Newcastle diabetes reversal diet

Options
Anybody done it? I started out at 319 four months ago and now at 242. On 820 calories a day. Now off all medication with normal glucose, triglycerides and liver function.

Replies

• donnyhatter
    donnyhatter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I guess that's a no for now. You can read all about it here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview

Over 40% of participants have so far rid themselves of T2 diabetes following Professor Taylor's protocol. All the published work is free to download on the link above.
    The prolonged 800 calorie restriction flies in the face of mfp's advice and much of what I read on here, but it's proved safe so far. I get the feeling Professor Taylor is heading for a Nobel prize.
  • donnyhatter
    donnyhatter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But they have demonstrated good maintenance of the reduced weight. The rapid approach to weight loss is based on the observation (for over 30 years) that T2's undergoing bariatric surgery tend to be rid of diabetes very quickly after surgery. A previous study by the Newcastle team suggests that the longer somebody is T2 the less likely they are to be able to reverse the diabetes. To me that makes it more sensible to get on with the weight loss quickly.
    In the UK health system it's not difficult to get appropriate monitoring free of charge.
    Currently the NHS is funding a much larger study with a longer period of VLCD(12-20 weeks). If this shows the current rate of reversal it would be incredibly significant for the current battle against Type 2 diabetes which in the UK at least is the biggest threat to public health and the health service itself.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this hoping people could reverse diabetes through imported beer. Super disappointed.

Dammit. Back to the tequila it is, then.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.