Newcomer!

Options
Good Morning all! My name is Bo and I signed up yesterday. I am tired of feeling "isolated" out there in the "skinny" world. I have been up and down all of my life...the difference is that now I am starting to develop Medical Issues. I am tired of the pain...in my joints and my head. I am open to suggestions...my biggest hurdle right now is getting started on an excercise program...any ideas?? Thanks Bo

Replies

• rydogg707
    rydogg707 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Bo, I am also recently starting this journey as well, motivation is a problem for me as well. My advice is find something you enjoy, biking, jogging, golf, boxing, spinning classes, and just jump in and try some things out. If you find you need extra motivation I've heard that joining cardio classes, like aerobics, boxing conditioning, martial arts, spinning, can really keep you motivated to going and attending class. I will tell you the first few weeks getting your stamina up is going to be really daunting and make you want to quit. I've only started 2 weeks ago and I've wanted to quit 3-4 times after every time I work out. But I'm not giving up this time around. That's the big thing, not giving up, and it's one of the hardest things to do when you are starting up after a long absence of not working out.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Start by following your calorie intake. Take your total calories and break them up in six groups. So you'll have breakfast snack lunch snack dinner snack. Your snacks should be lower calories than your meals. I don't want you to go hungry! Hey let me no if this works for you.
  • rydogg707
    rydogg707 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sweetiebelle is right, the 6 small meals a day has worked for me in the past. You want to be eating (small portions) about every 3 hours or so. I used some protein shakes and carrots or celery for my breakfast and lunch snacks, and then my dinner snack was a portion of low fat cottage cheese and some carrots or celery. You can change up the veggies for the snacks for variety.

I think that's what I'm doing wrong this time around, not regimenting my calorie intake. That is a good first step for everyone to consider I guess when getting started.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome and I notice you are getting some great advice already! It is great to find exercise that you like...it can be anything...I like playing tag and soccer with my son. Swimming is great if you have joint problems. I have found that tracking my calories is extremely important though. I would have never known how much calories are in the food I eat (a big eye opener)!!! Also add some friends!!! MFP's are really supportive and you are never alone on this journey!