Beginning Yoga advice

Options
I'm entertaining the idea of starting to practice yoga.

How do you even start? I have little patience for beginning yoga videos because it's like they are talking to a 5 year old. Does anyone recommend any videos that are not painful to watch or starting poses?

Replies

• sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    on youtube if you search 30days of yoga there is a super easy begining set after the first couple days id recommend adding another video so its more of a workout. A good sequence to start with in sun salutation when you wake up. yoga esspecially in the begining can seem boring but its adjusting to prooper form and such takes time
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Agreed re sun salutations. Downward dog (which is part of the sun salutation), warrior pose, child pose, and happy baby are also a good place to start for beginners. As for tips, the various teachers I've had have always reminded us to be present, focus on our breathing, and to listen to our bodies. Don't try to force yourself into a pose that your body can't handle yet. Do the suggested variations and you'll slowly work your way up.

Unfortunately, I don't have any YouTube videos to recommend, as I've always preferred going to classes at a studio.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's worth asking around town to see who the best teachers for beginners are - because like the poster above said, proper form is important.

Really, really, important! You can hurt yourself otherwise.

And the best teachers will explain what a pose looks like, and feels like both when you're doing it right AND when you're doing it wrong. They'll demonstrate poses, and you should be comfortable with them adjusting you when you try a pose. I'd recommend starting with hatha yoga - other types will expect you to have some facility with poses ahead of time.

After that, it's practice. It took me five years of semi-regular classes to finally feel what I'd been taught.

Good luck!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I recently re-started yoga. I've been using Yoga with Adrienne on youtube. Right now I prefer the videos because they fit into any time frame I have. She also has several videos for beginners.
  • quasi_economist
    quasi_economist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go to (donation based) classes once a week. Love it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'd really recommend a studio for a complete beginner. There are so many nuances to doing the poses you are unlikely to pick up from any video. Try Groupon or Living Social for deals. I joined my current studio with a Groupon for unlimited classes for $49 for the first month. Classes are normally $19 each, and the studio has lots of package deals.

And I'd recommend a studio over a yoga class at the gym. Been to a couple at a few gyms and there is no comparison to the quality of the instruction at the studio.

I love it! My range of motion and tension has decreased and I have lost a lot of body fat, esp. in my back. I was in maintenance when I began and have noticed. Huge difference in the way my clothes fit, without the scale changing much. And I take the peace of mind with me outside of class. I go for 90 minute vinyasa flow classes 4-5 times a week. :heart:
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a lot of experience with form while stretching like mentioned, I would attend a couple of beginner classes to get some feedback about form before practicing on your own. If you already have experience and knowledge on proper form then Yoga with Adriene is fantastic, she does a couple of 30 day challenges with are great, I couldn't recommend her videos enough!
  • rainbowpuddles
    rainbowpuddles Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Many studios have classes specifically for beginners. That is how I got started. The instructor should understand you're new, and show you all the basics, from identifying the poses to proper form to moving with your breath, etc. They should also show you MODIFICATIONS and I encourage you to use them all to start with until you're more comfortable. Then remove the modifications as you progress and advance. I went from modifying almost every pose possible to all advanced moves -- but not overnight! And I definitely am always learning and progressing with my practice. Aim to do just a little bit more than the last time and you'll get there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,960 Member
    Options
    I'm a yoga teacher and I think learning Sun Salutations from videos is a terrible idea. Your neck will be misaligned if you are trying to watch the video while in the poses and you will have no idea if the rest of your form is correct or not.

Please do learn the basics at a yoga studio.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm a yoga teacher and I think learning Sun Salutations from videos is a terrible idea. Your neck will be misaligned if you are trying to watch the video while in the poses and you will have no idea if the rest of your form is correct or not.

Please do learn the basics at a yoga studio.

I'm glad you said that because I always wonder about that when I'm doing yoga. I think, this can't be good, having to constantly crane my neck into very unnatural positions to look at the screen. I've rarely found a video where the instructor does a good enough job describing the movements that I don't have to look up every few seconds.
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I also don't like videos but this one is amazing and it was the only video I was able to follow for the whole session. He is amazing. http://amzn.to/2iFftpZ
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My advice is to not get discouraged if you can't pose like the instructor. This got to me so bad, but I learned to listen to my body. Can't touch you're toes? So what! Don't be afraid to bend your knees. With practice you will be able to do so many things with you're body. Like weight loss, it takes time and patience. Just listen to your body and don't hurt yourself.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love yoga with Adrienne but I've done a lot if pilates and yoga-style physio over the years and am comfortable with stretchy/strength exercises like that. Would def recommended going to a pro if you're a total beginner.
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a great way to loosen up tight muscles before and after a workout! As well as stress relief!
  • greeder1
    greeder1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would look for classes like "Gentle Stretch" to start and get your feet wet. Most yoga studios are very welcoming and positive places, and the teachers and fellow students are not judgmental or looking to see if you can do a pose perfectly or a certain way. I was very scared I would look like an idiot but it wasn't like that at all.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i second the 30 days with Adriene.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm entertaining the idea of starting to practice yoga.

How do you even start? I have little patience for beginning yoga videos because it's like they are talking to a 5 year old. Does anyone recommend any videos that are not painful to watch or starting poses?

I don't have money for a studio or gym, so I rely on videos and so on. And there is a LOT of variety in yoga teachers

One idea is to check out YouTube and get a sense of the instructor. Yoga has a LOT of diversity in terms of focus, philosophy, style, and so on.

Also, many libraries will have yoga videos. That way you can check out stuff for free.

My advice is to find an instructor you like.

I like Rodney Yee...he's a big name in yoga and certainly doesn't do that "talking down" thing. He's done a ton of videos so there's likely a yoga video in your time, ability, and interest range.

Finally, don't do anything painful, or push yourself beyond your boundaries. In Hatha yoga I've been taught to return to child pose or simply stand or sit if need be. Or return to an easier pose. I've been doing yoga for years but there are simply some poses I just haven't been able to do...and that's OK.