SO YOU GOT A SWEET TOOTH ....

Options
When I look at other peoples diaries, I notice that most don't track their daily sugar intake....these are the same people who complain that their weight loss has stalled or they are not going losing as fast as they want to - and you find they eat granola bars, bowls of cereal, ice cream snacks, etc...

We all crave different things. If you are a sugar junkie take a quick read about the facts of sugar and the effect it has on your health and body. Now don't go running off screaming and hiding your last Dove chocolate square. Just read this first. It may help you to make smarter choices or at least maybe give you a little guilt trip for not monitoring your sugar intake. I feel most people don't monitor it because they know they would be over every day and don't want to make any changes. Isn't that why we are here on MFP? To make changes to our eating & fitness habits to make us all better, skinnier and healthier?

First, when reading a food label, look at the first five ingredients. If sugar or any kind of simple sugar (corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, anything ending with an -ose) is listed in the top five ingredients - then skip it.

A lot of these foods have a 'health halo' - we perceive them as being healthy, when they're really no better than a bowl of Fruit Loops. Another example is granola bars. I'm not saying they're bad foods or bad for weight loss, but if sugar is your concern - skip them!

Consumption of “added (free) sugars” includes:

table sugar (refined, processed sugars from cane, beet - sucrose - added to foods by the manufacturer, cook or consumer)
corn sugar (glucose)
corn syrup
high-fructose corn syrup commonly added to fruit juices
sugars naturally present in fruit juices
honey, and
other syrups, like molasses and maple syrup.

The term “added (free) sugars” does NOT include the sugars naturally present in:
milk (lactose)
fruit (fructose, sucrose), and
vegetables.

A report released in 2006 by the World Health Organization (WHO) urges people to limit their daily consumption of free (added) sugars to less than 10 percent of their total energy intake (Diet Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases; TRS916). This recommendation adds up to approximately 12 teaspoons (48 grams) of added (free) sugar a day based on an average 2000-calorie diet.

***So, if I'm eating a 1300 calorie a day diet - that means I should limit those added sugars (like the one in the oatmeal) to about 26g. Yikes - that adds up fast if you eat any kind of processed food or condiment!

Unlike "other" sweeteners and artificial sweeteners, STEVIA is actually healthy and offers many benefits. Stevia is an all natural plant that is many times sweeter than sugar, and it does NOT leave that "powdery" after taste a artificial sweeteners do, there is also no saccharine (which is known to cause health problems) and there have been studies linked to Stevia "assisting" in a better blood sugar (production of insulin) and other A+ health factors. I highly recommend trying it.
Added sugar is not needed in our daily diet. It is nothing but "empty calories" and poses health risks, instead of benefits. I would have to say that 30 grams of sugar consumption a day is MORE than enough, and I would also steer clear from "pre-sweetened" cereals (like your oatmeal). Also, pay close attention to the "weight control" "low-fat" yada-yada-yada-GARBAGE! They, for the most part tend to be high in calories and made with ingredients that could kill a horse...seriously though, most of the "diet foods" are BAD for you.

A list of ways sugar can negatively affect your health:

* Sugar can suppress the immune system.
* Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance.
* Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children.
* Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
* Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
* Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs).
* Sugar can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
* Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
* Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection.
* Sugar can cause kidney damage.
* Sugar can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
* Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency.
* Sugar can cause copper deficiency.
* Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
* Sugar can increase fasting levels of blood glucose.
* Sugar can promote tooth decay.
* Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
* Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children.
* Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
* Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey hair.
* Sugar can increase total cholesterol.
* Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
* High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
* Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
* Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
* Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
* Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
* Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
* Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure.
* Sugar causes food allergies.
* Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream.
* Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
* Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
* Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
* Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
* Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
* Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver.
* Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
* Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
* Sugar can cause depression.
* Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
* Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance.
* Sugar can cause hypertension.
* Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
* Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha and theta brain waves, which can alter the mind's ability to think clearly.
* Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness which increases risk of blood clots and strokes.
* Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
* Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the colon.

I think there should be a little more clarification between bad sugars (added sugars-not occurring naturally) and good sugars (milk, veggies & fruits). Processed sugars such as High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) like the cleverly named sucrose glucose - should be avoided at all costs. I know in MOST foods you will find - including bread, meats, and dairy - all have HFCS in it these days, but shop the organic section of your grocery store. If you have a Trader Joes, shop there, but still read the ingredients, just because it says it is organic it may hold some nasty surprises for you. HFCS is a process sugar, that causes your body to store fat rather than burn it, considering that your body cannot process this type of sugar it turns into fat and with all the above listed symptoms, it has a big hand in these.

There are 2 types of sugars you want to focus on, Fructose and Glucose, which can be found in grains, vegetables and fruits. Don't go hording yourself on fruit as your body can only take a certain amount during the day of fructose. Fructose will give your body the energy it needs throughout the day. Now Glucose is processed through the liver and is directly related to helping muscle growth and energy, again your body can only take in a certain amount a day. Eat fruits through the day, especially for breakfast, then especially after a workout. Later in the night eat grains and vegetables. If you buy juice always get the “no sugar added” kind, it has enough sugar from the fruits, any more and you will be over doing it.

I'm not saying that you have to forever ban a simple bite of chocolate from your life forever, but you also don't "need" it every day. Saying you "have to have it" is an excuse. If you have room in your calorie deficit for the day, eat something good for you. You know it, I know it, we all know it - don't blame others when you are tired, groggy, or not losing weight as fast as you want. Moderation is the key. Moderation does not mean one cookie every day. Of course you can have it, but don't complain when your weight and health aren't the way you want it. You made the choices to end up where you are today and will continue to do so.

Yes, have a small piece of cake on your birthday...just don't eat the whole cake!

Replies

• LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm very aware that sugar is bad for me....but I refuse to depriving myself of all the foods I love. EVERYTHING has sugar in it, and eating a card-board bland diet doesn't appeal to me. lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, Dove chocolate square… oops, I mean, thanks, I know I do better when I cut down on sugar, must re-read this a few times to remind myself why moderation is a good idea.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't eat sweets on a regular basis, but that doesn't mean I don't eat them at all either. I don't eat a bland "cardboard" diet either. My food/meals have lots of flavor and are delicious. I assumed before I wrote this that sugar junkies would become defensive....it's easier to figure out who they are that way. :blushing:

Today (of course the day I write the sugar blog) my boss at my new job, said "Here is a piece of my birthday cookie cake, let's eat with the rest of the department." Ok, I had a small piece of the cookie cake. Tonight after I get out of work I will be working off some of it. No my calories aren't over but did it kill my sugar intake.... oh yeah!

The last line said to have a piece of your birthday cake, just not eat the whole thing. Moderation....
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    this is something i struggle with because i love candy and pastries and what not... moderation is key. and i've been doing well so far.
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    lynnstar_lynnstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar "addict" so that list was a great reality check tool.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how addictive sugar is and how people refuse to quit eating it. If you didn't have it to begin with it wouldn't be an issue, but it is tough to break free of the habit. It is possible though. Of all the things that it can do to you should be enough to make you want to quit. I've drastically reduced it in my diet and feel so much better and the weight just melted off.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm very aware that sugar is bad for me....but I refuse to depriving myself of all the foods I love. EVERYTHING has sugar in it, and eating a card-board bland diet doesn't appeal to me. lol

Who says that people who limit sugars eat 'card-board bland diets'?
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

When you get rid of the sugar, you can actually taste food better. There are other sugars that can be used that aren't bad for you, btw.
    It kills me that 30 years ago, most of the junk in the country didn't even exist and the obesity rate has risen so high in the past 10 years due to all the junk. Sorry for the rant.
  • davis22b
    davis22b Posts: 31
    Options
    I enjoy smart ones strawberry shortcake. :blushing:
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When you get rid of the sugar, you can actually taste food better. There are other sugars that can be used that aren't bad for you, btw.
    It kills me that 30 years ago, most of the junk in the country didn't even exist and the obesity rate has risen so high in the past 10 years due to all the junk. Sorry for the rant.

Agreed. People need to READ the ingredients list in the foods they're buying! People buy so many things thinking they're healthy and if you check the ingredients list... you'd be astonished to find high fructose corn syrup in your bread, in your salsa, in your deli meat even! It's ridiculous. I agree that this is what's led to obesity. People think that because they're not eating chocolate, it's not got sugar in it. Not so in America! And oh my god, Special K... /endrant before I get angry.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Exactly. It's similar to sodium-at first, people sometimes feel that things are a bit bland because they are so used to massive amounts of sodium. But after a few weeks, they begin to taste food again and maybe even learn how to use spices other than salt to enhance different foods.