Any weight loss tips

Options
Is there any tips out there for weight loss?

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Besides the ones on the tens of thousands of posts already? No, those pretty much cover it.

Synopsis: enter your stats into MFP. set a goal. Eat the calories MFP gives you. Be honest. Track everything. And perhaps browse through some of the threads with similar titles to yours.
  • timjmartin23
    timjmartin23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm on a journey, I am going to lose another 100 lbs this year, already lost 24lbs since I started with a PT in mid November.

If I can share what I've found, denying yourself food or foods doesn't work - eat clean, unprocessed food for your main diet & moderation on the rest - stay in your MFP target & log everything - even if it puts you over!

Exercise is everything & don't shy from the weights as well as cardio - it accelerates your base metabolism rate & really helps.

Try not to "lose 100 lbs ... rather, lose 1lb but 100 times" ... don't know why but that makes me feel better

Add if you wish... I don't ramble on quite as much but do log every day!

Tim
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    For me. I plan. I work all week and have wednesday and sunday s off. I work 7am til 6pm so preparing for me is important ans also i think it helps with "what shall i do for tea" I use wed to prepare meals for wed/thursday /fri/sat.
    Sunday i use to prepare sun/mon/tue.
    I have a list with the meals i intent to have for the week this way i can buy/prepare as nesscary and yes scales are a good thing to help with the measurements.
    I little organised ,ok maybe a lot but it helps. Also when im at work i can think/looking forward to enjoying my tea when im home
    Whatever works for u good luck
  • timjmartin23
    timjmartin23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm on a journey, I am going to lose another 100 lbs this year, already lost 24lbs since I started with a PT in mid November.

If I can share what I've found, denying yourself food or foods doesn't work - eat clean, unprocessed food for your main diet & moderation on the rest - stay in your MFP target & log everything - even if it puts you over!

Exercise is everything & don't shy from the weights as well as cardio - it accelerates your base metabolism rate & really helps.

Try not to "lose 100 lbs ... rather, lose 1lb but 100 times" ... don't know why but that makes me feel better

Add if you wish... I don't ramble on quite as much but do log every day!

Tim
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat less.
    move more.
  • DanLoginov
    DanLoginov Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    moebuck4 wrote: »
    Is there any tips out there for weight loss?

As long as you keep your calories below your maintenance, you should lose weight. You can vary how fast you lose weight by adjusting the percentage of the deficit, but I wouldn't go below 25% below maintenance.

Try to exercise regularly if you can, although a daily 1-2 hour walk on an empty stomach should do the trick. Don't just do cardio, mix it up some weights training, bodyweight exercises, etc. Don't necessarily have to do it on an empty stomach.

As mentioned above, invest in some food scales to measure your intake exactly, and to help you make a "diet plan" check out Scoobysworkshop.com (completely free) and look for custom diet plans option on the website. It should give you exactly how much you need to eat; macronutrients/micronutrients as well as how many grams of different food you need each meal. It's a really good place to start.

Long story short, you have to be in a state of caloric deficit or a negative balance (you eat less than you burn off/use as energy each day).

It's really not hard but it does require a fair amount of dedication to prepare each meal and snack for each day. Either way, I guess you could I'm theory eat whatever you want, as long as it fits your macros and caloric goal.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
    Run More.
    Do it Forever.
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Log accurately. Eat to your calorie goal.

Totally agree a food scale measuring spoons and cups, even treet yourself to new pots and things and tupperware to motivate yourself everyone loves using new things
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't drop your calories too low initially. You'll lose a lot initially but you will end up plateauing much quicker. This is especially important when you have more to lose. I would also suggest prioritizing lifting weights over cardio, retaining your muscle mass and potentially building more depending on your diet will do more for you than the extra calories burning during cardio.
  • Becky3780
    Becky3780 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake, log all your foods (I love how fitness pal breaks all foods down ), and move more. These are things I have been doing and so far so good. Best wishes.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My best advice is that the first steps are the hardest on this journey. I have lost 60 pounds in the past and now I'm back to try and get way more serious, melt away the remaining fat and build solid muscles instead. Getting into the gym and starting my food plan was SO hard, especially the second time around, but I made myself do it the first week even though I didn't want to. By week 2, I was motivated and already seeing results. I have been on fire ever since. I also discovered weight lifting and realized I love it. If I had found it years ago, I probably wouldn't have a weight issue now. Find something you like to do!
  • cheryls1mx3
    cheryls1mx3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't drop your calories too low initially. You'll lose a lot initially but you will end up plateauing much quicker. This is especially important when you have more to lose. I would also suggest prioritizing lifting weights over cardio, retaining your muscle mass and potentially building more depending on your diet will do more for you than the extra calories burning during cardio.

Agreed You burn more fat and more calories the more muscle you have also resistance training burns more fat than cardio. Cardio is great if you are doing interval training but I personally use cardio as more of a warm up