have mentitled stretching the calves and the tendon itself will solve the problem eventually in most cases. If not, eventually a cortisol shot will fix it first time is most stubborn cases.

Basically don't ignore and stretch it a lot and you will see improvements.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can definitely escape the pain. A night boot and exercises from my doctor helped a lot, but it was finding the right shoes that made a 100 percent difference. I tried Oofos sandals and they were the turning point for me. They're all I wear unless I absolutely have to wear real shoes. I even wear them for my exercise walks and have worn out countless pairs, but it's worth finally being pain free. I don't miss waking up and cringing at the oh so miserable first step.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to strapping there are compression socks you can get. I had to wear mine all day for a few months (didnt sleep with it on). I still wear it when I run in addition to orthodics in my sneakers. Also ice the area after exercise.

Changed my footwear to supportive sandals for work, they werent expensive and the podiatrist I saw said they were fine. Avoid barefoot esp if you have hard floors/surfaces.

Mine's not 100% better, I still feel a slight tightness sensation the next day after running but its not painful. I am not 100% on doing everything your suppose to either but its definitely much improved and now no longer interferes with my daily life.
  • lombalori
    lombalori Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am finally deciding to do what I need to get healthy. I have a problem with my feet though due to plantar facitis. Even walking for a few miles during the day will leave me hardly able to walk the next day. Does anyone else have this problem? Can you help me with how to exercise without being crippled? I am doing hand weights. I am also going for treatment but want to be able to do some exercises.

I have this to thearphy has helped but still not quite gone I feel loosing my wieght will help someone tells me I got to keep pushing through pain
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Physiotherapy helped me a ton. I did a ton of stretches and strengthening exercises as well as taping my foot. Now I have no issues.
  • Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ultimately fixed mine by addressing a muscle imbalance in glute & hamstring....the problem was never my foot...that is just where the pain showed up. Stretches and the boot gave temporary relief...but finding the root cause was the real solution.