CalorieCount.com Refugee

Options
Kpaape
Kpaape Posts: 2 Member
So, as the title says I am a calorie count.com refugee. Their site is still up until March 15th but I figure there is no better time than the present to switch. I didn't even finish my last week that I planned on logging.

I am still baffled as to why they would revamp their whole site and leave out a calorie counter but alas, there isn't a dang thing we can do to change that fact.

Anywhoooo, MFP is very different in a few ways. Why doesn't it give me a cal deficit number? I mean I can figure out my BMR/TDEE and then do...you know...math but Caloriecount did that work for you.

Also, a LOT of the foods in the database don't have a Gram designation and when they do it is rounded to 100g.

If you are a calorie count refugee know that we are all in the same boat.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Kpaape wrote: »
    So, as the title says I am a calorie count.com refugee. Their site is still up until March 15th but I figure there is no better time than the present to switch. I didn't even finish my last week that I planned on logging.

I am still baffled as to why they would revamp their whole site and leave out a calorie counter but alas, there isn't a dang thing we can do to change that fact.

Anywhoooo, MFP is very different in a few ways. Why doesn't it give me a cal deficit number? I mean I can figure out my BMR/TDEE and then do...you know...math but Caloriecount did that work for you.

Also, a LOT of the foods in the database don't have a Gram designation and when they do it is rounded to 100g.

If you are a calorie count refugee know that we are all in the same boat.

Welcome!

If you find a food entry in the diary that is 100 grams, there's a pull-down menu underneath that which will include the 1 gram count. Select it, and if you had, say 77 grams of that food, just enter 77 as the number of servings. :)
  • lwr731
    lwr731 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I was on CC for a couple of years, dropped out, gained weight, and returned briefly last year. I was shocked by the decline in activity on the Forum (which was one of the big draws for me). I already had an account on MFP, so I began logging here again. I find it easier to search the database here, but then again I use US measurements. I especially like that MFP has so many commercial foods in the database.
    I previously belonged to another Forum on about.com that was terminated a year or two ago. They kept hinting that things would change when another company purchased about.com, and finally it was shut down. The explanation was that it was not attracting advertisers because the site did not generate enough hits in search engines.
    Anyway, I like it here, and I hope you find what you need.
  • Lnchace
    Lnchace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a ex cc'er! I was sad to see the site go down. I relied on it to keep me honest about what I put in my mouth. So I couldn't you know, tell myself, "I don't know WHY I can't loose weight?" I am liking MFP. Getting used to the serving sizes. But all in all it seems pretty simple and straight forward. Everything changes! That is the way of the world.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What snickers said, but also if the serving size is 100g and I had 77 grams of something I often just do 0.77 for the number of servings.

edited to add:

On your deficit number, MFP calculates your calorie goal with the deficit built in, so there's no reason for you to have to do the math yourself. But If you're wondering what your deficit is, it depends on what your goal is. For 1/2 lb per week you're given a 250 calorie deficit. For 1 lb loss per week your deficit is 500 calories, and so on. The only exception would be if your goal is too aggressive and would make your calorie goal less than 1200. 1200 calories is the lowest that MFP will automatically set it.
  • BGZzz
    BGZzz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    UGH!! Trying to learn a new site after years on CC is daunting but since my home base is closing down...here I am :-)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm not a refugee, but what a shame. This is sad. I have their recipe calculator bookmarked for when I'm curious how a recipe looks in numbers and I'm a big fan of how easy and simple it is. Oh well..

Calorie count was my second tracking site after sparkpeople which was slow and clunky, but I fled when they redesigned the calorie counter a few years ago. It was a bit of learning curve when I arrived here, and weeding out the inaccurate entries plus getting used to hunting for gram entries and working with fractions of 100 when I did find them took some time to get used to. The forums kept me around, though. This app is not perfect, and the community may be a bit more direct and less diplomatic than you might be used to, but it's a good place. Welcome!

You will find some pros and cons to this app, but the barcode scanner is an absolute masterpiece. All my attempts to find another calorie counting solution were nipped in the bud because I have not been able to find a single barcode scanner that even remotely compares to this one. Probably because I don't live in the US and obscure local brands would not be available on other databases. This database is so vast and contains foods from all over the world.
  • makame53
    makame53 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As a CC refugee (cwan), I am still finding my way around MFP. I find I'm not very fond of Sparkpeople, I miss the social aspect of CC, and not much going on yet on the Calorie Count Refugee Group on Facebook. Sigh.
  • djhlall
    djhlall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Debra and I am a cc refugee. Like my cc buddies I am trying to learn this program. I do like that I can put in the amount of spinach I ate and it took it. Needs to look for friends. Sweet dreams!
  • Kpaape
    Kpaape Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am not alone in being disappointed (I mean that is a given). There is a little bit of a learning curve as some of the features are different and not every food has a drop down or a way to change the amount etc. Also, I liked how Caloriecount would hold you accountable to at LEAST a 5 day logging "week" before you could advance to your next week of goals.

So far so good (and yes, I do like to know my running deficit total as days fluctuate over my goal and some are well under, just a way of thinking birthed by Caloriecount).

I hope you are all finding MFP to your liking.