What is a good calorie count for losing weight?

Options
Is 1200 to low?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you put your stats into MFP and seen what it gives you?
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200. But I consulted with my doctor first and because I'm a vegetarian, I take vitamin supplements to meet my daily nutritional needs.
  • gailmagers
    gailmagers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Think I need some vitamins. Have felt drained last 3 days.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That depends on numerous factors. Age, height, weight, gender, activity levels, etc. I was given 1200 by MFP, but hated it, so changed it myself to 1600. Much better, for me.

If the 1200 is what the program gave you, remember that you are supposed to eat back exercise calories (I recommend only about 50% of them, until you see how it's working for you, they tend to be overstated for many people). Give it several weeks and reevaluate.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    A "good calorie count for losing weight" depends entirely on your stats (height, weight, how much you have to lose, how much you'd like to lose per week, etc). That said, 1200 calories/day is generally considered the bare minimum required for women.
  • gailmagers
    gailmagers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Gonna raise mine to 1500 and see if i stop feeling weak.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Put simply -- there isn't one.

Every person's body is unique and has different needs. You need to find what the lowest amount is that still sustains your body and keeps you healthy. There are several TDEE calculators that you can use to find out how much you naturally burn in a day. You can use this information to help pick a deficit that is sustainable.

1200 calories is an acceptable amount for me, but I am a very tiny short woman. For a man or a taller woman, or anyone with different needs, it might not be. 1200 calorie eaters are typically advised to consult a doctor before eating such low amounts. For me, it works. For you, it might not. But you should never ever feel weak or deprived. Take care of yourself. Health is more than your weight.