Do you run on treadmill with incline?

Options

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    leaninsc wrote: »
    I keep the treadmill on 1.0. It's funny, I've been doing that for so long, when it is at 0, it actually feels really flat!

I, also, keep it at 1.0 unless I'm "running" the "hill" program. And, yes, 0 does feel almost like running downhill.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Isn't a small incline supposed to serve as the "resistance" you get when running off the treadmill? I mean, let's face it, with a treadmill belt that is moving, you are getting some assistance with your stride. Having said that, running at 0% incline is a workout for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Isn't a small incline supposed to serve as the "resistance" you get when running off the treadmill?

No

The received wisdom around inclined to simulate the real have some grounding in truth, but only really when you're running at. 4.5min/ km or faster.

• DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No need if attaining the heart rate you want to train at. I set myself a specific heart rate and just do a brisk walk, adjusting the incline till I steady out at about 120 BPM, which is my training target. I don't need to run to achieve that unless I want to do it on the flat...
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I use to do a fast pace walk on the TM at an incline of 3-5. I found it really aggravated a previous leg and ankle injury and went back to 0 and have left it there since. I'm actually kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one that has injury aggravation when using an incline. I thought it was just me being a weenie. :p
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agree with most people here, I find anything above 1% incline is actually harder than pounding the pavement.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I start at 7.3mph and 1% incline. Anything higher I find uncomfortable.

Once I get over 9mph I dial down to 0%. Generally finish my runs doing 9.6mph-10.1. Total of 6.2 miles around 41 minutes.

Pretty sure I'm getting quite a workout. However I wear a hrm and use a footpod to calibrate speed and the calories burned according to my watch is pretty darn close to when I do the same distance outside (~650 calories)

Keep in mind I'm starting slower on the treadmill and finishing faster vs outside where it's more of a consistent pace.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    That's like saying fast walking is pointless. It's still physical movement. You would incline it to mimic more of the movement of being outside though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IMO, incline is for walking during injury recovery pre run clearance and for hill training. That being said. I've always had access to tracks and trails and don't like how I have to adjust my stride to fit on the treadmill
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't. It's painful. I save my incline feature for walking.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is hard enough without setting the incline up. Maybe if it felt too easy I'd up it, but for now I just bump up the speed.

I really don't feel like running outside is harder either, but I'm terrible at pacing. I assume I'm running a bit slower since I don't have a belt forcing me to keep up at specific speed.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I honestly walk on a treadmill slowly with no incline, fat powerlifter style.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I enjoy adjusting from flat to incline and adjusting my speed as well. I did a five minute "hike" up a 20% incline as part of my treadmill workout today. Great workout!
  • Becb1980
    Becb1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was once told that running on a treadmill was assisted running therefore you should set an incline to replicate outdoor running. I only run outside now as I find treadmill running boring.. I like to have a good nosey out and about, my other half calls it "getting my eye full"
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that a slight incline can help to prevent shin splint pain. I have no idea if there's any truth in that. Sometimes I add .5 or 1% incline, sometimes I don't, sometimes I mix it up during the run. Either way I know I'm getting a workout from my HR and the sweat pouring off me!
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I only use the incline on my non-running days. I never use incline when I run and no one will ever convince me that it isn't a workout. My heart rate climbs and I'm dripping with sweat when I'm finished. It's not pointless. Time for your boyfriend's brother to quit giving out advice. ;)
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The only time I use an incline are "hill" days about once a week. Other than that I always have it on zero incline. Personally unless it's a hilly course or poor weather conditions I find running outside easier than the treadmill.
  • jbmackey5
    jbmackey5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ever since i can remember ive done a 1% min. i mostly do intervals and mix it up but never go below 1. i will go up to a 2, 3, 4, and 5% and then taper down .5 every 30 seconds. its an incredible workout and does so much more than just a slow pace with no incline.

I did my first half marathon last year and i made my best runs during the hill stages and i felt this prepared me for it. Finished at 98 minutes
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The incline makes the speed more difficult. That is, 1 degree of incline causes you to work a little harder to maintain your speed. Your heart reaches a higher heartbeat rate. If you ever take a doctor-supervised stress test, they have you walk on an incline at 15 degrees and you will indeed reach your highest possible heart rate or die trying.