Foods that are supposed to fill you up, but dont for you

Options
I know there is a satiety chart and articles on foods that apparently keep you full or make you feel full, but somehow i have some that i can eat a ton of and not feel full at all

1. Eggs- I eat 8-10 a day. I make a 5 egg omelette after working out and i swear i could eat another 5.

2. Oatmeal- im always hungrier after eating oatmeal. And no i dont eat the instant stuff, im talking the original

3. Whey- Whey is fast absorbing so for me its like a sugar rush when i consume it. I much prefer soy or casein to keep me fuller

4. Steak- I love to grill a nice steak, but for macros i have to cap it usually at 12-14 oz, but im always hungry after a good steak

5. Fish- A few weeks back i ate a whole pound of fish with some potatoes and veggies and still wanted more.

any others for people?

Replies

• eday79
    eday79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Me too (no2). Oatmeal makes me hungrier, if I have it for breakfast, I end up eating a double breakie! :/
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Eggs for sure. I can have eggs for breakfast, but if I want to stay full I have to have them with toast or I'm hungry 30 minutes later.

Oatmeal. Tasty but just like eggs, I'm hungry within 30 minutes.

Fat. It doesn't keep me full, it just makes me feel queasy.

Protein. Eating protein makes me full for protein only. So if I'm having chicken, or steak (or any meat really), I'll reach a point where I can't possibly eat another bite of it, but I'll still be hungry for other foods.

Salad/vegetables. I can eat mountains of vegetables and still be hungry after. The advice people give to load up on veggies to stay full is horrible advice for me. Does not work.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    oatmeal has never filled me up ever. bums me out.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Fiber does absolutely nothing for me on the satiety front. Fats, only so-so. Protein definitely fills me up.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal only keeps my stomach happy for about an hour, which is a pity because would love to eat it during the week but no way would I last until my lunch at work. Eating fruit is useless to me when I am hungry, I just eat it and then keep looking for something to satisfy my hunger (for me protein of some kind usually works).
  • jbmackey5
    jbmackey5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    "Salad/vegetables. I can eat mountains of vegetables and still be hungry after. The advice people give to load up on veggies to stay full is horrible advice for me. Does not work."

lol me too. I was at a NYE party and swear i ate a whole bag of carrots and celery and broccoli and it did nothing to stop me from eating massive amounts of food for the main course.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I'm same when I just eat one thing (one carb or fat or protein). Oatmeal - I'm like some of you...not doing it for me but if I mix in an egg or whites/ and nuts or pb then it's great.
  • moefinch
    moefinch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Apples. My tummy growls the moment I'm finished eating one.
  • coralietg
    coralietg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. It will fill my husband up for hours, but I'll be hungry again an hour after eating. It's pretty annoying.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Apples are the worst for me....I'm more hungry after I eat one than I was before.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I agree on eggs and fish!
    I could eat a mountain of eggs and still feel hungry and a portion of fish is pretty sad looking to me.

I've never been an oatmeal eater so I'm not sure how I'd feel after eating it.

Frozen dinners are sad too. I look at the portion and feel like I could eat at least 3 of them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eggs
  • Shawn_in_OKC
    Shawn_in_OKC Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chinese food.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Im so glad im not alone on the egg bit... i've tried everything, even with toast it doesn't work well. I keep hard boiled egg(s) for a snack instead.

Protein drinks of any sort never filled me up. I don't do them anymore for that reason,and for the simple fact its not really food.

Smoothies do nothing for me, either. I tried doing breakfast ones to get in more fruit/vegetables but i just couldn't drink my breakfast
  • jbmackey5
    jbmackey5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lol, Chinese food doesn't fill you up? I never knew anyone who got full from chinese
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and most fruit don't fill me up. Eggs totally fill me up.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Fat.

Doesn't fill me up in the least.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Same here but I think it's more the fact that it's in my head, not my stomach. My brain says it wants more but my body says, I'm good.
  • lizzymay1990
    lizzymay1990 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Apples. I could eat 10... wouldn't make a difference
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Beans I could eat a hill of them.