Nagative Calorie Adjustments?

Options
Should I turn on Negative Calorie Adjustments?

I was wondering if I should turn this option on, if it is helpful? I know we have to eat to lose weight, I don't have a problem with the eating weight part! I am wondering if it will hinder me during the early phases of my weight loss journey? I have 70 lbs I would like to lose and I have just started. I will be exercising 45 minutes per day and walking, my fitbit will be on most of the time (unless I forget it or it is charging)

What do you do?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have negative calories enabled because I'm set to lightly active with a retail job that often gets me 10,000 steps. But on my off days, unless I take a walk, I can be pretty sedentary and not burn as much. This will allow MFP to see that I'm not burning as much via Fitbit and adjust my calories downward so I don't overeat. YMMV though. Some people start at sedentary and take the higher adjustment, but I prefer having higher calories to start with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Negative calorie adjustments allow your calorie goal to be *decreased* for the day when you move *less* than the activity level you set up on MFP would indicate.

So if you tell MFP you're lightly active and get, say, 1,600 calories, it will reduce your calorie goal if you have a day when you just binge watch shows on Netflix and only get off the couch to use the restroom.

So no, it won't hinder your weight loss. It will actually help you stay in a deficit if you have days when you are less active than your activity level would suggest.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Spinny08 wrote: »
    Should I turn on Negative Calorie Adjustments?

I was wondering if I should turn this option on, if it is helpful? I know we have to eat to lose weight, I don't have a problem with the eating weight part! I am wondering if it will hinder me during the early phases of my weight loss journey? I have 70 lbs I would like to lose and I have just started. I will be exercising 45 minutes per day and walking, my fitbit will be on most of the time (unless I forget it or it is charging)

What do you do?

Negative calorie adjustments keep me honest. If I'm below my stated activity level, the negative calorie adjustment kicks in.

I generally charge it overnight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • Spinny08
    Spinny08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone! I charge my fitbit overnight too.
  • occamsrazorben
    occamsrazorben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can see if you wear a fitness tracker negative adjustments could be useful. Does anyone have negative adjustments switched on when only using iPhone for data source?