Extreme soreness after workout

Options
SayLiLIG
SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all. I tried Bodypump for the first time yesterday. Directly after, I hurt and I hurt bad!!!

I could barely get up from a seated position without hurting. Here I am now laying in bed, and I can barely turn over with out my right thigh and bottom of my glute screaming at me!

I planned out getting some cardio and arms in today but I don't know if I should? If you're hurting this bad is it better to rest? I've been sore before but this barely moving and hurting like a mofo is new to me! I even sat in the hot tub last night to try and calm it down.

What would yall recommend?

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    IMO its better to rest. I couldn't use proper form when hurting and that's a recipe for injury. In fact, you may have injured yourself. High hamstring injury?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the type of soreness. Some muscle soreness is normal, especially when starting a new activity and I can usually stretch out, lightly warm up and am good to go. In more extreme cases (usually after a long jog), there is no way I can work out the next day as I have too much joint pain and wouldn't get much out of the workout anyway.
    Sounds like you have the next level pain, and should take care of that before thinking about working out again. Throbbing pain, is a lot more serious that stiffness.
  • missychrissy74
    missychrissy74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You'll probably feel better after moving. I recommend trying to swim, then the steam room. The water will work wonders on sore muscles.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it depends primarily on whether or not the soreness becomes a potential risk factor in your current exercise.

Example: Suppose I'm so sore that I can't maintain a safe spine position during a deadlift -- probably not a good idea for me to deadlift until that's resolved.

Typically though, there are at least some exercises you can do while quite sore.

Additionally I think extra movement will actually make you feel better.

Finally, I would guess that the mega-soreness was mostly due to novel stimulus. Probably way too much volume that you're not used to doing.
  • SayLiLIG
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna try and just walk it out instead of going hard today. I know I just jumped into the class and didn't warm up myself. The classes warm up consisted of squats with weights already. Lol

I'm hoping I didn't pull something but I won't rule it out.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I have an incredibley sore lower half (similar to what you're describing where you can't even turn over), I'll often just walk on the treadmill with a slight incline or ride the bike. I find this really helps get the blood circulating which can aid in recovery. Drink plenty of fluids , and stretch as well. With the walking, though, I find that sometimes my legs will go jello-ey without warning... sooooo... just be sure you're close to the rails lol

• SayLiLIG
    Options
    Yup, mine started shaking once I got up. I'm trying to stretch a little too. I'm just sore when I'm up and walking but damn when it goes to sitting or getting up. Man its a killer!
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    SayLiLIG wrote: »
    Yup, mine started shaking once I got up. I'm trying to stretch a little too. I'm just sore when I'm up and walking but damn when it goes to sitting or getting up. Man its a killer!
    Congratulations on completing your first pump class though (yesterday was pump 100!) !
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm going though that exact problem right now after doing a lower body weightlifting regime a couple days ago after not using any muscles for months lol. As brutal as it is, I enjoy it because it tells me what muscles I worked out and to keep it up. For me though I find moving helps. I went for a jog yesterday and it was temporary but it was relief. Other than that, gotta wait it out and let things heal before lifting again, as far as I know.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If it's just post workout soreness then I would try and keep moving as much as possible. It's when I stay still for too long that it really starts hurting. So at the very least I'd get up and stroll around the room every half hour or so.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Your muscles aren't used to the workout they will get used to it and you will also recover quicker. Presuming you're just sore from the work out. Then doing very light cardio is probably what you need. I'm mean really light like there is no weight say if using the spin bike, with a cadence of 95 plus. When I do strength work on the bike at the end the legs don't feel like mine. Then after spinning the legs at high cadence they usually come back around after 10 minutes to normal as the toxins have being flushed out the system. Even a nice massage is a good idea if can get. It's all about encouraging blood circulation and keeping still is the worst thing to do. Another thing that can help is the hot and cold again to get the blood circulation going
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    the Hot tub is the issue... lactic acid build up causes DOMS... taking a session in the hot tub right after... allowed that lactic acid to permeate the muscle fibers... take an advil... and no more than 3 days off... before getting back at it... we have all been there... eventually you learn... NO HOT baths or LONG hot showers until you have been at it for a while... of course it's bro science... this is MFP what do you expect?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sore from Saturday's long ski. It was so worth it!
  • Pinkylady80
    Pinkylady80 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I done Bodypump for the first time on Friday, and laughed reading your question because I'm exactly the same - I couldn't lift my arms up, move them at all really all weekend - my husband had to do all the driving, I struggled to dry my hair it turn in bed and I couldn't even get out the bath last night! I took ibuprofen and applied Deep Freeze gel, feeling a bit more like a human today! The things we put ourselves through!!
  • SayLiLIG
    Options
    I done Bodypump for the first time on Friday, and laughed reading your question because I'm exactly the same - I couldn't lift my arms up, move them at all really all weekend - my husband had to do all the driving, I struggled to dry my hair it turn in bed and I couldn't even get out the bath last night! I took ibuprofen and applied Deep Freeze gel, feeling a bit more like a human today! The things we put ourselves through!!

LOL! My arms recovered yesterday but my thighs are still terrible but definitely not like they were. I'm gonna have to introduce my body slowly to squats. :-D

Your muscles aren't used to the workout they will get used to it and you will also recover quicker. Presuming you're just sore from the work out. Then doing very light cardio is probably what you need. I'm mean really light like there is no weight say if using the spin bike, with a cadence of 95 plus. When I do strength work on the bike at the end the legs don't feel like mine. Then after spinning the legs at high cadence they usually come back around after 10 minutes to normal as the toxins have being flushed out the system. Even a nice massage is a good idea if can get. It's all about encouraging blood circulation and keeping still is the worst thing to do. Another thing that can help is the hot and cold again to get the blood circulation going

see, i thought the hot tub would help! My hubby pretty much made me get in there because of how bad it was.