Women with children, give me hope?

Options
So, after children the tummy area tends to go saggy and the more weight you lose the skin does seem to become looser. Can anyone with children tell me that they have managed to lose the weight but tone up the stomach enough to not have to resort to surgery?

Or am I doomed to be saggy forever or go under the knife? :(

Replies

• KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My sister in law has had four children and she has an amazing body, not an iota of fat or loose skin anywere on her. I've had four children too, but here I am desperately trying to lose a ton of weight, so I guess it just depends on how much effort you but into it and part of it will be genetics too.

Katie
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    Some people can and some people can't. I was heavy before I got pregnant.
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    Thanks, I am loosing a lot of weight and it can be seen when I'm standing up, but when I sit down you can definitely see the loose skin and I just feel disgusting :(

I'm hoping the 30day shred will help tighten my stomach, along with lotions and potions. I'm also doing pilates, swimming and the gym along with this. I just wish it weren't so loose.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    it takes about 2 years for things to firm up and go back to normal
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm working on mine.. and through time it does get better! Just keep working out and eat healthy and you'll see results. I have many friends who have children that have great bodies. It is possible. If they can do it, we can too! Best wishes!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Wen I stand up and suck my tummy in, it's not bad at all, pretty damn good even, if I may say so myself.
    But when I do a plank, or push-ups, this flap of loose skin is hanging down. Don't think I'll ever get rid of that. Then again, who ever is going to see me in that pose anyway?
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Genetics. I was dealt a crappy stomach skin gene, mine will never look the way it did pre-kids. BUT, some people snap right back and look like theyve never had children...my SIL is one of them and I kinda hate her for it. lol
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    you are young, that will work in your favour.........diet and exercise
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I only put on 2 stone max when I was carrying including baby and water and she was born at 7lb 6oz and I'm a flat toned stomach again ok I had an 8 pack before I had her and only at a 4 pack now but no saggy skin on my tummy, I've known lots of people to actually be skinner after they have had kiddies then before, all depends on how much weight you carried before, during and how much you then lose and over what length of time oh and your age too
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I had 5 C-sections. My stomache was a mess. So I opted for a tummy tuck.
  • smoccardine
    Options
    Pilates has really helped me tone up all of those post-baby-sagging areas on my body, especially the tummy and thighs. There is hope!
  • nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Lots of toning exercises!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's all individual. My best friend was very small before her kids and she is about a size 6 now, but she still has a floppy belly even though she works out. And then I know other people with more kids and a flat stomach. I think a lot depends on your skin type (thinner or thicker). Whether or not your skin is great again, toned muscle underneath is still a good thing.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, skin elasticity is largely guided by genetics. It certainly IS possible for it to bounce back, but not everyone does. But, like stretch marks, there is not much you can do about it. I'm right there with you...I'll always be battling the looser skin.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i gained 110 between my 2 kids (22 months old and 8 months old) and have lost 88 since my youngest. and my belly is so gross
    I hate it, but I know that the chances of it going away on it's own are pretty small. I have another 20-30 lbs to go and once I am done I will focus on tightening but if it doesn't work then I will be having a tummy tuck in a few years, since I am having a breast reduction in a few months I am not doing a tummy tuck until I am fully healed from that

but if you find a way to get rid of it let me know

i have done all of jullian michaels dvd's and there aren't enough ab stuff in them to help I don't think

I am hopefully starting insanity on the 1st and I heard that helps
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I will be one of those "never- the-same" people... I have bad stomach gene and you should see the stretch marks... the worst is that most of it happened with the first of my 4 children. On top of that, I do have the c-section flap of skin on the bottom, but if you lose slow like you are supposed to and tone as you go, it does shrink with time. I have recently been debating skin firming creams, but know that the cocoa butter did nothing for the stretch marks with pregnancy, so perhaps skin firming cream won't either... grrr. Maybe I'll just slather Preparation H all over my belly and wrap in saran wrap for a few nights!
  • Tuckerboy39
    Tuckerboy39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it's just genetics. Just keep eating healthy and exercise regularly and be a good healthy role model for your children!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think it really comes down to genetics and how you carried your pregnancies. I'm a mother of two, but I have been blessed in the skin area. I didn't get stretch marks and I don't have any sagging or loose skin. Both of my children were under 7 lbs too. With cardio, strength training and a clean diet... you will lose any remaining belly fat. I would reassess the skin situation at that time because it is really hard to tell what our stomachs look like until the belly fat is gone. Good luck!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Try wearing a girdle from morning to night and take it off at night time. This is what I plan to do. I had a c-section and have a big belly :( so I need extra support in that area. I am going to buy a girdle today St dullards and start wearing it under my work clothes. I really hope this plus exercise helps!
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am working on it! I have hope..not giving up yet!