How can I start this and stick to it for life?

Options
Hi all,

Just that really. I've started (and failed to stick at) MFP, Slimming World and other programmes many times. I bought a cross trainer, took up C25K (twice!) and even ran the Race for Life last year. But as soon as I did that, I stopped my running and haven't been out since! I really need to lose pounds and feel fitter! I just feel unhealthy, uncomfortable, demotivated and very anxious quite a lot of the time. I suffer from abdominal/digestive issues and my rubbishy snacking diet won't be helping. I know what I need to do, of course, but my motivation isn't there. I wish I could become really obsessed with losing weight and fitness and just do it!

Replies

• Huddersfield2014
    Huddersfield2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Kreesh
    I feel exactly the same.I have tried various methods ie WW,16 hour fast,5.2 diet but all to no avail.I have been a my fitness pal member now for two years but have never really stuck to it..However today is the first day for the rest of my life so I am going to give it a good shot.Please let me know how you get on and of course I will let you know my progress
    Kind regards
    Tony
  • Kreeshsheesh
    Kreeshsheesh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for the reply! You're right - we can do it if we set our minds to it! Good luck!!
  • raizelchaya
    raizelchaya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi! Happy you are here and reaching out! You wrote you feel unhealthy, uncomfortable, demotivated and very anxious quite a lot of the time. I think this is the key. You need to focus on this and not just losing weight and becoming fit. Behind all our thoughts of what we think we should do and seem to make sense are our feelings and insecurities that get in the way. If we have a strong sense of self we can easily become motivated but if not we tend to put ourselves down and become discouraged. Finding out why we feel bad about ourselves will actually help motivate ourselves to look better and feel better. Have you ever spoke to someone about your anxiety or lack of motivation? This is where you should begin, on the "inside" and it will help you eventually to do something about your "outside". I am not saying you can't begin losing weight or becoming fit if you unhappy about who you are but we must be aware that this "healthy lifestyle" for life is a journey of learning who we are and how we think and feel also. Hope these thoughts will be of some help to you! Much Success on your journey!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hallo Kreesh, I am well aware of the problems there are in trying to keep to a diet .. perhaps you are setting yourself some unrealistic goals.. in fact I would think that you are working So hard at the start that it is difficult to continue like that and then you are feeling a failure.
    Why don't you try setting yourself a mini goal so you have a more attainable one to reach and that will help you to feel good and spur you on to the next mini goal?
    I do hope you will find a way to help with your weight loss .. don't give up .. it will be worth it in the end!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Changing your lifestyle is really difficult because it takes a lot of dedication, hard work, and consistency to build healthy habits. And often, when people try to change too much too quickly, they end up abandoning all of it and reverting back to their old patterns. I agree with amyllu above that perhaps you're trying to do too much too quickly. Setting up mini goals/milestones sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe start with something as simple as logging your food every day for a week. Then see if you can do it every day for two weeks, then three and so on. Creating a reward system for yourself based on your goals/milestones can be a great way to keep yourself motivated.