I Hate Running

Options
I really do hate running. The way it hurts, how labored my breathing becomes, how the fat-laden parts of my body feel when I start moving that fast. It's really not appealing. It's high impact and can be embarrassing to be out on the street and have people see me when I'm struggling.

I run every single day.

I run every day because it's easy to adjust to a pace I can handle while still pushing myself. When I was my least fit, I started running out of the embarrassment of being the slowest person on my high school football team. I used to run to Careless Whisper by Wham! because the pace was ideal for keeping my heart rate around 150. Yeah, I should have been listening to Missy Eliott or Kanye, but that pace made me sick. I run because once you get to that runner's high you feel unstoppable. I run because it's easy to focus on my stride and my breathing and forget everything else that's out there. I run every day because it works and I can push a little more every time I go out. I run because out of every workout plan or diet or measurement or sport I've ever tried, it's the one where I feel the most improvement.

I hate running,and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but there are worse things to do every day.

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I never look forward to running, but I feel great when I'm done so I don't think I'll ever stop.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    My mind loves running...my body not so much(knees and ankles have said no running)...so I don't run.

I love to walk...yet I hate it at the same time. Strange that but I really do have a love/hate relationship with walking.
  • xBobbieJo
    xBobbieJo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really do hate running. The way it hurts, how labored my breathing becomes, how the fat-laden parts of my body feel when I start moving that fast. It's really not appealing. It's high impact and can be embarrassing to be out on the street and have people see me when I'm struggling.

I run every single day.

I run every day because it's easy to adjust to a pace I can handle while still pushing myself. When I was my least fit, I started running out of the embarrassment of being the slowest person on my high school football team. I used to run to Careless Whisper by Wham! because the pace was ideal for keeping my heart rate around 150. Yeah, I should have been listening to Missy Eliott or Kanye, but that pace made me sick. I run because once you get to that runner's high you feel unstoppable. I run because it's easy to focus on my stride and my breathing and forget everything else that's out there. I run every day because it works and I can push a little more every time I go out. I run because out of every workout plan or diet or measurement or sport I've ever tried, it's the one where I feel the most improvement.

I hate running,and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but there are worse things to do every day.

Aww good for you! Im a runner, training for a half in march! 13.1 miles of awesome!
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    At least you keep going! I use to LOVE running. I felt like I was flying! Now I hate it.. cause Im fat. And I flop. And it hurts and is embarrassing. I want to get back to where I was when I felt like I was floating across the pavement.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    That's why I ride! Same high and fitness potentials without the strain on the body. After humming hours at 180+ watts, I can still push out 900+ watts and be fully recovered within second for more. It's amazing the places one ventures to in an hour to 8 hour ride (max saddle time but working on it) and not be completely trashed the day after.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with running. I love how it makes my inner thighs hurt (which somehow means to me that they're getting thinner) and calves hurt (same reason). Love how I can reach high heart rates.

Hate how I feel like I am about to tinkle myself.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I run every single day.

Things that you can do instead.
    1. Hike uphill
    2. Climb stairs
    3. Shadow boxing
    4. Swimming
    5. Jumping jacks
    6. Burpees
    7. Dancing

All just as good cardio as running if you push. More fun too!
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hated running when I first started and felt like I would drop dead at any moment! Now i love running...most days. Like you OP, I love the runners high. I love how far I have come and how far I can run. I love how good I feel all day after a run. I love the running community out there on the road, so friendly and supportive for the most part and I love running in the rain!
  • avds1026
    avds1026 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate it but I do it for the same reasons you do. The only time I truly hate it and have to stop for awhile is when I start to get shin splints :(
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love running for all of these same reasons!!!!!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I love running and how it makes me feel, but that doesn't mean I enjoy every single run.
    I'm just getting back into it after an injury last year and on the weekend I finally hit that point where I felt as though I could just keep on going, it felt so great. So, the first 6km or so of that run were hard(-ish) work but the last two were great! And I love races, getting out there amongst a crowd and challenging myself to get to the end really keeps me motivated.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I never look forward to it, but I feel so good when I'm done and that keeps me going. Good for you! I've added running into a lifting program to help burn some extra fat. I never thought I'd eventually enjoy it, but I do!
  • TylerJ8476
    TylerJ8476 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Why would you do something you hate????
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not so keen for the first couple of miles. After I get into the session I can run for hours.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I don't get great enjoyment out of running usually, but still do it some for the benefits. I've never really hated it. But to a point any time you do something you really don't like, you are to an extent overcoming a mental hurdle. The more you move towards being comfortable doing something you find uncomfortable the more you realize that you can put your head in another place and be less uncomfortable.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    lol... "Big Running"

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Great post. I feel 100% the same. That first step is really tough.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I used to do it to be good at the other things I liked to do. It was punishment. I pushed too hard, never felt good doing it, and hated it.

I just recently started running again after perhaps 25 years of not running, just to do it. It hurts more than it ever did before. I'm still a big guy, and not in the shape I was in 25 years ago, but after 18 months on an elliptical, I find that I am enjoying it in a way that I never did before. I can just get into a very slow steady groove and go for a few miles. I did my fifth 3 mile run yesterday and I can already feel myself improving. At no point have did I ever feel unstoppable, but I didn't stop, and I intend to continue.

In fact, I might go for a short run after my breakfast has a chance to digest a little.