I hate my bathroom scale and my body.

Options
Weighed myself this morning and weigh 5.5lbs more than yesterday. :'(:'(:'(

Replies

• Gtkozik
    Gtkozik Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That s water weight as well. Cut salt drink only water. Lots of fruits.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Well, did you have a BM first? Did you eat a lot of salt and/or carbs yesterday? You could be retaining water from it. Weight fluctuates.
  • TeachingT
    TeachingT Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I know it's discouraging, but it really sounds like water weight, or your scale is in an uneven spot on the floor. Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 19250 calories over maintenance yesterday? If not, then the above posts sum it up for you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    weights can fluctuate like that - losing weight isn't a lineal thing - look at food eaten, amount of water drunk etc
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi, I really hate my body but when I read your post it occurred to me how unfair it is to hate oneself. To be so unforgiving of my own failings.

Please don't weigh yourself everyday, unless you are investigating which foods make you retain water, or feel rubbish.

I am trying very hard to move away from self destructive behaviours. If you don't love your body, that's OK. How about you start by talking yourself up. By talking to yourself as you would want to be spoken to , or how you might talk to your younger self. Not necessarily "no...It doesn't mean he loves you". (one of mine), but forgiving things. Not excuses, we can all kid ourselves from time to time, but kindness. Acknowledge achievements (not necessarily on the scale).
  • monstermashhhhedpotatoes
    Options
    I hate to sound like a broken record but all the comments above are correct: weight fluctuates regularly. It can be healthier to weigh yourself only once a week, once a month, or better yet, not at all. Don't worry about the numbers on the scale because they can be deceiving. It could be water weight but it could also be muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. It's better to judge your loss and fitness by measurements or by how your clothes fit rather than checking your weight every day. So no worries! I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job! Don't lose hope!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound like a broken record but all the comments above are correct: weight fluctuates regularly. It can be healthier to weigh yourself only once a week, once a month, or better yet, not at all. Don't worry about the numbers on the scale because they can be deceiving. It could be water weight but it could also be muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. It's better to judge your loss and fitness by measurements or by how your clothes fit rather than checking your weight every day. So no worries! I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job! Don't lose hope!
    All the roids on the planet won't make you gain 5.5 lbs of muscle over night lol.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hang in there... all the above postings are correct. Water weight is a real thing. I magically gained 3 pounds last night!!! :wink:

But more importantly, remember that whatever the scale says is not some sort of failing grade of YOU.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself daily if you don't understand fluctuations
  • monstermashhhhedpotatoes
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    All the roids on the planet won't make you gain 5.5 lbs of muscle over night lol.

Obviously--but over time of exercising and trying to lose weight, you do build muscle, and if you build more muscle than you burn fat then your weight is going to increase, that's what I'm saying
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do some research on body weight fluctuations...they're normal...body weight isn't static. If you don't understand them or they bother you then you should definitely not weigh in daily.

Also, you should weigh in at roughly the same time of day under roughly the same conditions. For most people this is in the morning after they've used the restroom and before consuming food and beverages. If your bowels are full or you've eaten, etc then that mass will obviously show up on the scale.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Use a weight tracking app or a spreadsheet so that you can see a trend line. Weight jumps up and down but a tracking app can help you see that you're moving in a downward pattern even when your weight spikes. Hang in there!
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. The only thing I would like to add is to not be so hard on yourself. What you are going through is one of the primary reasons why it takes forever to lose weight. Its not you, nor your body. Its just they way the "game" works. Keep fighting, you're worth it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 5.5 lbs of fat overnight. You could be retaining water or something.
    Never freak out or get depressed over one weigh in. You need to look at trend over time.

Look at this thread-
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

For future reference this handy chart can be helpful-
    e01wq5bmbqz1.jpg

• Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I may have enjoyed some, er, a lot of mashed potatoes last night and I definitely didn't come anywhere close to drinking enough water yesterday. :neutral:
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Relax its not fat. Watch your sodium and it will all come off again the next day
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    water weight.... don't be so hard on yourself, you are in charge of what you eat, make today and most days count. If you put in the effort, the weight will come off.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It's scary and discouraging to see a number higher than you want or expect. Sometimes I get on and it's lower, other times it's higher, but overall, my weight is slowly coming down (which is how it works). As others have said, weight fluctuates.

Personal story: I used to give my weight too much power over my self worth. I let it determine how I felt about myself and how I imagined others thought of me. When I came to realize it was just a number, I was liberated. Prior to that, I would cringe every single time I got on, if I didn't chicken out. I am comfortable saying that I weigh 212 lbs, no longer ashamed of myself or my body. It's the only body I have, I prefer to love and accept it, rather than hate and feel shame for it.