What do you order at a Chinese restaurant?

Options
Hey guys, I'm with the family tonight and we are getting Chinese takeout. I usually get the steamed chicken and broccoli with brown rice. It's super healthy compared to a lot of other choices but I'm just so tired of getting the same thing every time! I wanna know what everyone else on here would normally get at a Chinese place! I'm open to new suggestions

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Chinese unless I am not counting calories. There is absolutely nothing that I'd want that would fit my calories and be filling.
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't eat Chinese unless I am not counting calories. There is absolutely nothing that I'd want that would fit my calories and be filling.

I get that! I don't even know if I would even consider my order to be "Chinese" because it's literally steamed chicken and broccoli. But you would be surprised at how filling the veggies and rice are!
  • JessMichelleCST
    JessMichelleCST Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Idk if they have it where you go but on the (now rare) occasions I get Chinese food I order green bean chicken. The chicken isn't breaded or fried, the green beans are fresh and it's spicy so it's a nice change up from the usual sauce on chicken and broccoli.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I just get egg fried rice and egg drop soup. But, I get that no matter what.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Agreed! If I'm going for it on a cheat meal then I'm going all in. But when cutting and it's the only thing around, I order steamed shrimp (water no oil) and veggies without the rice. I usually use coconut aminos or low sodium soy or sriracha from home.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Love Chinese food.

I had shrimp lo mein for dinner the other night. In general, I tend to have noodle dishes (lo mein, chow mein, mei fun) or rice dishes (shrimp fried rice, vegetable fried rice, etc.).

I also will eat beef and broccoli, any variation of chicken (sweet and sour, honey chicken, sesame chicken), and shrimp pretty much any variation of it as well.

From time to time I'll have an egg roll or a wonton too.

I prelog it and usually when I have Chinese food it's my main meal of the day.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I usually go for chicken and green pepper in blackbean sauce with boiled rice and maybe some stir fried mushrooms!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I always order Ma Po Tofu. Egg drop soup has been a favorite of mine since I was a child.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    egg rolls, spring rolls, egg drop and wonton soup...i also love the cashew chicken and beef!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I get plain steamed chicken and broccoli and change up my sauces. Sometimes I make a peanut sauce, sometimes a spicy stir fry sauce, etc.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I'm only eating from a menu, probably chicken balls with steamed rice. Otherwise, it's buffet time.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,980 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Steamed whole fish (black or stripped bass or floubder usually) topped w/ginger and scallions is one of the healthiest and tastiest dishes you could order.

Pair it w/some sauteed Chinese broccoli or bok choy w/shitaki mushrooms and steamed rice and you're done.

I could eat this all by myself but you could stretch this to serve up to 4 depending on the size of the fish. Yum!
  • Honeythighs
    Honeythighs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Egg foo young, with out the brown sauce, and white rice. Sometimes I get Sichuan tofu with white rice.
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I learned this week that one "bad" meal doesn't matter, as long as you stay within the calorie goal for the day. I screwed up first thing in the morning with an unhealthy fast food breakfast with way too many calories.

Mad with myself I confessed in my newsfeed and someone told me that one meal doesn't' matter. I thought about it for a long time. She was right. I adjusted my meals for the rest of the day and stayed within my daily goal. Plan ahead and enjoy the food you like.

Eat something you like, don't punish yourself and order something that you hate. Eat a smaller portion, take home the rest.

Less can me more!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I normally get sweet and sour chicken. I don't let one meal dictate my diet.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    I learned this week that one "bad" meal doesn't matter, as long as you stay within the calorie goal for the day. I screwed up first thing in the morning with an unhealthy fast food breakfast with way too many calories.

Mad with myself I confessed in my newsfeed and someone told me that one meal doesn't' matter. I thought about it for a long time. She was right. I adjusted my meals for the rest of the day and stayed within my daily goal. Plan ahead and enjoy the food you like.

Eat something you like, don't punish yourself and order something that you hate. Eat a smaller portion, take home the rest.

Less can me more!

I love this! It's just hard sometimes because the minute I indulge, it's like I crave everything else that's junk! I just need to train myself and my mind into balance

• FitLaughLove
    Options
    Thank you for all of the responses! They all sound so good! I ended up getting the steamed Hunan shrimp and brown rice
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like all Chinese food but generally prefer the dim sum menu. My favorite of late is soup dumplings (steamed dumplings with soup broth inside). From the regular menu, bbq pork fried rice, sauteed string beans, steamed bok choy, beef chow fun, roast duck, sizzling rice soup, and hom yu are what I usually order.

ETA: I can't believe I forgot salt and pepper shrimp. That's my absolute favorite.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Steamed fish with ginger soy scallions, pea sprouts, and a vegetarian mushroom and curd dish. (Keep in mind Chinese food is very high in sodium.)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    We get Chinese takeout pretty much weekly. My standard order is General Tso's chicken with pork-fried rice and broccoli. It's fantastic! But you've gotta find the right place.

If it has bulletproof glass in front of the counter, it's probably good.