Vegans/Plant-based looking to lose 100lbs (45kg)??

Options
CKellyTwin1
CKellyTwin1 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hello my name is Christina,
This year I have finally decided to go plant-based/Vegan. For animals, as well as for my health. I have 100lbs to lose and follow a high carb low fat diet (not too low) about 60/20/20. My goals are to eat till I am full. Intuitively. I am not looking for quick success but rather lasting results. I am aiming for about 2lbs a week. I work out regularly and looking to increase my daily activity. I'd love to have friends and accountability buddies too. [post edited by mods]

Replies

• MissRipley94
    MissRipley94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, Christina!!
    My name is Lucía and I'm also plant-based (mostly vegan). I am looking to drop around 80 lbs, and I would LOVE to share my thoughts and experiences with someone travelling the same road. I don't know about you, but I often find it difficult to share and look for support amongst the people around me, but it is a tough path, and support is needed.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally plant based, but I tend in that direction (married to an unrepentant carnivore)...more meatless meals than not.

2 lbs a week is pretty intense...that is the most 'experts' (whoever they are) say you can lose and still stay healthy. It means you have to eat 7000 calories less than you need or burn 7000 more every week. I've seen people do it but you may end up feeling deprived and hungry a lot. Good luck!

If you're heavier, it may come off faster at first, but once you lose some it slows down. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Look into the happy herbivore meal plans. I've used these for years. She adds a variety of add ons or lower fat options to meet your calorie and macro needs.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally plant based, but I tend in that direction (married to an unrepentant carnivore)...more meatless meals than not.

2 lbs a week is pretty intense...that is the most 'experts' (whoever they are) say you can lose and still stay healthy. It means you have to eat 7000 calories less than you need or burn 7000 more every week. I've seen people do it but you may end up feeling deprived and hungry a lot. Good luck!

If you're heavier, it may come off faster at first, but once you lose some it slows down. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic!

I'm on a 2 lbs a week plan and net almost 1,900 a day. If she has 100 to lose, I'm sure it's a perfectly reasonable starter goal.
  • jacdog88
    jacdog88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't use MFP much anymore as I no longer count calories but I sign in from time to time to read the message board.

I've been a long time vegetarian, 3+ year vegan and newly transitioned to a completely plant based diet. I have fibromyalgia and have found that I feel physically much better without oils or processed foods.

I bulk cook now and freeze soups, chilis, stews, etc in single serving portions on the weekend which I've found helps me stay on track. I can easily pop a serving or two out in the morning and have one for lunch or dinner if I don't have time to cook. I also try to make one fresh meal a week to keep from getting bored as well as change up the nutrients I'm getting.

I've lost about 10 lbs since the new year since eliminated oil and processed junk.

I'd like to lose between 70-100 but the last time I weighed that little I didn't like the way I look. My main goal is just to be healthier and start running again.

I'd love to have people to share recipes with.
  • katelaurel390
    katelaurel390 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not looking to lose that much, only about 50, but I've been vegan for about a year now (vegetarian before that for almost 6 years) - I keep my food diary public if you would like to add me. Feel free to message me as well, I love sharing links to my favorite vegan recipes!
  • CKellyTwin1
    CKellyTwin1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thank you for the feedback honestly. I do have quite but of weight to lose but you are probably right once I hit 190 it may slow. I have no intention of going hungry I do do not want to deprive myself. Slow and steady is what I am thinking. I don't want the weight to return!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm vegan/plant based too, for multiple reasons. I've lost about 50 so far, about 30-40 to go. I do count cals, and I do hover around 1200-1400. I've found I've adjusted, and if I'm extra hungry over that I have another snack, no biggie. I'm also a big walker and between those two I've been pretty steady, with a few stalls here and there.