How do you remove wax from apples?

Options
I've googled it. And I tried the vinegar and water solution for removing the wax on apples. I found it didn't work. What works for you? Thanks?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You can always just buy organic apples without the wax. Not sure why you care about removing it?
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small town and it's a drive to get to an Organic store otherwise that would be my preference.
    As for why, I don't want to eat wax lol. I can taste it and it feels gross. There are a tonne of solutions on google but the first one I tried didn't work. So was just hoping for a tip from someone and save me trial and erroring a bunch. Thanks again.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Warm water and a brush might work, but at that point it's probably easier to just peel it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just peel the Apple?
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Thanks, but there is a ton of nutrients in the skin that I would like to eat. Unless that's a myth.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Rushgirl82 wrote: »
    Thanks, but there is a ton of nutrients in the skin that I would like to eat. Unless that's a myth.

Which nutrients would those be, exactly? (Genuinely curious about this)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+remove+the+wax+from+apple+skin&qpvt=how+to+remove+the+wax+from+apple+skin&FORM=VDRE

http://joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com/2012/09/kitchen-tip-removing-apple-wax.html#.WHu6h4WcE2w

Wax Coating Apple Fruits-Healthy or Unhealthy
    www.arimifoods.com/wax-coating-apple-fruits-health

Just clean them thoroughly to remove any surface wax. This would also help remove any dirt and chemical ... that most of the fiber is in the skin of the apple.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Lol. Like I said, it could be a myth. But I was under the impression that there was a lot of vitamins and minerals in the skin. Skins of all fruits and veggies hold vitamins. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm open to learn new things all the time.
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    Lol. Like I said, it could be a myth. But I was under the impression that there was a lot of vitamins and minerals in the skin. Skins of all fruits and veggies hold vitamins. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm open to learn new things all the time.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/281470-nutritional-facts-on-apple-peels/ the skin is beneficial; is there a grove nearby you can go pick them yourself?
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just had to google wax covered apples - I didn't know it was even done. Apples here sold in their natural state
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Thank you very much Gisel2015! ✌️
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    this is actually what I do if it is overly waxy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1ij8Yif-Y
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I use leftover red wine and then rinse it.

Vinegar works well enough... so does hot water.

And don't peel it! Haha. Half the nutrients are just under the skin.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    I just checked the nutritional data for peeled vs whole apples on the USDA's website and the difference in nutrient value (including fiber content) is negligible. For example, a peeled apple contains 1.6g less fiber than a whole apple. He biggest difference between the two seems to be vitamin K, but we're talking about a 2% difference in %DV.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    I use leftover red wine and then rinse it.

Vinegar works well enough... so does hot water.

And don't peel it! Haha. Half the nutrients are just under the skin.

Leftover red wine? Haha. No such thing in my house ;)
    And that's what I thought about the skin.
    I'll have to try it again. Thank you.
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    I'm in a western prairie province in Canada. No locally grown apples here as far as I know. All imported. I don't mind cleaning them, just wanted to know what actually worked for people.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm in a western prairie province in Canada. No locally grown apples here as far as I know. All imported. I don't mind cleaning them, just wanted to know what actually worked for people.

What's really sad about apples (I learned this in my Master Gardener class) is that by the time you are buying an apple in a grocery store it has potentially celebrated its first birthday. Yes, they keep them in storage that long. :/
  • Rushgirl82
    Options
    Rocknut53, yes I've heard this too.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

What's really sad about apples (I learned this in my Master Gardener class) is that by the time you are buying an apple in a grocery store it has potentially celebrated its first birthday. Yes, they keep them in storage that long. :/

That's very interesting, never heard that.

I buy organic Fuji apples from Costco - a bit more expensive, but the wax on the apples is too much.

Like Rushgirl82 I love the skin on the apples.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

Apples do store well, though, or some varieties. If I go to the green market in early spring I can still buy apples. Not because they are in season (not even close), but because they are cellared.