I need a change!!! !

Options
I've always said I wanted to loose weight every year I say iI w :( ant to loose 20lbs and still I haven't been able to its hard with work n college I hate the love handles and I just feel disgusting in my body. I Have a craving for sweets I just want to change my life positively

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    So do it ;)
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well congrats, you've taken the first step. You know you want to change and you got this app. So kudos! Here's my advice for what its worth. Start small, little changes can have huge impacts. Soda (even diet) should be removed from your diet. Pick up a bag of no carb, no calorie sweetener and use it in coffee, tea, baking, whatever instead of sugar. Replace coffee creamer with a tablespoon of Heavy Whipping Cream. Track absolutely everything that you eat or drink and try to keep your carbs below 50 for the first month, after that drop to 30. Cheese sticks make a great snack especially on the go. You mentioned college, so if you're a coffee shop type person ask for sugar free syrup and almond milk instead of regular syrup and milk. The most important thing I've learned is too not beat myself up. You can't undo what's been done, but only you control the future. So if You start stressing over something and slip up (my personal demon is Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cookie Core ice cream when I'm stressed) don't throw the whole diet away, go back to your new "normal" as soon as possible and move on. If you need any further advice, have questions, need recipe tips, whatever just let me know.

PS: Ive dropped more than 40 pounds in the last 6 months using the above tips, without exercise.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and measure your portions to start with. Remember you don't have to eliminate any foods that you enjoy you just have to eat less. Put your information into the app and eat the calories it tells you to eat. Don't give up foods you love and don't eat foods you hate that is likely to lead the failure. Good luck
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Read the getting started posts. They help you understand how the app works and how weight loss works- quite empowering!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Well congrats, you've taken the first step. You know you want to change and you got this app. So kudos! Here's my advice for what its worth. Start small, little changes can have huge impacts. Soda (even diet) should be removed from your diet. Pick up a bag of no carb, no calorie sweetener and use it in coffee, tea, baking, whatever instead of sugar. Replace coffee creamer with a tablespoon of Heavy Whipping Cream. Track absolutely everything that you eat or drink and try to keep your carbs below 50 for the first month, after that drop to 30. Cheese sticks make a great snack especially on the go. You mentioned college, so if you're a coffee shop type person ask for sugar free syrup and almond milk instead of regular syrup and milk. The most important thing I've learned is too not beat myself up. You can't undo what's been done, but only you control the future. So if You start stressing over something and slip up (my personal demon is Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cookie Core ice cream when I'm stressed) don't throw the whole diet away, go back to your new "normal" as soon as possible and move on. If you need any further advice, have questions, need recipe tips, whatever just let me know.

PS: Ive dropped more than 40 pounds in the last 6 months using the above tips, without exercise.

what's wrong with diet soda and carbs? calorie deficit OP. That's all that matters. High carb, low carb, whatever. It's whatever works for you and is sustainable
  • villacis213
    villacis213 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can I recommend trying seeing a nutritionist. An expert will be able to help you sort out a healthy eating plan without starving your body or following bad advices. In the last year i increase my walking to work and controlled my sugars and I cut out sodas completely. I have lost close to 35 pounds and this is was without gym or a nutritionist and sometimes I didn't follow so good eating habits, keep it up. Now I start a mew journey given I consulted a nutriotuonist and started attending a local gym. Keep going forward!!
  • alienws1998
    Options
    You can ignore my advice or take it. Either way I'm down 40 pounds, 5 inches off my waist. Also, I never said avoid dairy, I actually suggested cheese sticks as a snack, and heavy cream for coffee. So please don't put words in my mouth. The tips I provided have been effective for me, and are the same general principal behind Atkins, South Beach pretty much any lchf diet. The basic principles are scientifically provrn, Ketosis Diet is actually a well used medical practice. So spare me & the OP the sabotage talk from people who just don't have the will power to cut their carbs.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yeah im 80 down in 8-9 months and majority of my calories are in carbs. Even when i have PCOS and were told to do low carb. Theres zero need to limit carbs if they satisfy you o_O You do you but its probably not a long term thing to recommend. Super unnecessary carbs are fuel theres nothing wrong with carbs
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

My advice would be not to listen to any of this other than the part about moving on from a down day.

LCHF can be useful to OP under certain circumstances. It is worth a try, IMO. When I first came to the boards, I didn't know anything about macros until I thankfully saw people posting on MFP about how lowering carbs helped them to lose weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you can I recommend trying seeing a nutritionist. An expert will be able to help you sort out a healthy eating plan without starving your body or following bad advices. In the last year i increase my walking to work and controlled my sugars and I cut out sodas completely. I have lost close to 35 pounds and this is was without gym or a nutritionist and sometimes I didn't follow so good eating habits, keep it up. Now I start a mew journey given I consulted a nutriotuonist and started attending a local gym. Keep going forward!!
    I would suggest not bringing in experts needlessly. The OP didn't say they had any medical problems, they are just slightly overweight and have a craving for sweets.
    Eating well isn't that complicated. We have all the necessary tools at out disposal right here. All we have to do, is use them. That is the challenge when working with experts, too. We are the ones doing the work.
  • alienws1998
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You can ignore my advice or take it. Either way I'm down 40 pounds, 5 inches off my waist. Also, I never said avoid dairy, I actually suggested cheese sticks as a snack, and heavy cream for coffee. So please don't put words in my mouth. The tips I provided have been effective for me, and are the same general principal behind Atkins, South Beach pretty much any lchf diet. The basic principles are scientifically provrn, Ketosis Diet is actually a well used medical practice. So spare me & the OP the sabotage talk from people who just don't have the will power to cut their carbs.

How about you spare us the sabotage talk from people who don't have the will power to control their calories without cutting out carbs?

And point me to the multitude of people who low carb 5 years later.

Good for you for losing 40 lbs. I raise you 3x the weight loss while eating 50+% carbs, 165+g of SUGAR a day and reversing type 2.

So frigging what?

Both you and I cut our caloric intake relative to our expenditure.

No other magic took place.

**My apologies to the all the Keto people who understand what they are doing and understand that they are doing it that way because it works for them, just as I am eating my own way because it works for me, and who understand that we will all continue to meet our weight management goals if we continue to meet our caloric targets.

Well you got one thing right, no magic has taken place. Science has taken place. Without the carbs to burn for immediate fuel my body has turned to burning its stored fat reserves and released a chemical called Ketones into my blood stream, this process called Ketosis is a known proven medical FACT. Yes there are other ways to lose weight, and yes some of them are effective as well. That does not negate or invalidiate the effectiveness of the LCHF diet. I'm not saying nothing else works, I'm not nearly so arrogant as to suggest that my way is the only way. Stomach surgery, some calorie deficit plans (kinda iffy on those because you have to fine too the deficit rate too much), some prescription meds, some extreme exercise programs (I had a battle buddy during BCT at Fort Benning drop 40 pounds in 11 weeks through exercise) etc etc, all these things can cause weight loss. So does the advice I originally posted. Just this morning I've lost .4 pounds since yesterday. My advice was sound, based on medical research and is used as a medical treatment by doctors. Talk trash about it all you want, it works and would work for the OP too
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would start by just getting used to logging everything you eat, including sauces, oils for cooking, drinks...everything. It's amazing what you learn about yourself and your habits if you track everything that goes into your mouth each day. That alone might be enough info to get started on what changes to make. After all, it's hard to know where to start if you don't know what you're working with, right? Changes could be as simple as "Oh, I could use less cooking oil here, order steamed vegetables instead of fries there, etc..." to get the calorie amounts down.

My other advice would be, treat this like an adventure instead of a chore. So many people come in with the approach of trying to cut out "bad" foods/carbs/etc, and then ultimately find that unsustainable because life is too short to eat a boring diet. Instead, find new things and increase your variety of foods! Try a new dish you haven't tried before. Find a new way of cooking a vegetable that you previously though you didn't like. Experiment with spices. Have fun with it! No need to cut out things you love...just find alternatives or lower calorie things to love as well. Same goes for exercise. Try a new dance class, take up martial arts, whatever calls to you. Do what you love and it will never feel like work.
    Good luck, OP!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

How about you spare us the sabotage talk from people who don't have the will power to control their calories without cutting out carbs?

Good for you for losing 40 lbs. I raise you 3x the weight loss while eating 50+% carbs, 165+g of SUGAR a day and reversing type 2.

So frigging what?

**My apologies to the all the Keto people who understand what they are doing and understand that they are doing it that way because it works for them, just as I am eating my own way because it works for me, and who understand that we will all continue to meet our weight management goals if we continue to meet our caloric targets.

Well you got one thing right, no magic has taken place. Science has taken place. Without the carbs to burn for immediate fuel my body has turned to burning its stored fat reserves and released a chemical called Ketones into my blood stream, this process called Ketosis is a known proven medical FACT. Yes there are other ways to lose weight, and yes some of them are effective as well. That does not negate or invalidiate the effectiveness of the LCHF diet. I'm not saying nothing else works, I'm not nearly so arrogant as to suggest that my way is the only way. Stomach surgery, some calorie deficit plans (kinda iffy on those because you have to fine too the deficit rate too much), some prescription meds, some extreme exercise programs (I had a battle buddy during BCT at Fort Benning drop 40 pounds in 11 weeks through exercise) etc etc, all these things can cause weight loss. So does the advice I originally posted. Just this morning I've lost .4 pounds since yesterday. My advice was sound, based on medical research and is used as a medical treatment by doctors. Talk trash about it all you want, it works and would work for the OP too

It really really really is as simple as ABSORB LESS CALORIES THAN YOUR BODY SPENDS OVER A PERIOD OF TIME. Your body then consumes stored energy to keep you going. The usage of stored energy results in a reduction in weight.

Deliberately left out:
    type of energy reserves that are consumed
    method of creating the caloric deficit
    rate of loss
    weight measurement issues
    life changes necessary to achieve and maintain the weight loss

I used the word magic deliberately before. You seem to believe that there is a magical ketone that promotes meaningful weight loss over and above the level of loss that is determined by your body's energy balance. You call it science; but you believe it has magical properties.

I am glad it has magical properties for you. I personally know more than a dozen people who have used the magical LCHF method to lose weight. None lasted 2 years before the magic of bread, pasta, and chocolate cake broke the magic of ketones.

When I set out to do this, a bit over three years ago, I decided to look for long term solutions I can adhere to indefinitely.

It does take a LOT of trial and error to teach yourself new tricks. Are you afraid of a bit of effort?

Weight loss and weight maintenance is very simple. Just 10 words: ACHIEVE AN ENERGY BALANCE THAT IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR GOALS. It is not necessarily easy to do. And yes, there are additional health goals you may want to throw in there when you decide what calories to absorb.

**And yes, LCHF is ONE of the methods to achieve a correct energy balance. It is particularly effective for people with PCOS, or who are insulin resistant. If it appeals to you and you think you can maintain it for a long long time... go for it. Just don't think it has some magical property to it!
  • alienws1998
    Options
    Whatever I'm done with these forums. My way works OP and if you want more info hmu or add me so you can see my food diaries. I'm sick of arguing with these flat earthers.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

So frigging what?

Honestly I didn't fine tune anything. I eyeballed my calorie intake for 6 months and I'm down 40 lbs same as you.

SOME people need to change their diet to lose weight and I see that Atkins worked for you. Thats great! Be proud of your hard work!

My dad also likes Atkins and he's back on it (I lost count how many times he's done it since the 70's off and on).

I did Atkins too and lost weight BUT its not how I can eat for the rest of my life and pretty much you need to maintain your weight the way you lost it.