Rest days make me anxious

Options
I haven't had a day off in what seems like forever because of it. Anyone else hate rest days?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope, a good workout plan includes adequate rest.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your muscles make more progress on recovery days than on workout days. I encourage you to educate yourself on the workout-recovery cycle so you embrace rest days & benefit from them. A recovery day doesn't mean you have to sit around like a bag of sand. Walking, light cardio, etc all are good.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Don't feel anxious, rest days are important but they dont mean you need to be idol... nothing wrong with an active rest day :smile:
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike them but , we gotta be nice to our bodies, it's ok to demand from them but also to care and give'em rest, nothing like lazying around on Sunday to tackle leg day on Monday for me!!!
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I hate them but I just started this also so for me its about the making sure I dont do to little I think. An anxiety issue that a break will make me lazy again. Ill consider it once I can walk 10k steps. I can barely walk 3k steps in a single session right now. I can manage 5-6k in two.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I was training for ironman. I felt so guilty about taking a day off. But I learned to love them, they are needed to make adequate gains in your training. I get how you are feeling, but take your rest days! You'll see more improvements if you do!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, your body needs rest days for recovery and repair. Your post, especially when read in the context of your other recent posts, has me concerned. You seem to be allowing your anxiety to control you and it's preventing you from adopting healthy habits. I agree with Nony_Mouse...please seek out some help from a qualified health care professional. We're worried about you.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Put it like this would you want to work everyday and never take a holiday to be good to your self and not recharge the batteries. Well not taking a rest day is like going to work everyday and having a well deserved holiday
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I haven't had a day off in what seems like forever because of it. Anyone else hate rest days?

No, days off are important for me for both mental and physical health.

You really need to get help for your issues around food and being frightened allowing yourself rest from exercise.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I love rest days esp if my body is sore
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi josh. Personally I look forward to rest days, it's part of taking care of myself,mentally and physically.
    As others have said,from a couple of your other posts it seems like you have anxieties about food and health. I hope you can get some help and advice with it.xxx
  • bisky4
    bisky4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    On my rest days I do feel a bit slack that I'm resting. I never eat over my calories for that day (as I feel guilty) and I try to be more active at work or at home.
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp that rest days aren't do absolutely nothing days. I still do an hour of yoga and if it isn't too cold take a nice walk with the dogs. If you get that anxious about you have other issues you need to work out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kejw08 wrote: »
    I agree with pp that rest days aren't do absolutely nothing days. I still do an hour of yoga and if it isn't too cold take a nice walk with the dogs. If you get that anxious about you have other issues you need to work out.

OP has an eating disorder, so yes, he does have other issues to work out.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    rest days doesnt have to mean doing nothing go hiking or do yoga, yoga is probably best seeing the comment above mine as it has a mental health aspect to it if you find a good yogi via video or in real life
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't premeditate or consciously take rest days. Some days I am just whooped, and all my body wants to do is rest. I'll let it rest because I know it will pay off, and frankly that's what I feel like doing at the time. Nothing wrong with that. But, when I get restless, it's time to do something. I find lifting heavy or straining really hard performing some pushing or pulling motion will have me wanting to rest more the next day or two. Cardio workouts, not so much.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    well i work 10-12h a day on call sometimes(80 a week) so i am forced to take rest days and i always have a kick butt workout the next day