Anyone tried Body Pump?

Options
I have a friend that teachers a class and she wants me to try it for sculpting. I HATE weight lifting because I'm not strong. Before I go in there and make a fool out of myself, I want to know what I'm in for.

Replies

• Jbean818
    Jbean818 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've tried it-it is a good class! At the beginning, you will see people selecting weights- for the class I tried you needed a barbell and hand weights- so you can select a lighter weight if you feel uncomfortable. It is a semi-difficult class so I would start light and then move up :)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    its a really good class. when your first starting out, keep your weight low until you know what your doing. And then next class you'll know whether or not you need to up your weights or keep them the same or go lighter. i havent done body pump in a while, but i was sore for a few days after the first couple classes.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It's brilliant. You can do it entirely at your own level. Choose light weights to start with and you will soon improve.

When you've been doing it for a while it gets a bit boring but still a great toning work out
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    also remember nobody is going to be judging you. everyone in that class at one point was a beginner.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's a great class!!! You can put as little weight as you like, when I first tried it I just used the bar with no weights and you will still get a work out. It's good to do it that way too at first so you can check your form and not do any damage if you can't get it straight away. I hope you end up giving it a go :)

It's a great burn and you'll definitely feel it afterwards!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been doing body pump for about 2 years & love it!! U don't need to lift really heavy weights as thats not the point to the class. I use 2 x 1.25lb, 2 x 2.5lb & 2 x 5lb & mix them about depending on whether doing lunges or biceps! I am 5 ft 3 ins & not very strong so do it for toning & find it a great class!!! Give it a go u will soon find what weight works for u!! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    I LOVE BodyPump. It's not offered at my new gym and I MISS IT LIKE CRAZY! It dependson the instructor but ours was very good about making sure we had proper form (key for not getting injured when you're doing cardio weights) and she challenged us. You're not going to continue to get results if you use the same weights each time it should be a progression. Lunges hurt so good my legs would shake. I would burn 600-800 calories per hour in that class. Hope you try it, it's amazing.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both do it. It is a great strength/toning work out and as everyone else has said you can start at your own level and build up.

I also hate doing weights but have found I can cope with doing Body pump and bootcamp because they are both class based and not as boring as weights machines etc.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BodyPump too, i'm 5' 4 and 50 years old and i'm NOT the oldest there! give it a go
  • jennyrowell
    jennyrowell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love it! I go on T/T at our local gym! I wish I had done it in the very beginning of my weight loss journey. Ive lost over a100 pounds and now will need skin removal!! All the exercise in the world wont tighten up all of me!! I think you will like it...Give it a try!! Good luck!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Another big fan here - in fact I'm off to a class this evening!

I do try to get my weights to the max, so I'm currently squatting with 10kg on each side of the bar. But then, I have a shouylder injury so any arm exercise I do with quite light weights, usually 2.5 kg each side.

Each routine is set to music, and the releases change every 6-8 weeks, so I find it doesn't get too boring. A good instructor makes all the difference, though.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Been doing this for about 10 weeks and I love it! I do it twice a week instead of lifting weights in the gym and my bum and arms are in a lot better shape because of it! :bigsmile:
  • littlemisskitty24
    Options
    absolutely fab class. i am gutted my new gym doesn't do it, otherwise I would so be there every opportunity. The main thing to concentrate on is getting your form right. Choose really light weights and build up slowly. If you are unsure ask the instructor they will help and some gyms do a 15 minute form class for beginners, so you can learn how to hold and lift the bar without injuring yourself.

I know it is horrid thought sometimes, but get somewhere in front of a mirror so you can always watch your technique and within weeks you will see some serious toning definition going on.

Good luck and enjoy it.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love it so much I started teaching it. No fools! Just show up a couple of minutes early and ask the instructor for help in setting up and for a couple of pointers. At the end of class follow up with them and ask them for one or two tips to help you along.